It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 05:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Premium Member
There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2014, 01:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (01:03) correct 75% (01:22) wrong based on 1385 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar eclipse or a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself.

A) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself
B) an explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough that they seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience themselves
C) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and so dramatic that it seems like a metaphor for the virtue of patience itself
D) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough as to seem like a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves
E) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic that they seem to be a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Really appreciate Kudos!

12 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2014, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This one is copied from NYtimes :
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/08/nyreg ... .html?_r=0

Original::
There are a few acts of nature, such as the passage of Halley’s comet or the transit of Venus, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtues of patience itself. <<-- here virtues is plural -- I think that's a mistake in this sentence.

There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar eclipse or a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself.

Splits are:
1) a dormant volcano exploding V/S an explosion of a dormant volcano
2) so rare and so dramatic as to V/S that are so rare and so dramatic that V/S that are so rare and dramatic enough that/as to
3) itself V/S themselves.

Lets take split-3 first : here itself is used to put emphasis on the virtue of patience. the virtue of patience is singular thus itself is fine. Thus, we can eliminate B ,D and E.

Between A and C: In C pronoun it is not appropriate as few acts of nature is a plural entity.

A) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself
B) an explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough that they seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience themselves
C) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and so dramatic that it seems like a metaphor for the virtue of patience itself
D) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough as to seem like a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves
E) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic that they seem to be a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves

Takeaway :
Itself and themselves can be used as reflexive pronoun or as noun intensifier. For more details refer page 233-234, MGMAT SC.
Check whether itself or themselves is following a verb or a noun, if it is following a verb then there are high chances that it is working as reflexive pronoun, or if it is following a noun then definitely it is used to put emphasis on the presence of that noun in the sentence and accordingly we will have to choose plural or singular form of reflexive pronoun.

Where we use reflexive pronoun : We use reflexive pronoun if action is done by subject on itself. e.g. He killed himself -- action done on self.

Incorrect usage: MR. XYZ will come for lunch with myself. << Incorrect. -- instead of myself use me.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager
Re: There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2014, 08:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself – Correct. 'Itself' refers to virtue. Hence correct
B) an explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough that they seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience themselves Incorrect. Themselves is plural whereas virtue is singular
C) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and so dramatic that it seems like a metaphor for the virtue of patience itself – Incorrect ‘it’ is ambiguous. should be plural to refer to acts of nature
D) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough as to seem like a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves Incorrect. Themselves is plural whereas virtue is singular
E) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic that they seem to be a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves Incorrect. Themselves is plural whereas virtue is singular
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2014, 00:47
NeverSurrender wrote:

OE is as follows:

In a confusing and unusual sentence such as this, it is essential that you find the easiest, most concrete errors first. The easiest error is found in (C) – the “it” improperly refers back to the plural “acts of nature”. (B) and (D) both contain the illogical and incorrect structure “so rare and dramatic enough” and also use “themselves” improperly at the end. “Themselves” is referring to patience so must be singular. (E) is correct until the very end (and contains the “so…that” structure that people prefer over “so as to” ) where it also contains the error with “themselves” It makes no sense to say “that they (the acts of nature) seem to be a metaphor…themselves” Correct – “they seem to be a metaphor for the virtue of patience ITSELF” - emphasizing that the acts are a metaphor for that one core virtue. Many people do not pick (A) because of the unusual “so…as to” idiom but that is exactly the kind of decision point that you are unqualified to make! “So…as to” in this example is perfectly correct and only (A) has all of the other elements correctly structured. Correct answer is (A).
Chat Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 23:16
I think 'a dormant volcano exploding' is terrible wording. How they included it in a correct answer?

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2015, 01:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
PiyushK wrote:

There are a few acts of nature, such as the passage of Halley’s comet or the transit of Venus, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtues of patience itself. <<-- here virtues is plural -- I think that's a mistake in this sentence.

Splits are:
2) so rare and so dramatic as to V/S that are so rare and so dramatic that V/S that are so rare and dramatic enough that/as to

Lets take split-3 first : here itself is used to put emphasis on the virtue of patience. the virtue of patience is singular thus itself is fine. Thus, we can eliminate C,D and E.

Between A and C: In C pronoun it is not appropriate as few acts of nature is a plural entity.

Takeaway :
Itself and themselves can be used as reflexive pronoun or as noun intensifier. For more details refer page 233-234, MGMAT SC.
Check whether itself or themselves is following a verb or a noun, if it is following a verb then there are high chances that it is working as reflexive pronoun, or if it is following a noun then definitely it is used to put emphasis on the presence of that noun in the sentence and accordingly we will have to choose plural or singular form of reflexive pronoun.

Where we use reflexive pronoun : We use reflexive pronoun if action is done by subject on itself. e.g. He killed himself -- action done on self.

Incorrect usage: MR. XYZ will come for lunch with myself. << Incorrect. -- instead of myself use me.

Could you please explain the split a dormant volcano exploding V/S an explosion of a dormant volcano ?

Is not such as a total solar eclipse or an explosion of a dormant volcano better than such as a total solar eclipse or a dormant volcano exploding ?

The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday.

And I need your help in this journey of improvement. So if you find any grammatical mistake in my sentences, please ping me a correct version along with the reason.

Chat Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2015, 03:55
I thought the same, but it seems Veritas thinks differently for reasons obvious only for them.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2015, 18:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yes, your version is much better. Veritas little twisted the structure of the sentence.

dojha00 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

Splits are:

Lets take split-3 first : here itself is used to put emphasis on the virtue of patience. the virtue of patience is singular thus itself is fine. Thus, we can eliminate C,D and E.

Takeaway :

Could you please explain the split a dormant volcano exploding V/S an explosion of a dormant volcano ?

Is not such as a total solar eclipse or an explosion of a dormant volcano better than such as a total solar eclipse or a dormant volcano exploding ?

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 11:38
NeverSurrender wrote:

Can anyone explain spilt between
the explosion of a dormant volcano vs a dormant volcano exploding.

Please help!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
Ergenekon wrote:
I think 'a dormant volcano exploding' is terrible wording. How they included it in a correct answer?

Hi,

I think it can be correct only for one reason.. "such as... a total solar eclipse or a dormant volvcano exploding"

The "a" preceeding total solar eclipse steals the show.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V31
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
It's a terribly worded question.

"such as a total solar eclipse or a dormant volcano exploding"

Is "a dormant volcano exploding" a noun? :shock: Because I am pretty sure "total solar eclipse" is a noun.
How are these two parallel?

May be "explosion of dormant volcano" or " dormant volcano explosion" would have been a better fit !
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2015, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
"dormant volcano exploding" isn't that wrong in the answer ? Someone please explain how is "dormant volcano exploding" parallel to "total solar ecliplse".
Current Student
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 01:08
NeverSurrender wrote:

Wouldn't "or" act as a parallel marker in this question? If yes, then it would demand for what follows it to be a noun because " a total solar eclipse" is a noun. "Dormant volcano exploding" on the other hand seems to be a noun phrase.

Please correct. Clarity in this concept would go a long way in strengthening concepts.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
I came to find the confusion regarding "Dormant volcano exploding".
How can this be right ??

Glad to see I am not the only one. So many verbal gurus are also skeptical :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2016, 20:14
Same doubt. Was confused b/w A and C.

"dormant volcano exploding" doesn't seem parallel with a noun.
Can someone from veritas explain.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rukna wrote:

Noun+participle form such as this one may be right when the noun part is emphasized, but is wrong when the participle part is emphasized.

"dormant volcano exploding",noun = volcano and participle = exploding [ignore the adjective dormant for the time being.] Such construction is correct when the volcano part is required to be highlighted.

I saw the volcano exploding: there is no error in the sentence.
John's father was upset about John failing the exam. : the emphasis is on "failing" and therefore the sentence is wrong.

The reason is that the participle is just a modifier used to modify the preceding noun.

The conveyed sense in option A is that there are two examples of acts of nature: solar eclipse and dormant volcano. The present participle "exploding" is just a modifier for the noun "volcano" and not the second object in the list of 2 examples.

However the process of "explosion" is supposed to be the second object, not the volcano itself. Therefore although grammatically Option A is correct, it conveys the wrong meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 05:47
NeverSurrender wrote:

Option A , IMHO. My analysis of the question :

Meaning : The author says that there are a few acts of nature that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience. The acts of nature being total solar eclipse and dormant volcano exploding.

Error analysis :

S-V --> correct. are correctly used with acts of nature
Idiom --> So X as to ; correct
Parallelism --> so rare || so dramatic
Pronoun --> Itself correctly refers to virtue

POE :

Option A --> Correct
Option B --> themselves is wrong
Option C --> Idiom usage ? So x as to ought to be used (experts please verify my understanding)
Option D & E --> themselves is wrong.

Answer must be option A.

" The few , the fearless "

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
spetznaz wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:

Option A , IMHO. My analysis of the question :

Meaning : The author says that there are a few acts of nature that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience. The acts of nature being total solar eclipse and dormant volcano exploding.

Error analysis :

S-V --> correct. are correctly used with acts of nature
Idiom --> So X as to ; correct
Parallelism --> so rare || so dramatic
Pronoun --> Itself correctly refers to virtue

POE :

Option A --> Correct
Option B --> themselves is wrong
Option C --> Idiom usage ? So x as to ought to be used (experts please verify my understanding)
Option D & E --> themselves is wrong.

Answer must be option A.

As already explained above, "dormant volcano exploding" is not the ideal construction - it should have been "explosion of a dormant volcano". The acts of nature are "eclipse" and "explosion", not "eclipse" and "dormant volcano".
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 05:00
sayantanc2k wrote:
rukna wrote:

Noun+participle form such as this one may be right when the noun part is emphasized, but is wrong when the participle part is emphasized.

"dormant volcano exploding",noun = volcano and participle = exploding [ignore the adjective dormant for the time being.] Such construction is correct when the volcano part is required to be highlighted.

John's father was upset about John failing the exam. : the emphasis is on "failing" and therefore the sentence is wrong.

The reason is that the participle is just a modifier used to modify the preceding noun.

The conveyed sense in option A is that there are two examples of acts of nature: solar eclipse and dormant volcano. The present participle "exploding" is just a modifier for the noun "volcano" and not the second object in the list of 2 examples.

However the process of "explosion" is supposed to be the second object, not the volcano itself. Therefore although grammatically Option A is correct, it conveys the wrong meaning.

Hi Sayntan,

I have a doubt about option A.According to MGMAT SC guide a simple gerund can't go parallel with a noun.Only a complex gerund phrase can be parallel with a noun.
So , the exploding of volcano(though sounds terrible) could go parallel with total solar eclipse.

Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 04:10
techiesam wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
rukna wrote:

Hi Sayntan,

I have a doubt about option A.According to MGMAT SC guide a simple gerund can't go parallel with a noun.Only a complex gerund phrase can be parallel with a noun.
So , the exploding of volcano(though sounds terrible) could go parallel with total solar eclipse.

Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

When there is a noun available, do not use a gerund. When used in parallel with another noun, "explosion" is better than simple or complex gerund.
There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2017, 04:10

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap