Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [4]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Re: There are four areas of US federal law linked under the rubric of int [#permalink]
Kudos
NinetyFour wrote:

3) I got this wrong by choosing C, but I think B or C. In the last few sentences of the passage the author says ‘intellectual property’ the same kind of property as ‘tangible property’, and are legal protections for the latter appropriate for the former?" This could imply that C is an opinion of the ones calling for reform. The last sentence states "is ‘intellectual property’ an appropriate general term for the widely disparate areas of law it encompasses?". This implies that B could be an opinion.

If someone could shed light on 3 that would be amazing.

NinetyFour Changrayy you both have tried to justify (B) with the line "is ‘intellectual property’ an appropriate general term for the widely disparate areas of law it encompasses?"

1) The question "Which of the following represents the essence of the opinions of ‘those calling for reforms’ in intellectual property laws?" is concerned with the people "calling for reforms"

2) The line "And to that query, we can add: is ‘intellectual property’ an appropriate general term for the widely disparate areas of law it encompasses?" says "we can add", "we" is the author of the passage who is adding these lines and not the people calling for reforms mentioned in the question. Hence, from (1) and (2), you can't use this line to express the essence of "those calling for reforms." Since, these are two different people.

3) Even then, the line "And to that query, we can add: is ‘intellectual property’ an appropriate general term for the widely disparate areas of law it encompasses?" is only concerned with the TERM "Intellectual property" being used for disparate areas. It is not concerned with the legal protections that are applied to Intellectual Property and Tangible Property. The word "Disparate" is used in this sentence and answer option. But that can't be the reason to associate those two.

It's cause of these 3 reasons, I find that your explanation for (B) to be right is not plausible.

I'm still to be convinced as to why (B) is right and (C) is wrong.

I chose (C).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 570 Q48 V21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: There are four areas of US federal law linked under the rubric of int [#permalink]
Can anyone provide their map for this RC? I find it difficult when it comes to single or 2 big paragraph(s).

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
I got 3/3 All correct 5 min
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Phdstanford73
Can you please explain the solution of Q3, if possible? Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Apeksha55 I Think I can I had to read it again though
The Entire Passage talks about Patents,TRADEMARKS, PROTECTION from various fields

a) Should intellectual property be broken down to something easier to define? // NO MENTION OF PROTECTION , DIFFERENT CLASSIFCATION
b) Are the legal protections given to intellectual property widely disparate? // CORRECT MENTION TRADEMARK , PATENTS PROTECTION
c) Should intellectual property be given the same legal protections as tangible property is? // THIS IS NOT WHAT WE ARE DISSCUSING
d) Is intellectual property an appropriate term for the wide range of laws it engenders? // FULL SWING 180 OPTION CANCEL IT
e)Is intellectual property tangible enough to be brought under the purview of law? // AGAIN FULL SWING 180 OPTION CANCEL IT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 1013
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994,

Can you please post the OE for Q3?

GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32892 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
There are four areas of US federal law linked under the rubric of int [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ChandlerBong wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994,

Can you please post the OE for Q3?

This is not the official explanation I would go with C and also changed the answer to C. Don't know the source hence not a wise decision to practice such a question and wasting the time in deciding whether the answer is C or B. Just let it be, here is the reasoning. The essence of the opinions of 'those calling for reforms' in intellectual property laws is that "is 'intellectual property' the same kind of property as 'tangible property,' and are legal protections for the latter appropriate for the former?" In other words, they are questioning the appropriateness of applying the same legal protections to intellectual property as those applied to tangible property. They are concerned about whether intellectual property, which includes copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets, should be treated in the same way as physical, tangible assets and whether the term "intellectual property" is suitable for the diverse areas of law it encompasses.
GMAT Club Bot
There are four areas of US federal law linked under the rubric of int [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts