GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 14:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1285
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 22:38
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:18) correct 67% (02:03) wrong based on 96 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 years old. 10 percent of the total number of employees is at least 20 years old or older. Is the average age of the employees older than 30 years old?

1) 70 percent of the employees were more than 40 years old.

2) 25 percent of the employees were more than 60 years old.

_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jan 2017
Posts: 427
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 02:13
1
let the total employees be 100
St 1: let 10% or 10 be of the age of 20 and let 70 be the age of 40 and 20 be the age of x. Average = (200+2800+ 20x)/100 = 30 +x/5. x can minimum be 20. hence the minimum average age will be 34. ANSWER

St 2: let 10% or 10 be of the age of 20 and let 25 be the age of 60 and 65 be the age of x. average = (200+1500+ 65x)/100 = 17 +13x/20. x can minimum be 20. hence the minimum average age will be 30.ANSWER

Option D
SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1686
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 03:01
ByjusGMATapp wrote:
let the total employees be 100
St 1: let 10% or 10 be of the age of 20 and let 70 be the age of 40 and 20 be the age of x. Average = (200+2800+ 20x)/100 = 30 +x/5. x can minimum be 20. hence the minimum average age will be 34. ANSWER

St 2: let 10% or 10 be of the age of 20 and let 25 be the age of 60 and 65 be the age of x. average = (200+1500+ 65x)/100 = 17 +13x/20. x can minimum be 20. hence the minimum average age will be 30.ANSWER

Option D


Isn't the question incorrectly worded?

If 10% of the total number of employees are greater than or equal to 20 years of age, how can 70% of the employees be over 40 years old or 25% of the employees be over 60 years old? Am i missing anything?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jan 2017
Posts: 427
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 03:07
1
Vyshak wrote:
ByjusGMATapp wrote:
let the total employees be 100
St 1: let 10% or 10 be of the age of 20 and let 70 be the age of 40 and 20 be the age of x. Average = (200+2800+ 20x)/100 = 30 +x/5. x can minimum be 20. hence the minimum average age will be 34. ANSWER

St 2: let 10% or 10 be of the age of 20 and let 25 be the age of 60 and 65 be the age of x. average = (200+1500+ 65x)/100 = 17 +13x/20. x can minimum be 20. hence the minimum average age will be 30.ANSWER

Option D


Isn't the question incorrectly worded?

If 10% of the total number of employees are greater than or equal to 20 years of age, how can 70% of the employees be over 40 years old or 25% of the employees be over 60 years old? Am i missing anything?


Yes it is. In fact if you look at the statement "There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 years old". that means 100% of the employee are of age 20 years or older, not just 10%. I have solved the question based on certain assumptions
Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1285
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 16:49
ziyuen wrote:
There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 years old. 10 percent of the total number of employees is at least 20 years old or older. Is the average age of the employees older than 30 years old?

1) 70 percent of the employees were more than 40 years old.

2) 25 percent of the employees were more than 60 years old.


OFFICIAL EXPLANATION


If you modify the original condition and the question, and assume that the total number of employees is 100, the question becomes “is the average age of the employees older than 30 years old?” This becomes the sum of the 100 employees’ ages > (30 years old)(100 employees) = 3,000 years old? And if you assume the minimum 10% as 20 years old, you get 10 employees * 20 years old = 200, which becomes the sum of the rest 90 employees’ ages > 3,000 years old – 2,00 years old = 2,800 years old? Then, 

for con 1), if it is 70% of the employees, it is 70, and (70)(40 years old) = 2,800 years old, so it is greater than 40 years old, hence yes, it is sufficient. 

For con 2), you should apply CMT 4 (B: if you get A or B too easily, consider D). If you assume that 75% of the total employees are all 20 years old and the rest 25% are 60 years old, the sum of total 100 employees’ ages = (75 employees)(20 years old) + (25 employees)(60 years old) = 3,000 years old, and since 75% is older than 60 years old, it is always yes and sufficient. Therefore, the answer is D.
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Posts: 17
Re: There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 19:49
ziyuen wrote:
ziyuen wrote:
There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 years old. 10 percent of the total number of employees is at least 20 years old or older. Is the average age of the employees older than 30 years old?

1) 70 percent of the employees were more than 40 years old.

2) 25 percent of the employees were more than 60 years old.


OFFICIAL EXPLANATION


If you modify the original condition and the question, and assume that the total number of employees is 100, the question becomes “is the average age of the employees older than 30 years old?” This becomes the sum of the 100 employees’ ages > (30 years old)(100 employees) = 3,000 years old? And if you assume the minimum 10% as 20 years old, you get 10 employees * 20 years old = 200, which becomes the sum of the rest 90 employees’ ages > 3,000 years old – 2,00 years old = 2,800 years old? Then, 

for con 1), if it is 70% of the employees, it is 70, and (70)(40 years old) = 2,800 years old, so it is greater than 40 years old, hence yes, it is sufficient. 

For con 2), you should apply CMT 4 (B: if you get A or B too easily, consider D). If you assume that 75% of the total employees are all 20 years old and the rest 25% are 60 years old, the sum of total 100 employees’ ages = (75 employees)(20 years old) + (25 employees)(60 years old) = 3,000 years old, and since 75% is older than 60 years old, it is always yes and sufficient. Therefore, the answer is D.



Hi, I'm relatively new to GMAT, and everybody seems to be using this "CMT" strategy, could you please send me a link where I can read more about this.
Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1285
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 21:28
avinsethi wrote:
ziyuen wrote:
ziyuen wrote:
There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 years old. 10 percent of the total number of employees is at least 20 years old or older. Is the average age of the employees older than 30 years old?

1) 70 percent of the employees were more than 40 years old.

2) 25 percent of the employees were more than 60 years old.


OFFICIAL EXPLANATION


If you modify the original condition and the question, and assume that the total number of employees is 100, the question becomes “is the average age of the employees older than 30 years old?” This becomes the sum of the 100 employees’ ages > (30 years old)(100 employees) = 3,000 years old? And if you assume the minimum 10% as 20 years old, you get 10 employees * 20 years old = 200, which becomes the sum of the rest 90 employees’ ages > 3,000 years old – 2,00 years old = 2,800 years old? Then, 

for con 1), if it is 70% of the employees, it is 70, and (70)(40 years old) = 2,800 years old, so it is greater than 40 years old, hence yes, it is sufficient. 

For con 2), you should apply CMT 4 (B: if you get A or B too easily, consider D). If you assume that 75% of the total employees are all 20 years old and the rest 25% are 60 years old, the sum of total 100 employees’ ages = (75 employees)(20 years old) + (25 employees)(60 years old) = 3,000 years old, and since 75% is older than 60 years old, it is always yes and sufficient. Therefore, the answer is D.



Hi, I'm relatively new to GMAT, and everybody seems to be using this "CMT" strategy, could you please send me a link where I can read more about this.


MathRevolution, Could you help to explain?

avinsethi, only mathrevolution official explanation using that strategy. I am not familiar with that as well.
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Re: There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 07:26
This question needs rewriting!!
The logic of the question doesn't even stand!
Re: There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2017, 07:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There is a company X that does not elect employees who are under 20 ye

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.