It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"this" in this sentence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
"this" in this sentence [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 08:54
In the below sentence, is "this" a demonstrative pronoun? If not what is it?

I know that this is a banausic concern, but six is my lucky number, so I am disap­pointed that I was only able to purchase five tickets for the raffle.

If you like it, give kudos. Thanks :)

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
~Vince Lombardi

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: "this" in this sentence [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
My two cents -

A demonstrative pronoun is used to point to something specific within a sentence. These pronouns can indicate items in space or time, and they can be either singular or plural.

For example
this belongs to me/ Those are not mine.

Note that demonstrative pronouns are not acceptable in formal writing. So, the above two examples would be considered incorrect.

We use demonstrative adjectives instead. Demonstrative adjectives are adjectives that are used to modify a noun so that we know which specific person, place, or thing is mentioned.

For example
this watch belongs to me/ those clothes are not mine.

When used to represent a thing or things, demonstrative pronouns/adjectives can be either near or far in distance or time:

Near in time or distance: this, these
Far in time or distance: that, those

Teerex wrote:
In the below sentence, is "this" a demonstrative pronoun? If not what is it?

I know that this is a banausic concern, but six is my lucky number, so I am disap­pointed that I was only able to purchase five tickets for the raffle.

Yes it is. But this usage is incorrect because words like "this/these/that/those" always function as adjectives.

i.e. the correct usage is - "this car/these laptops/that bike/those people". In all of these cases, they act as adjectives to car/laptops/bike/people.

Join Free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series here -
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-through-gmat-video-2018

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: "this" in this sentence [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 02:35
Thanks CrackVerbalGmat! Kudos +1

If you like it, give kudos. Thanks :)

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
~Vince Lombardi

Re: "this" in this sentence   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2017, 02:35

"this" in this sentence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap