Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [35]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI
 Q44  V27 GMAT 2: 610  Q44  V30 GMAT 3: 550  Q45  V22
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [18]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [12]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: While larger banks can afford to maintain their own data-processing op [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
At the end of the sentence you can see the verb "are" - it means that plural noun "costs" should be used.

Right answer is (B), because of parallelism

the costs associated with ...... and with ......... are prohibitive.
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [4]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: While larger banks can afford to maintain their own data-processing op [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
TomB wrote:
While larger banks can afford to maintain their own data-processing operations, many smaller regional and community banks are finding that the cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff are prohibitive.

A. cost associated with

B. costs associated with

C. costs arising from

D. cost of

E. costs of

Idiom : associate with. Between A and B ,why A is wrong? "cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment ",with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff " are plural. It agrees with verb "are"

While larger banks can afford to maintain their own data-processing operations, many smaller regional and communitybanks are finding that the cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staffare prohibitive.

Thus from the reduced stem you can easily pair up the Subject & verb :

Verb ( ARE = Plural ) --------------- Subject should be COSTS (Plural)

Leading to B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
While larger banks can afford to maintain their own data-processing operations, many smaller regional and community banks are finding that the cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff are prohibitive.

A. cost associated with
B. costs associated with
C. costs arising from
D. cost of
E. costs of

I know that the OA is correct because of parallelism. But my doubt is this:
If we choose C or E, we would be changing the intended meaning of the original sentence, right? Even the meaning in C and E could be ilogical.
Please confirm.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
@danzig
Please elaborate. Pl explain how the meaning gets changed. The single most factor is that the some costs are too prohibitive for the small banks, while those costs are bearable for large banks. How this theme gets distorted from what you perceive as the intended meaning of the original by using a different preposition such as 'from' or 'of'?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,
Why costs - plural subject ?

associated is the verb right ? So why not cost ?

Thanks in advance.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vigneshceg wrote:
Hi,
Why costs - plural subject ?

associated is the verb right ? So why not cost ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi vigneshceg, the word "costs" is plural because it goes with the verb "are" at the end. The costs associated with (being the greatest student in the world and a gentleman and scholar and bla bla bla) are very high. Everything within the parentheses is irrelevant and can be ignored. Your goal in this type of question is to find the verb outside the underlined portion and get the subject within the underlined portion to agree with it (singular/singular or plural/plural)

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
MarkSullivan wrote:
TomB wrote:

A. cost associated with

B. costs associated with

C. costs arising from

D. cost of

E. costs of

Idiom : associate with. Between A and B ,why A is wrong? "cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment ",with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff " are plural. It agrees with verb "are"

Piyatiwari alluded to this in his post, but just to clarify we choose "associated with" not because of any idiom issues. "Costs arising from" and "Costs of" are both idiomatically correct, and in fact "costs of" is even more concise than "costs associated with"!

What makes the difference here is parallelism. We're discussing the costs in two categories: "data-processing equipment" and "development and maintenance of ..." Since the sentence has "and with the development and maintenance ..." we should choose (B) because it is most parallel.

My take? Idioms are difficult (and rare), so think first about other issues.

Cheers,
Mark

sir, i have a doubt regarding subject verb agreement if we took the costs associated then associated will be its verb and then are in this sentence make it incorrect please clearify
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
rishabhmishra wrote:
MarkSullivan wrote:
TomB wrote:

A. cost associated with

B. costs associated with

C. costs arising from

D. cost of

E. costs of

Piyatiwari alluded to this in his post, but just to clarify we choose "associated with" not because of any idiom issues. "Costs arising from" and "Costs of" are both idiomatically correct, and in fact "costs of" is even more concise than "costs associated with"!

What makes the difference here is parallelism. We're discussing the costs in two categories: "data-processing equipment" and "development and maintenance of ..." Since the sentence has "and with the development and maintenance ..." we should choose (B) because it is most parallel.

Cheers,
Mark

sir, i have a doubt regarding subject verb agreement if we took the costs associated then associated will be its verb and then are in this sentence make it incorrect please clearify

associated is a past-participle verb and it modifies the noun The costs. It isn't the main verb in that sentence.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rishabhmishra wrote:
MarkSullivan wrote:
TomB wrote:

A. cost associated with

B. costs associated with

C. costs arising from

D. cost of

E. costs of

Cheers,
Mark

thanks but if that is the case then the whole clause become subject i think and then only it will make sense because costs are prohibitive doesn't make sense for me and if whole clause is subject then it must be singular as clause or phrase act as a subject then it must be singular. please explain
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
rishabhmishra wrote:

Hi Rishabh, as nguyendinhtuong mentioned, "associated" is used as a "past participle" and not a "verb".

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses a very simple framework to distinguish between Verbs and Past Participle. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rishabhmishra wrote:
thanks but if that is the case then the whole clause become subject i think and then only it will make sense because costs are prohibitive doesn't make sense for me and if whole clause is subject then it must be singular as clause or phrase act as a subject then it must be singular. please explain

Hi Rishabh, your question is not very clear. Do you mean that the entire Noun phrase (and not "clause") becomes the subject? Indeed that's the case.

Also, why do you say: costs are prohibitive doesn't make sense for me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
rishabhmishra wrote:

Hi Rishabh, your question is not very clear. Do you mean that the entire Noun phrase (and not "clause") becomes the subject? Indeed that's the case.

Also, why do you say: costs are prohibitive doesn't make sense for me.

sir somebody above said the costs is subject here and associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff is modifier here and are prohibitive are is verb here. I want to know that if this is the case then the cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff act as a subject of the clause the cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff are prohibitive and i have learned that if a clause or phrase act as a subject then it must be singular. hope now you understand what i really want to convey. :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
sir somebody above said the costs is subject here and associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff is modifier here and are prohibitive are is verb here. I want to know that if this is the case then the cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff act as a subject of the clause the cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff are prohibitive and i have learned that if a clause or phrase act as a subject then it must be singular. hope now you understand what i really want to convey. :(

Hi bud, let me try to explain this.

While larger banks can afford to maintain their own data-processing operations, many smaller regional and community banks are finding that the costs associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff are prohibitive.

In the above CORRECT sentence, what is the subject costs doing?
Here we have two ways to answer my above question.
  • association?
  • prohibition?

Clearly, they are involving in the task 'prohibition' and not 'association.' Here "associated" plays the role of verb-ed modifier.
To simplify further, see the below.

• the costs are prohibitive.
  • the costs associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff

The first sentence is showing a purpose for costs, but what are costs doing in the second sentence? Nothing!

See this article by eGmat: ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Hope this helps :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM

(A) cost associated with
(B) costs associated with
(C) costs arising from
(D) cost of
(E) costs of

Clearly B - Parallelism

We need - Associated with

Costs ===> which matches to plural are prohibitive.

Hence, Answer is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
What are prohibitive? For the sake of subject-verb agreement, the plural noun costs must be used rather than the singular cost: the costs… are prohibitive. The phrase associated with is required to complete the parallel construction costs associated with upgrading… and with the development of… .

A Singular cost does not agree with the plural verb are

B Correct. The plural noun costs agrees with the plural verb are; using costs associated with means that with upgrading is parallel to with the development.

C From upgrading is not parallel to with the development of

D Singular cost does not agree with the plural verb are; of upgrading is not parallel to with the development of

E Of upgrading is not parallel to with the development of

The correct answer is B.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
mrturbo311 wrote:

(A) cost associated with
(B) costs associated with
(C) costs arising from
(D) cost of
(E) costs of

Main Issues:

1) SV: "Costs .... are"
2) Parallelism: "Costs associated with ... and with ..."

(A) cost associated with - Wrong: 1) SV
(B) costs associated with - Correct
(C) costs arising from - Wrong: 1) Parallelism
(D) cost of - Wrong: 1) SV 2) Parallelism
(E) costs of - Wrong: 1) Parallelism
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
The "are" at the end of the sentence implies that the "cost" should be plural. A, D, and E wrong/

parallelism: "and with the development..." is parallel to "with upgrading data-processing...". Therefore B correct.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts