It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3649 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:15) correct 25% (01:12) wrong based on 770 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish lessens their vulnerability with thickened bones and armor plates on their sides.

A. Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish lessens their vulnerability with thickened bones and armor plates on their sides.
B. Though tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.
C. A recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen their vulnerability, though tiny, blind, and translucent.
D. Thickened bones and armor plates on their sides lessen the vulnerability of a recently discovered species of catfish that is tiny, blind, and translucent.
E. Tiny, blind, and translucent, thickened bones and armor plates on its sides lessen the vulnerability of a recently discovered species of catfish.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 3649 [1], given: 22

2 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 100 [2], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
I feel the answer is b?

A. Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish lessens their vulnerability with thickened bones and armor plates on their sides.
B. Though tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.
C. A recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen their vulnerability, though tiny, blind, and translucent.
D. Thickened bones and armor plates on their sides lessen the vulnerability of a recently discovered species of catfish that is tiny, blind, and translucent.
E. Tiny, blind, and translucent, thickened bones and armor plates on its sides lessen the vulnerability of a recently discovered species of catfish.

OE please?

Kudos [?]: 100 [2], given: 140

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 09:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sayantanc2k wrote:
Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish lessens their vulnerability with thickened bones and armor plates on their sides.

Though tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.

Correct answer must be (B)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 12:08
A,C,D S-V agreement issue. E has meaning issue.
B is the correct answer

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 68

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 20:38
hi,

is conjunction 'though' before adjectives which modify recently discovered species right?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 68

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 44

Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q51 V24
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 01:58
This post received
KUDOS
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hello Sayantanc2k,
Both thickened bones and armor plates lessen the vulnerability of catfish. Is it ok to use that to refer both of them (thick bones and armor plates) as it is used in Option C?

Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 44

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3649 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 05:56
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sachin0890 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hello Sayantanc2k,
Both thickened bones and armor plates lessen the vulnerability of catfish. Is it ok to use that to refer both of them (thick bones and armor plates) as it is used in Option C?

Thank you.

The relative pronoun "that" can refer to plural antecedents. Run a search "that" in OG, and you will find plenty of such usages.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 06:23
sayantanc2k wrote:
sachin0890 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hello Sayantanc2k,

Thank you.

The relative pronoun "that" can refer to plural antecedents. Run a search "that" in OG, and you will find plenty of such usages.

Thank You for the reply.

Please have a look at the following post,
created-in-1945-to-reduce-poverty-210087.html

Some of the respondents such as Economist GMAT tutor say that that cannot be used to refer plural.
I am totally confused regarding usage of that. Please explain when we can use that to refer plural and to refer singular.

Thank you,
Sachin

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3649 [3], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sachin0890 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
sachin0890 wrote:

Hello Sayantanc2k,

Thank you.

Thank You for the reply.

Please have a look at the following post,
created-in-1945-to-reduce-poverty-210087.html

Some of the respondents such as Economist GMAT tutor say that that cannot be used to refer plural.
I am totally confused regarding usage of that. Please explain when we can use that to refer plural and to refer singular.

Thank you,
Sachin

Uses of pronoun "that":

1. as a demonstrative pronoun:
1a. as adjectives: That pen is mine.
1b. as copy: The car you gifted me is older than that standing outside (creates a copy of car).

2. as a relative pronoun:
I wanted to buy the house that was destroyed by earthquake yesterday.
I do not like dogs that bark.

The usage 1a and 1b can only be singular - for plural "those" is required:
That pens are mine... wrong
The cars you gifted me is older than that standing outside ...wrong

The usage 2 is applicable for both singular and plural. (the second example above is plural).

The question in this thread uses "that" as a relative pronoun (type 2) - hence plural usage is alright.
The question in your link uses "that" as a demonstrative pronoun (type 1b) - hence plural usage is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3649 [3], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 10:16
Uses of pronoun "that":

1b. as copy: The car you gifted me is older than that standing outside (creates a copy of car).

The usage 2 is applicable for both singular and plural. (the second example above is plural).

The question in this thread uses "that" as a relative pronoun (type 2) - hence plural usage is alright.
The question in your link uses "that" as a demonstrative pronoun (type 1b) - hence plural usage is wrong.[/quote]

Thank you very much for the help.
I will try some more questions based on usage of that.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 10:34
Turkish wrote:
Hello Sayantan,

Can you help me understand this " Though tiny, blind, and translucent" is this not modifying a recently" and not the new species that was found.

Thanks a lot

Turkish.

No, the modifier modifies the entire noun phrase " a recently discovered species of catfish". "Species" is the main noun in this phrase; hence the modifier refers to "species". "Recently" is not a noun.

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 966

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2016, 18:20
Uses of pronoun "that":

The question in your link uses "that" as a demonstrative pronoun (type 1b) - hence plural usage is wrong.[/quote]

Hello sayantanc2k
Thanks alot for this clear and crisp explanation on usage of "that"

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 966

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 14:06
species are either singular or plural, so B is the only correct answer

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 24

Annie: Nguyen
Concentration: International Business, Other
GPA: 3.33
WE: Supply Chain Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 22:57
My answer is B. Following though is a noun modifier: “tiny, blind and translucent” (remember that adj is considered noun modifier).

Full sentence: Though it is tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.

Kindly hit kudos if my post help.
Thanks a lot!

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 04:10
hi all, is "a species of xxx" always singular? thanks for anyone's help

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 04:10

Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap