GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 02:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Top House Democrats, anxiously awaiting the findings of the special co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User
Top House Democrats, anxiously awaiting the findings of the special co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 09:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:18) correct 34% (01:28) wrong based on 292 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Top House Democrats, anxiously awaiting the findings of the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, insists on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of if the Justice Department accuses President in wrongdoing.

a) insists on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of if the Justice Department accuses President in wrongdoing
b) insisted on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of whether the Justice Department accuses President of wrongdoing.
c) insists on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of if the Justice Department accused President in wrongdoing
d) insisted on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of whether the Justice Department accused President in wrongdoing.
e) insists on Sunday which their own investigations must go on regardless of if the Justice Department accuses President in wrongdoing

Source: One of the GMAT Tutions from India

G
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Top House Democrats, anxiously awaiting the findings of the special co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 10:02
ArupRS wrote:
Straight B.

Hi Arup ,
What was the approach?
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Top House Democrats, anxiously awaiting the findings of the special co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 10:16
LMP wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
Straight B.

Hi Arup ,
What was the approach?

LMP

First, what is the subject? The subject is "Top House Democrats" - Plural subject. So, A.C and E are wrong.
Now we are left with B and D.
This is a tricky part. You can either use idiom or S-V agreement again. Accused of is idiomatic but nit accused in(Please verify this part).
Accuses is the correct choice. Accused is not correct.
So B is correct.

Regards,
Arup
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 10:40
ArupRS wrote:
LMP wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
Straight B.

Hi Arup ,
What was the approach?

LMP

First, what is the subject? The subject is "Top House Democrats" - Plural subject. So, A.C and E are wrong.
Now we are left with B and D.
This is a tricky part. You can either use idiom or S-V agreement again. Accused of is idiomatic but nit accused in(Please verify this part).
Accuses is the correct choice. Accused is not correct.
So B is correct.

Regards,
Arup

thank you Arup. Missed the Idiom part. Even Iw as confused between B and D.
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 10:48
LMP wrote:
Top House Democrats, anxiously awaiting the findings of the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, insists on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of if the Justice Department accuses President in wrongdoing.

a) insists on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of if the Justice Department accuses President in wrongdoing

Subject is Plural (THDs) , therefore verb "insists" is wrong. We need "insisted" from the given choices.

b) insisted on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of whether the Justice Department accuses President of wrongdoing.

c) insists on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of if the Justice Department accused President in wrongdoing

Subject is Plural (THDs) , therefore verb "insists" is wrong. We need "insisted" from the given choices.

We need "accuses" to make sense and not "accused"

d) insisted on Sunday that their own investigations must go on regardless of whether the Justice Department accused President in wrongdoing.

We need "accuses" to make sense and not "accused"

e) insists on Sunday which their own investigations must go on regardless of if the Justice Department accuses President in wrongdoing

Use of "which" is wrong here.

B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 01:51
Can anyone please let me know which one is correct ...." President of wrongdoing" or " president in wrongdoing"

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Top House Democrats, anxiously awaiting the findings of the special co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 01:58
rakeshtewatia0105 wrote:
Can anyone please let me know which one is correct ...." President of wrongdoing" or " president in wrongdoing"

Actual question should be accuses president of wrongdoing v/s accuses president in wrongdoing.
I think accuses of is the correct form.
Regards,
Arup
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 02:01
rakeshtewatia0105 wrote:

Correct idiom is Accuse X of Y.

You should not connect "President + of"

You should look for "Accuse + of"

In place of President, it can be anything else.

Accuse teacher of slapping

Accuse staff of misbehaving

Accuse John of robbing
P
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 02:22

Quote:

There are two actions here. 1) Robert insisted on Sunday that their own investigations must go on. 2) Whether justice accuses president in wrongdoing. Here action 1 is completed and action 2 is yet to happen. So action we have to use insisted rather than insists and for action 2 we have to use futuristic accuses rather than accused. So this choice can be ELIMINATED
Quote:

This is the only choice which conveys the intended meaning. So CORRECT
Quote:

Same error as in option A. So ELIMINATED
Quote:

Here accused is used instead if accuses. So ELIMINATED
Quote:

Same error as in option A. So ELIMINATED

OPTION: B

Chaitanya

+1 Kudos

if you like my explanation!!!
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 04:26
LMP wrote:
B is itself incorrect. We can't "accuse President". :)

You can fix B by:
1. Adding a name for the person (accuses President Trump of wrongdoing)
or
2. Adding a the before President (accuses the President of wrongdoing).
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 04:47
AjiteshArun wrote:
LMP wrote:

You can fix B by:
or

This difference is so subtle that it goes unnoticed every time. :)

Please clear my thought process ;

When we say only "President" , we are using a "noun" that has no real reference or has a general reference, and that is wrong.

When we say "President Trump" or " The President", we mean someone particular about whom we are talking.

I have two queries :

1. When we can remove the articles " A , An, and The" before the noun?

2. When this removal of article changes the meaning and how the meaning changes?
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 04:57
AjiteshArun wrote:
LMP wrote:

You can fix B by:
or

I agree with you Ajitesh. You are right. It should have been " President Trump" or " the President" .
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 05:20
AkshdeepS wrote:
This difference is so subtle that it goes unnoticed every time. :)

Please clear my thought process ;

When we say only "President" , we are using a "noun" that has no real reference or has a general reference, and that is wrong.

When we say "President Trump" or " The President", we mean someone particular about whom we are talking.

I have two queries :

1. When we can remove the articles " A , An, and The" before the noun?

2. When this removal of article changes the meaning and how the meaning changes?
Check whether the noun is plural or singular (if it is singular, check whether it is a countable noun). We don't always need an article before a plural noun unless we're trying to specify something (but we must have something before a singular noun, as long as it is not a name or a non-count noun). So we can say:
Movies are great.

but we can't say
Movie is great.

This doesn't apply to mass (non-count) nouns, however, so something like this is fine:
Water is essential for life.

Both this article and this article do a more complete job of explaining this.
S
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.27
WE: Web Design (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 12:45
rakeshtewatia0105 wrote:

President of wrongdoing goes better here.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Top House Democrats, anxiously awaiting the findings of the special co   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2019, 12:45

Top House Democrats, anxiously awaiting the findings of the special co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics