It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

#Top150 SC: There are a few acts of nature

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17665 [2], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 SC: There are a few acts of nature [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 22:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (01:24) correct 71% (01:15) wrong based on 447 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar eclipse or a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself.

A. a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself

B. an explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough that they seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience themselves

C. the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and so dramatic that it seems like a metaphor for the virtue of patience itself

D. the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough as to seem like a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves

E. a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic that they seem to be a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17665 [2], given: 1986

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8183 [4], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: #Top150 SC: There are a few acts of nature [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 01:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The reflexive pronoun at the end of the clause stands for 'the virtue' which is singular; therefore 'themselves' is out of the race and we have to take 'itself' . We can safely remove B, D, and E.
Between A and C, we can disregard C for using an unidiomatic expression ‘dramatic enough’ and also for calling the plural ‘acts’ as a singular ‘metaphor. However, the two versions of exploding, and explosion do not impact the outcome of the choice.
So A

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8183 [4], given: 364

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 07:28
My answer is B.

Reasoning:

There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar eclipse or a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself.

A. a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself

B. an explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough that they seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience themselves

C. the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and so dramatic that it seems like a metaphor for the virtue of patience itself

D. the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough as to seem like a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves

E. a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic that they seem to be a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves

Essentially what we need to say is: "There are acts, such as [a] and [b], that are [x] and [y] that they seem to be metaphors for patience themselves.

Now notice there are a few splits.

First, we have "a dormant volcano exploding" vs "an/the explosion of a dormant volcano". I could be wrong, but I believe "the explosion of" is more parallel to "a total solar eclipse" than "volcano exploding". While we cannot use this to rule out answers immediately, we should hold this thought.

Secondly, we have the split at the end between itself/themselves. This is where this question becomes hazy due to its quality, since it is not an official GMAC/OG question. Are we referring to "the few acts of nature" or "virtue of patience"?. I believe this is a crucial differentiation that must be used to split the answers. Logically, the referend must be "the few acts of nature" because if "virtue of patience" was intended, you can completely omit the last word - "... seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience" is 100% clear and adding "itself" to the end of that phrase changes nothing. Therefore, we must choose "themselves".

E expresses this clearly, but I do not think the singular tense of "a metaphor" is correct for "they". The only other answer that expresses this clearly is B, which correctly uses the plural "metaphors" and "themselves".

However, my answer changes to A if "itself" references, although redundant in my opinion, "the virtue of patience".

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 7

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 08:45

solar eclipse needs to be parallel to dormant volcano exploding.
since both are acts, both are compound nouns.
hence A and E can be ruled out.

Option C can be ruled out for below reasons
so is repeated before dramatic causing redundancy.
also singular noun it cannot refer to few acts(plural noun).

In Option D
as to seem gives a different meaning from that of intended one in the given sentence.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Last edited by Nevernevergiveup on 06 Oct 2015, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 09:21
Quote:

My decision points when I first saw this was: 1. Total solar eclipse vs. dormant volcano exploding and 2. Virtue of patience itself.

I feel that dormant volcano exploding should be replaced to either "An explosion or The explosion" therefore removing A and E from the answer choice.

Virtue of patience is singular I think so I chose itself instead of themselves.

My answer choice is C.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17665 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 23:16

Kudos [?]: 17665 [0], given: 1986

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 17

GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 07:34
Gonga wrote:
Quote:

My decision points when I first saw this was: 1. Total solar eclipse vs. dormant volcano exploding and 2. Virtue of patience itself.

I feel that dormant volcano exploding should be replaced to either "An explosion or The explosion" therefore removing A and E from the answer choice.

Virtue of patience is singular I think so I chose itself instead of themselves.

My answer choice is C.

I believe that the best choice would be:

an explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic that they seem to be metaphors for the virtue of patience itself

Because
an explosion of a dormant volcano” is parallel to "a total solar eclipse.”
The second so can be omitted in “so rare and so dramatic.”
A relative clause is clearer.
metaphors” must be plural as it refers to “acts.”
Itself” must be singular as it refers to “patience.”

We do not have this choice, so we eliminate the choices that are grammatically wrong.

B, C, and D can be eliminated because “Itself” must be singular as it refers to “patience
C, D, and E can be eliminated because “metaphors” must be plural as it refers to “acts.”
B nonsensically adds the word “enough.”

That leaves choice A. I do not like it, but it is grammatically correct.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 06:48
on the mgmat sc guide we read that only complex gerundive can be made parallel w/ action nouns but in this case an action noun is made parallel w/ a simple gerundive.... correct me if i am wrong

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

Re: #Top150 SC: There are a few acts of nature   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2017, 06:48

#Top150 SC: There are a few acts of nature

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap