Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Min/Max Problemsx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1218 [1213]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:cambridge, oxford
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [432]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 925 [298]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [168]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: List T consist of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO, the best solution is shown by M Dabral of GMAT Quantum in one of its video explanations.

Here is the link: https://www.gmatquantum.com/og13/218-pro ... ition.html

Although NOT most of GMAT Quantum's video explanations/solutions are up to the par, I found that this one along with some others (e.g., PS 178) is the best video explanation floating out there in the internet.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [150]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: List T consist of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Assume T = (1.a, 1.b,...etc) All units equal 1.xx.
E = 40 (due to rounding of ten even and 20 odd)
S max = 30 + 10(.8) + 20(.9) = 56
S min = 30 + 10(.2) + 20(.1) = 34

E-S min = 40 - 56 = -16
E-S max = 40 - 34 = 6
Thus, the min/max of E is -16 and 6, so I , II apply.

For (III. 10) to be true, S min/max in our equation above needs to equal 30. This is impossible since the question states T consists of 30 positive decimals. Therefore eliminate III.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [53]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shamanth25 wrote:
List T consist of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digits is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer. If 1/3 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E - S ?

I. -16
II. 6
III. 10

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

When reading through this question, notice that we are asked which of the following is a POSSIBLE value of E – S. This tells us that we will not be looking for a definite answer here.

We are given that list T has 30 decimals, and that the sum of this list is S.

Next we are given that each decimal whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer and each decimal whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer.

We are next given that E is the sum of these resulting integers.

Finally, we are given that 1/3 of the decimals in list T have a tenths digit that is even. This this means that 2/3 have a tenths digit that is odd. This means we have 10 decimals with an even tenths digit and 20 decimals with an odd tenths digit.

This is very helpful because we are going to use all this information to create a RANGE of values. We will calculate both the maximum value of E – S and the minimum value of E – S.

Another way to say this is that we want the maximum value of the sum of our estimated value in list T minus the sum of the actual values in list T and also the minimum value of the sum of the estimate values in list T minus the sum of the actual values in list T. Thus, we need to determine the largest estimated values and the smallest estimated values for the decimals in list T.

To do this, let’s go back to some given information:

Each decimal whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer.

Each decimal whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer.

Let’s first compute the maximum estimated values for the decimals in list T. To get this, we want our 10 decimals with an even tenths digit to be rounded UP as MUCH as possible and we want our 20 decimals with an odds tenths digit to be rounded DOWN as LITTLE as possible. Thus, we can use decimals of 1.2 (for the even tenths place) and 1.1 (for the odd tenths place). Let’s first calculate S, or the sum of the 30 decimals. We know we have 10 decimals of 1.2 and 20 decimals of 1.1, so we can say:

S = 10(1.2) + 20(1.1) = 12 + 22 = 34

Now we can round up 1.2 to the nearest integer and round down 1.1. We see that 1.2 rounded up to the nearest integer is 2, and 1.1 rounded down to the nearest integer is 1. So now we can calculate E, or the sum of the resulting integers. We can say:

E = 10(2) + 20(1) = 20 + 20 = 40

Thus, the maximum value of E – S, in this case, is 40 – 34 = 6.

Let’s next compute the minimum estimated values for the decimals in list T. To get this we want our 10 decimals with an even tenths digit to be rounded UP as LITTLE as possible and we want out 20 decimals with an odds tenths digit to be rounded DOWN as MUCH as possible. Thus, we can use decimals of 1.8 (for the even tenths place) and 1.9 (for the odd tenths place). Let’s first calculate S, or the sum of the 30 decimals. We know we have 10 decimals of 1.2 and 20 decimals of 1.1, so we can say:

S = 10(1.8) + 20(1.9) = 18 + 38 = 56

Now we can round up 1.8 to the nearest integer and round down 1.9 to the nearest integer. 1.8 rounded up to the nearest integer is 2, and 1.9 rounded down to the nearest integer is 1. So now we can calculate E, or the sum of the resulting integers, so we can say:

E = 10(2) + 20(1) = 20 + 20 = 40

Thus, the minimum value of E – S, in this case, is 40 – 56 = -16.

Thus, the possible range of E – S is between -16 and 6, inclusive. We see that I and II fall within this range.

The answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [42]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I found the responses in this question very helpful, but I think I found another way to explain it that I can understand better... hopefully someone finds this useful someday.

As the question ask for the difference between S and E, the actual "integer" portions are negligible as they will cancel each other out in the minus (-) operation (e.g. 15.9 - 15 = 0.9) . If it helps in understanding, we can also assume that all numbers in the list T are 0.xxxx (as the minus operation cancels the "integer" portion anyway).

Let's recap:
S = Real sum
E = Estimated sum, 10 are rounded up, 20 are rounded down

We can also first establish that there is only one value of E, as we are given in the question that 10 of them WILL be rounded up, and 20 WILL be rounded down. There is no Emax or Emin. To solve for E and assuming that numbers in list T are 0.xxx as per above point,
E = 10 x (T values rounded up) + 20 x (T values rounded down)
= 10 x (0.2) + 20 x (0.9) --> doesnt matter what the values are, they can be any even / odd combinations at the tenth
= 10 x (1) + 20 x (0), after performing round up/down operations
= 10

There are however Smax and Smin, as these are possible ranges prior to the round up/down operations.

Smax = 10 x (maximum even tenth) + 20 x (maximum odd tenth)
= 10 x (0.8) + 20 x (0.9)
= 8 + 18
= 26

Smin = 10 x (minimum even tenth) + 20 x (minimum odd tenth)
= 10 x (0.2) + 20 x (0.1)
= 2 + 2
= 4

The largest range of E - S is therefore
E - Smin = 10 - 4
= -6

The lowest range of E - S is therefore
E - Smax = 10 - 26
= -16

Unlike some contributions here, I found it absolutely necessary to solve for E and S. The previous solution by RonPurewal looks sound, but when you look closer, it assumes that E - S = (10 round up values - 20 round down values), which is not true, and therefore the answers are not exactly to the range given by the question. The full algebraic equation of his solution should have been:

- Largest range of E - S = (10x round up + 20x round down) - (10x Minimum round up + 20x minimum round down)
- Lowest range of E - S = (10x round up + 20x round down) - (10x Maximum round up + 20x maximum round down)

Essentially calling for the need to resolve for E and S individually, eventually.
I apolgise if I sound rude - its 130am in the morning and I had just spent an hour just analyzing just this question alone, and my heart hurts! Irregardless, I have learn plenty just by analyzing everyone's solution to help me arrive to this way of looking into this problem. Many thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29895 [28]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shamanth25 wrote:
List T consist of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digits is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer. If 1/3 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E - S ?

I. -16
II. 6
III. 10

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Given: 10 of the values must have an EVEN tenths digit, and the remaining 20 values must have an ODD tenths digit.

Let's try to determine the MAXIMUM value of E - S and the MINIMUM value of E - S
Once we do that, we'll know the range of possible values of E - S

IMPORTANT: To make things easier, let's consider decimals in the form 0.something

MAXIMUM value of E - S
In order to MAXIMIZE the value of E - S, we must MINIMIZE the value of S
We can do this by making the decimals with an ODD tenths digit 0.1, and by making the decimals with an EVEN tenths digit 0.01
So List T consists of twenty 0.1's and ten 0.01's
This means S = 20(0.1) + 10(0.01) = 2.1

When we complete our ROUNDING, we get: twenty 0's and ten 1's
So, E = 20(0) + 10(1) = 10

So, the MAXIMUM value of E - S = 10 - 2.1 = 7.9

MINIMUM value of E - S
In order to MINIMIZE the value of E - S, we must MAXIMIZE the value of S
We can do this by making the decimals with an ODD tenths digit 0.99999..., and by making the decimals with an EVEN tenths digit 0.89999...
So List T consists of twenty 0.9999....'s and ten 0.89999....'s
This means S ≈ 20(1) + 10(0.9) ≈ 29
ASIDE: We need not get super crazy about how many 9's we add to our decimals. Let's just look for an APPROXIMATE value.

When we complete our ROUNDING, we get: twenty 0's and ten 1's
So, E = 20(0) + 10(1) = 10

So, the MINIMUM value of E - S = 10 - 29 = -19

So, the value of E - S can range from (approximately) -19 to 7.9

Since -16 and 6 fall within this range, the correct answer is B

Cheers,
Brent
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31871 [24]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I have not gone through the entire thread and would explain you the best way I can...
Since I am not aware what has been explained earlier, the way and solution I am giving may be NEW or already discussed..

Lets first take the INFO from the Q--

1) there are 30 decimals, NONE of them is an INTEGER..

2) decimals with even TENTHS is moved to upper integer..
which means any decimal .2,.4,.6,.8 moves to 1..

3) decimals with odd TENTHS is moved to lower integer..
which means any decimal .1,.3,.5,.7,.9 moves down to 0..

4) We are NOT concerned with what is to LEFT of decimal as that will get cancelled out in E-S

5) 10 are moving up (1/3 rd even decimals), whereas the other 20 move down

SOLUTION-

In such Qs, the best way is to look at the least and max values..
so lets take the smallest and biggest even and odd decimals..

EVEN--
smallest-0.2
EFFECT= 10 is moving up But in actual .2*10=2 is already moved up in S..
so effect on E-S= 10-2= +8
Largest-0.8
EFFECT= 10 is moving up But in actual .8*10=8 is already moved up in S..
so effect on E-S= 10-8= +2

ODD--
smallest-0.1
EFFECT= .1*20= 2moved down= -2
Largest-0.9
EFFECT= 0.9*20= 18 moved down = -18..

so now we can take combinations of effect of even and effect of moving down..
even= +2 and +8
odd= -2 and -18..
least (opposite effect)= -18+2=-16
biggest effect= 8-2=6..

so E-S will lie between -16 and 6, both inclusive..
so 10 is not possible
ans B
Hope it helps
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [13]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Key point:

1/3 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even.

There are 30 decimals in T. So 10 have even tenths digits and ten have odd tenths digits.

Notice:

When you round down one of the decimals, you are reducing E. So you are reducing E - S.

When you round up one of the decimals, you are increasing E. So you are increasing E - S.

So according to the question we will be rounding up and increasing E ten times and rounding down and reducing E 20 times.

Possible even decimals are .2, .4, .6 and .8. So rounding up adds .8, .6, .4 or .2.

Possible odd decimals are .1, .3, .5, .7 and .9. So rounding down subtracts .1, .3, .5, .7 or .9.

So really the question is can (10 values from the adds list) - (20 values from the subtracts list) equal one of the given answers.

Check the values:

I. -16 is pretty low. So to get it we need to do some serious subtraction and not much addition.

Let's try minimizing E by minimizing the addition, by choosing the smallest number from the adds list, and maximizing the subtraction, by choosing the largest number from the subtracts list.

(10 x .2) - (20 x .9) = 2 - 18 = -16

Value I works.

II. 6 is between -16 and 10. So I am going to skip it for now. If 10 works, I think 6 is going to as well.

III. 10 is pretty high. So let's maximize the addition and minimize the subtraction.

(10 x .8) - (20 x .1) = 8 - 2 = 6.

So 10 does not work, but 6 does.

The correct answer is .
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [12]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos