Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 15:08 It is currently 05 May 2024, 15:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Modifiersx   Subject Verb Agreementx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38886 [266]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2419 [53]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14680 [34]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1394 [32]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

Meaning of the sentence:
Studies have supported an argument that emotions are a social phenomenon. The emotions include those deemed personal or private. These social phenomena are inseparable from Bodily Temperature

A) private is a social phenomenon,though one inseparable
1) Emotions -> are -> Subject Verb Agreement issue

B) private,are social phenomena that are inseparable -> Correctly conveyed

C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
1) There are two nots -> Changes the meaning of the sentence
2) comma is required to specify that the modifier has ended.

D) private –are social phenomena but are not separable
1) Social phenomena is not separable from Bodily Temperature. It sounds as if
Emotions
a) are social Phenomena
but
b) are not separable from bodily Temperature

2) Comma is required to specify where the modifier ends

E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable
1) Also as private emotions -> Removes the function of "or" and doesn't go well at all.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [8]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable

(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable

(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable

(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable

(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that emotions, including those deemed personal or private, are social phenomena and are inseparable from bodily response.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Pronouns + Meaning + Grammatical Construction + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• A phrase that conveys extra information must be offset by a pair of commas or a pair of dashes; if the phrase is at the beginning or end of the sentence, only one comma is needed.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "emotions" with the singular verb "is" and the singular pronoun "one". Further, Option A incorrectly uses a single comma to offset the phrase "including those deemed personal or private", which conveys extra information; please remember, a phrase that conveys extra information must be offset by a pair of commas or a pair of dashes.

B: Correct This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "emotions" with the plural verb "are". Moreover, Optin B avoids the pronoun error seen in Option A, as it uses no pronouns. Further, Option B the phrase "that are inseparable", conveying the intended meaning - that emotions, including those deemed personal or private, are social phenomena and are not separable from bodily response. Additionally, Option B correctly uses a pair of commas to offset a phrase that conveys extra information - "including those deemed personal or private". Besides, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "but are not those inseparable from bodily response"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that emotions, including those deemed personal or private, are social phenomena and are inseparable from bodily response. Further, Option C incorrectly uses a single comma to offset the phrase "including those deemed personal or private", which conveys extra information; please remember, a phrase that conveys extra information must be offset by a pair of commas or a pair of dashes.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses a single comma and single dash to offset the phrase "including those deemed personal or private", which conveys extra information; please remember, a phrase that conveys extra information must be offset by a pair of commas or a pair of dashes. Further, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase "not separable", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "not inseparable"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that emotions are separable from bodily response; the intended meaning is that emotions are not separable from bodily response. Further, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase "not separable", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 524 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

B) private,are social phenomena that are inseparable

OG 2017 New Question

d is wrong because there is no contrast between two parts before and after "but" . so there is no reason to use "but"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [10]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

'Emotions' needs plural 'are'. A is out

We do need contrast in the sentence; however, we need to mention that emotions are social phenomenon that are not separable from bodily temperature. C and D are out

'also' is redundant with 'or' in option E.

B is the right option.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4696 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private,are social phenomena that are inseparable from bodily temperature.

None but (B) maintains s-v structure and conveys the indended meaning...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 424
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
B.

The clause 'including those deemed personal or private' is an non essential one and needs to be separated off with a comma. This leaves only B and E.
E however doesn't fit the parallelism of deemed __ or ___

Hope we see this type of question on the real exam!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM

A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable
B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable
D) private – are social phenomena but are not separable

I am not able to parse this "one" in option A. Can you please share your view here mcelroytutoring?
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2419 [2]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:

D) private – are social phenomena but are not separable

I am not able to parse this "one" in option A. Can you please share your view here mcelroytutoring?

"One" is simply referring to "a social phenomenon" and is a simpler way of restating that phrase. That part is fine. For example: "I am looking for a skilled tutor, one who understands every in and out of the GMAT verbal section."

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 24 Jul 2016, 11:01.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 04 Nov 2016, 12:51, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos

Vertical Scan reveals a split of 'is/are'
The subject is 'emotions', so option A (is is single). Eliminate
Option B, C, D and E
In B, comma before 'are'
In C, no comma before 'are'
In D, dash(-) before 'are'
In E, a comma before 'are'

The sentence has a modifier(including.............private)
'including is preceded by a comma, therefore, private should be followed by comma
Option C and D are out

In B and E
"or" before the underlined part demands a parallel construction
'personal' or 'also as private' not parallel
Option E is out

Therefore option B is the correct answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

D) private –are social phenomena but not separable

OG 2017 New Question

I got to option B in 57 seconds but got one doubt that what is "That" referring to? I feel it is referring to Emotions then isn't it should be those because plural of That is Those or something which means plural?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat4varun wrote:
I got to option B in 57 seconds but got one doubt that what is "That" referring to? I feel it is referring to Emotions then isn't it should be those because plural of That is Those or something which means plural?

Hi gmat4varun, that is referring to social phenomena.

All relative pronouns (such as that in this case) can refer to both singular or plural nouns.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Relative pronouns, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
gmat4varun wrote:

Hi gmat4varun, that is referring to social phenomena.

All relative pronouns (such as that in this case) can refer to both singular or plural nouns.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Relative pronouns, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

If that is referring to social phenomena , then isn't it is wrong to use "THAT" instead of "WHICH" ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Why do you say so? Kindly explain.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Why do you say so? Kindly explain.

I believe between two sentences below , 2nd sentence is better than 1st .
1. I have a pen which writes very good .
2. I have a pen that writes very good .
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30855 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos