GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 16:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other.

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Posts: 78
Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2009, 14:26
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (03:11) correct 46% (02:29) wrong based on 39 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. The first ant covered 8% of the distance between the two ant holes in 3 hours, the second ant covered 7/120 of the distance in 2 hours 30 minutes. Find the speed (feet/h) of the second ant if the first ant traveled 800 feet to the meeting point.

(A) 15 feet/h
(B) 25 feet/h
(C) 45 feet/h
(D) 35 feet/h
(E) 40 feet/h
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 353
Location: Turkey
Schools: UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2009, 00:06
3
speed of ant1=(8/3)/100 of hole per hour
speed of ant2=(7/120)/2,5=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour
if ant1 goes 800 metres to meeting point then ant2 goes 700 metres.
Total distance makes 1500 metres.
speed of ant2=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour it makes (7/3)/100 * 1500= 35 metres per hour.

4)35
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 830
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2009, 01:49
maliyeci wrote:
speed of ant1=(8/3)/100 of hole per hour
speed of ant2=(7/120)/2,5=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour
if ant1 goes 800 metres to meeting point then ant2 goes 700 metres.
Total distance makes 1500 metres.
speed of ant2=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour it makes (7/3)/100 * 1500= 35 metres per hour.

4)35

How did you get the statement in Red?
s1=8d/300 and s2=7d/300

Now, how did you arrive at 800 and 700 as the distances?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 353
Location: Turkey
Schools: UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2009, 01:54
1
Economist wrote:
maliyeci wrote:
speed of ant1=(8/3)/100 of hole per hour
speed of ant2=(7/120)/2,5=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour
if ant1 goes 800 metres to meeting point then ant2 goes 700 metres.
Total distance makes 1500 metres.
speed of ant2=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour it makes (7/3)/100 * 1500= 35 metres per hour.

4)35

How did you get the statement in Red?
s1=8d/300 and s2=7d/300

Now, how did you arrive at 800 and 700 as the distances?

speed of ant1 = 8/300 of hole per hour
speed of ant2 = 7/300 of hour per hour
speed of ant1/speed of ant2=8/7
so in the time ant1 goes 800 metres, ant2 can go 700 metres ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 353
Location: Turkey
Schools: UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2009, 02:22
Speed of ant1=> ant1 covers 8% of hole in 3 hours = 8/100/3=8/300
speed of ant2=> ant2 covers 7/120 in 2,5 hours = 7/120/2,5=7/300 ;)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 830
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2009, 02:30
maliyeci wrote:
Economist wrote:
maliyeci wrote:
speed of ant1=(8/3)/100 of hole per hour
speed of ant2=(7/120)/2,5=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour
if ant1 goes 800 metres to meeting point then ant2 goes 700 metres.
Total distance makes 1500 metres.
speed of ant2=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour it makes (7/3)/100 * 1500= 35 metres per hour.

4)35

How did you get the statement in Red?
s1=8d/300 and s2=7d/300

Now, how did you arrive at 800 and 700 as the distances?

speed of ant1 = 8/300 of hole per hour
speed of ant2 = 7/300 of hour per hour
speed of ant1/speed of ant2=8/7
so in the time ant1 goes 800 metres, ant2 can go 700 metres ;)

ahh i got it...
so if we know speeds ( or ratio of speeds ) we can find ratio of distances keeping time as constant.
s1/s2 = d1/d2 ( where t1=t2), hence, d1/d2 = 8/7...now d1 = 800, so d2 = 800*7/8 = 700.
Nice concept!
teşekkür ederim :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 353
Location: Turkey
Schools: UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2009, 02:49
Economist wrote:
teşekkür ederim :)

Where did you learn our thanking words "Teşekkür ederim". I am very happy to see it. Have a nice day.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 116
Location: India
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2009, 03:10
maliyeci wrote:
speed of ant1=(8/3)/100 of hole per hour
speed of ant2=(7/120)/2,5=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour
if ant1 goes 800 metres to meeting point then ant2 goes 700 metres.
Total distance makes 1500 metres.
speed of ant2=(7/3)/100 of hole per hour it makes (7/3)/100 * 1500= 35 metres per hour.

4)35


You are too good at this. Great going.
_________________

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2008
Posts: 181
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2009, 07:01
speed of ant1 is 8/300
speed of ant2 is 7/300
so if ant1 covers 800 ant 2 will cover 700......speed of ant2 (7/3)/100 per hour
hence (7/3)/100 * 1500= 35 metres per hour
GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 28 May 2014
Posts: 528
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Mar 2017, 23:30
Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. The first ant covered 8% of the distance between the two ant holes in 3 hours, the second ant covered 7/120 of the distance in 2 hours 30 minutes. Find the speed (feet/h) of the second ant if the first ant traveled 800 feet to the meeting point.
(A) 15 feet/h
(B) 25 feet/h
(C) 45 feet/h
(D) 35 feet/h
(E) 40 feet/h
_________________

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too


Originally posted by saswata4s on 27 Feb 2017, 03:44.
Last edited by saswata4s on 01 Mar 2017, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4668
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 17:31
1
saswata4s wrote:
Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. The first ant covered 8% of the distance between the two ant holes in 3 hours, the second ant covered ____ of the distance in 2 hours 30 minutes. Find the speed (feet/h) of the second ant if the first ant traveled 800 feet to the meeting point.
(A) 15 feet/h
(B) 25 feet/h
(C) 45 feet/h
(D) 35 feet/h
(E) 40 feet/h

Dear saswata4s,

My friend, with all due respect, I believe something is missing from the test of the problems above. It's possible that if there were a math image, say, a fraction, and you copied and pasted, the math symbol did not paste into the plaintext of the GMAT Club problem box. You could retype what is missing in text, or use the math symbolism features.

Actually, I found this question already posted here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/time-speed-d ... 83745.html
Always search before you start a new thread for a question. Bunuel will have to merge the topics.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 28 May 2014
Posts: 528
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 23:32
Thanks mikemcgarry for pointing out. sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Cheers.
_________________

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 46035
Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 23:41
mikemcgarry wrote:
saswata4s wrote:
Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other. The first ant covered 8% of the distance between the two ant holes in 3 hours, the second ant covered ____ of the distance in 2 hours 30 minutes. Find the speed (feet/h) of the second ant if the first ant traveled 800 feet to the meeting point.
(A) 15 feet/h
(B) 25 feet/h
(C) 45 feet/h
(D) 35 feet/h
(E) 40 feet/h

Dear saswata4s,

My friend, with all due respect, I believe something is missing from the test of the problems above. It's possible that if there were a math image, say, a fraction, and you copied and pasted, the math symbol did not paste into the plaintext of the GMAT Club problem box. You could retype what is missing in text, or use the math symbolism features.

Actually, I found this question already posted here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/time-speed-d ... 83745.html
Always search before you start a new thread for a question. Bunuel will have to merge the topics.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Topics merged. Thank you Mike.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other.   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2017, 23:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Two ants start simultaneously from two ant holes towards each other.

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.