It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 207 [2], given: 31

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 05:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (01:16) correct 73% (01:30) wrong based on 303 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from point A at constant respective uniform speeds . What is the difference between their speeds (faster minus slower)?

(1) After 2 hours, the two cars are 140 miles apart

(2) When the faster car has covered a distance of 200 miles, the slower car has covered 150 miles
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 207 [2], given: 31

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 25

Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 07:53
statement 1: insufficient

Car 1 could be traveling at 70mph and car 2 could be traveling at 70 mph, giving us a difference of 0mph.
Car 1 could be traveling at 80mph and car 2 could be traveling at 60mph, giving us a difference of 20mph.

statement 2: insufficient

Car 1 could be traveling at 40mph and car 2 could be traveling at 30mph, giving us a difference of 10mph.
Car 1 could be traveling at 200mph and car 2 could be traveling at 150mph, giving us a difference of 50mph.

Down to answers C and E.

The statements together are sufficient. Statement (2) gives us a ratio to work with and statement (1) gives us a value to work with. I could take a couple minutes to try and figure out the answer but I love that date sufficiency doesn't require that :)

Answer C!

edit: oops! Forgot to check answer above, looks like E is OA

Last edited by DangerPenguin on 08 Dec 2014, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 25

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 21

Re: Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 10:41
I'm getting C as well, are you sure the OA is E?

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 21

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 10:59
This is kind of a tricky one. Are you sure the OA is correct?

Situation (1):

You can set this up by saying distance = time * (V1+V2), where V1 is the speed of car 1 and V2 is the speed of car 2 (use + since they are moving in opp directions). Doesn't help you find V1-V2.

Situation (2):
Using same variables above, you can find distance of car 1 = V1(t), and distance of car 2 = V2(t) at some constant time t. You can take the ratio by saying d1/d2 = v1/v2, but that still doesn't give you enough to work with to find the difference.

Combined:
Seems like it should be sufficent, unless I'm missing something.

From (1), you can setup an equation such V2 = d/t - V1, and from (2) then (200/150) = V1/((140/2)-V1). Solve for V1, and then solve for V2.

Can one of the pros chime in? I admit DS is my worst topic on GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 31

Re: Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 20:42
I also marked C as the answer. But OA was given as E. OE was not provided.

Dear Bunuel :- Please confirm the OA.

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 31

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2014, 23:39
i think the catch in this question is that it says cars move in different directions that i think could be opposite direction or moving perpendicular... but i am not sure about this.

P.S--Bunnel please help.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18108 [7], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2014, 04:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
desaichinmay22 wrote:
Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from point A at constant respective uniform speeds . What is the difference between their speeds (faster minus slower)?

(2) When the faster car has covered a distance of 200 miles, the slower car has covered 150 miles

Yes, different directions doesn't necessarily imply opposite direction. They could move away from each other at any angle.

Statement 1 only tells you the distance between them. It doesn't tell us the distance covered by them together. If they moved in opposite directions, 140 would be the distance covered by them. If they moved perpendicular to each other, together they would have covered distance more than 140.

Statement 2 only tells us that the ratio of their speed is 200:150 = 4:3. We don't know what their actual speeds are.

Using both, we don't know the distance traveled by them together so we don't know their individual speeds. We cannot find the difference between their speeds. e.g.
Say they travel opposite to each other, their combined speed is 140/2 = 70 miles/hr. So their independent speeds are 40 miles/hr and 30 miles/hr. Difference in their speeds = 40 - 30 = 10 miles/hr
Say they travel perpendicular to each other, the distance between them is the hypotenuse of the right triangle and is 140. The distance traveled by them will be in the ratio 4:3 (legs of the triangle) so the 140 represents the side 5. Multiplier is 140/5 = 28. So the legs of the triangle are 4*28 and 3*28. Their speeds then are 4*28/2 = 56 miles/hr and 3*28/2 = 42 miles/hr. Difference between their speeds is 56 - 42 = 14 miles/hr

Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18108 [7], given: 236

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 207 [1], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2014, 05:31
This post received
KUDOS
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
desaichinmay22 wrote:

Yes, different directions doesn't necessarily imply opposite direction. They could move away from each other at any angle.

Statement 1 only tells you the distance between them. It doesn't tell us the distance covered by them together. If they moved in opposite directions, 140 would be the distance covered by them. If they moved perpendicular to each other, together they would have covered distance more than 140.

Statement 2 only tells us that the ratio of their speed is 200:150 = 4:3. We don't know what their actual speeds are.

Using both, we don't know the distance traveled by them together so we don't know their individual speeds. We cannot find the difference between their speeds. e.g.
Say they travel opposite to each other, their combined speed is 140/2 = 70 miles/hr. So their independent speeds are 40 miles/hr and 30 miles/hr. Difference in their speeds = 40 - 30 = 10 miles/hr
Say they travel perpendicular to each other, the distance between them is the hypotenuse of the right triangle and is 140. The distance traveled by them will be in the ratio 4:3 (legs of the triangle) so the 140 represents the side 5. Multiplier is 140/5 = 28. So the legs of the triangle are 4*28 and 3*28. Their speeds then are 4*28/2 = 56 miles/hr and 3*28/2 = 42 miles/hr. Difference between their speeds is 56 - 42 = 14 miles/hr

Answer (E)

+1. Thank you for the explanation.

Kudos [?]: 207 [1], given: 31

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
Unnecessarily tricky question. If the cars are travelling on road and we measure road distance between points, then 'C'.
If the cars are moving on a vacant plain and we measure 'crow flies' distance, then E.

This seems to be more of lateral thinking question to me.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 00:47
This question is tricky because it seems as though you have enough information to solve for CAR_A_SPEED and CAR_B_SPEED. However, you do not but you can solve for their speeds combined. Considering the question is against C and E I'll just go through these scenarios.

Quote:

1+2) We know that Va = Da/t and Vb = Db/t as such we can write two equations
1. Va(2)+Vb(2) = 140
2. 200/Va = 150/Vb

We can then solve Va and Vb which are 40 miles/hr and 30 miles/hr respectively. Now then this should be QED solved BUT if you reread the questions carefully it says two cars start moving in different directions simultaneously it doesn't say in opposite directions.

As such you could have assumed one car went north and the other went west or one of the cars was moving away from the other at a 2 degree inclination from the origin (A).

As such the equations become very different and more unknowns are thrown into the mix.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 29

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 10:36
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Re: Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2017, 10:36

Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap