GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Two courses from Tsinghua Global (Full-time) MBA that you should know

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Two courses from Tsinghua Global (Full-time) MBA that you should know  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 19:20
Hi, my name is Hugo Yan, an Australian student studying in the GMBA program at Tsinghua University. I have just finished my first year and is now on exchange in Boston. I have to say the experience I had was at a higher level and more international than I had anticipated. Many guest speakers come to Tsinghua. Lectures I have attended include Pony Ma, Ginni Rometty, Hank Paulson, Larry Summers, Howard Schultz, Tony Blair and many others. All the lectures in our program are taught in English, so it is fairly easy to adapt. There are many things to talk about the program, but today, I would like to just briefly share with you two amazing classes that I really liked from my first year in the Tsinghua Global MBA (2-year, full-time) program so it gives you some insight into the program and the school as a whole.

Semester 1: McKinsey & Company – Leadership in the New Era
Class introduction:
- 8 courses total, with 3 hours each lecture. McKinsey representative + businessperson speech 1.5 hours, and the remaining time for Q&A.
- Taught in English. Around 150 people with 50 from the MBA program and the others from undergraduate, graduate, Ph.D. programs or exchange students.

Guest List:
Class 1: Core Themes of Leadership
Taught by McKinsey CEO (Yes, I mean the CEO of McKinsey, Dominic Barton, in our classroom)

Class 2: Technological disruption
Taught by Managing Director of China Investment (Winston Ma) and McKinsey Senior Partner from the Hong Kong office, leader of McKinsey Asia Digital practice (Alan Lau)

Class 3: Investor’s Perspective
Taught by Senior Managing Director of BlackRock (Mark Wiseman) and
McKinsey Senior Advisor (Mei Ye)

Class 4: Operations
Taught by Chief Procurement Officer of Royal Philips (Frederick Spalcke) and McKinsey Senior Partner from the Shanghai office, leader of McKinsey Asia Operations practice (Karel Eloot)

Class 5: Organization
Taught by Chief Human Resources Officer of Novartis (Neil Anthony) and McKinsey Senior Partner from the Paris office, leader of Europe, Middle East, and Africa Organization practice (Mary Meaney)

Class 6: Corporate transformation/Restructuring( I loved this one)
Taught by President of Fonterra (this company contributes to 25% of all New Zealand exports); Greater China (Christina Zhu) and McKinsey Senior Partner from the Sydney office, leader of McKinsey Strategy and Corporate Finance practice

Class 7: Corporate Finance
Taught by CEO of Mass Transit Railway Corporation (also known as MTR, operates real estate railway system of Hong Kong and is one of the most profitable metro systems in the world with over five million trips on an average weekday) (Lincoln Leong Kwok-kuen) and McKinsey Senior Partner of the Beijing office, leader of McKinsey Greater China (Nicholas Leung)

Class 8: Leadership in the New Era
Taught by Former China Investment Corporation (a sovereign wealth fund responsible for managing part of China’s foreign exchange reserves, at the end of 2015, the CIC had over US$810 billion assets under management) President (Xiqing Gao) and CEO of McKinsey (Dominic Barton, for the second time)

My thoughts:
I have learned many lessons on the topic of leadership, but when I finished this course, I was like “Wow, this is really really good,” because I heard from top experts from McKinsey and also top executives from other businesses, from BlackRock, Phillips, Novartis, to CIC and Fonterra. The Q&A sessions were as good, if not better than, the lectures because students got a lot of time to ask questions; for example, the classic question, “Do you think leaders are born or raised?”(one I think is an unnecessary question); or questions about personal experiences and hobbies. My personal question to Dominic Barton was, “What habits did you adopt from an early age that you think got you to the CEO of McKinsey position at a relatively young age?” Mr. Barton actually had prepared a Powerpoint for this question beforehand and shared with us his thoughts one by one, such as his weekly “power think sessions,” his exercise management techniques, his emphasis on good writing and being an interesting person. Someone later also asked him how to balance between working for one goal and being an interesting person. This is a great course, and I truly learned a lot from it.

Semester 2: Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Insights from Silicon Valley.
Class introduction:
- Created by Facebook and Tsinghua x-lab (Tsinghua’s creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship platform).
- 200 people total. Around 50-60 from the MBA, 40 from the exchange program and others from undergraduate, graduate, part-time MBA, EMBA, Schwarzman scholars, and Ph.D candidates.
- 8 courses total with 3 hours each lecture. Facebook person + business- person speech for 1.5 hours, and the remaining for Q&A. Guest list below.
- Students form 40 teams of five members and build a business from 0 to 1 (forming team finding ideaconducting survey building business model pitch to VC). Winners get prize listed below.

Guest List:
Opening: VP of Facebook, Dr.Vaughan Smith (led M&A for WhatsApp and Oculus VR), welcome video from Mark Zuckerberg
Class 1: Head of HR at Facebook, Lori Goler
Class 2: VP, Partnerships at Facebook, Ime Archibong
Class 3: Director of Facebook AI Research, Yann LeCun
Class 4: VP, Engineering, in charge of Facebook user growth, Xiaoliang Wei
Class 5: Vice President of Asia Pacific at Facebook, Dan Neary
Class 6: Founder of Oculus VR and now Chief Software Architect at Oculus VR Facebook, Michael Antonov
Class 7: Vice President Corporate Development at Facebook, Amin Zoufonoun
Class 8: Video from Mark Zuckerberg (one day before he gave commencement speech at Harvard), VP of Facebook, Dr.Vaughan Smith, Director of North Asia at Facebook Jayne Leung, as well as four other top VCs from China.

Prize list:
First Prize (1 team)
- $USD 1500 in cash
- VIP tickets to Facebook’s annual F8 meeting at Silicon Valley in April to see Zuckerberg
- Breakfast with top executive of Facebook (very likely Sheryl Sandberg if she is free)
Second Prize (2 teams)
- $USD 900
Third Prize (3 teams)
- $USD 500
Outstanding teams (4 teams)
- Special prize

My thoughts:
The classes were really inspiring: learning AI from Yann LeCun (you should definitely google him if you don’t know him; he is one of the top 3 recognized people in AI), learning VR from the founder of Oculus, learning how to put together the right team from the Head of HR at Facebook, and learning M&A from the person who spearheaded the acquisition of WhatsApp and Oculus. As always, the Q&A and follow up questions are the best. There were many exciting projects in the final pitch. My team project, for example, was working with super-bright students developing an AI music composer. Our team was comprised of an exchange student from Washington University, a part-time MBA with 12 years of experience in IT, an undergraduate from Tsinghua University School of Electrical Engineering, and an undergraduate from the Tsinghua School of Architecture.

Others:
In general, the program is at a higher level and more internationally focused than I had expected. I especially enjoyed the two courses I listed above. I never thought I would have the opportunity to listen to so many executive-level people in a course. So I loved it.

If you want to know more about the program you can contact the school, or me, at yan.16@sem.tsinghua.edu.cn. Best of luck in your applications if you are applying. I will be in Boston this coming year. Feel free to come and find me if you are interested. Cheers.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Two courses from Tsinghua Global (Full-time) MBA that you should know  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:34
HugoYan wrote:
Hi, my name is Hugo Yan, an Australian student studying in the GMBA program at Tsinghua University. I have just finished my first year and is now on exchange in Boston. I have to say the experience I had was at a higher level and more international than I had anticipated. Many guest speakers come to Tsinghua. Lectures I have attended include Pony Ma, Ginni Rometty, Hank Paulson, Larry Summers, Howard Schultz, Tony Blair and many others. All the lectures in our program are taught in English, so it is fairly easy to adapt. There are many things to talk about the program, but today, I would like to just briefly share with you two amazing classes that I really liked from my first year in the Tsinghua Global MBA (2-year, full-time) program so it gives you some insight into the program and the school as a whole.

Semester 1: McKinsey & Company – Leadership in the New Era
Class introduction:
- 8 courses total, with 3 hours each lecture. McKinsey representative + businessperson speech 1.5 hours, and the remaining time for Q&A.
- Taught in English. Around 150 people with 50 from the MBA program and the others from undergraduate, graduate, Ph.D. programs or exchange students.

Guest List:
Class 1: Core Themes of Leadership
Taught by McKinsey CEO (Yes, I mean the CEO of McKinsey, Dominic Barton, in our classroom)

Class 2: Technological disruption
Taught by Managing Director of China Investment (Winston Ma) and McKinsey Senior Partner from the Hong Kong office, leader of McKinsey Asia Digital practice (Alan Lau)

Class 3: Investor’s Perspective
Taught by Senior Managing Director of BlackRock (Mark Wiseman) and
McKinsey Senior Advisor (Mei Ye)

Class 4: Operations
Taught by Chief Procurement Officer of Royal Philips (Frederick Spalcke) and McKinsey Senior Partner from the Shanghai office, leader of McKinsey Asia Operations practice (Karel Eloot)

Class 5: Organization
Taught by Chief Human Resources Officer of Novartis (Neil Anthony) and McKinsey Senior Partner from the Paris office, leader of Europe, Middle East, and Africa Organization practice (Mary Meaney)

Class 6: Corporate transformation/Restructuring( I loved this one)
Taught by President of Fonterra (this company contributes to 25% of all New Zealand exports); Greater China (Christina Zhu) and McKinsey Senior Partner from the Sydney office, leader of McKinsey Strategy and Corporate Finance practice

Class 7: Corporate Finance
Taught by CEO of Mass Transit Railway Corporation (also known as MTR, operates real estate railway system of Hong Kong and is one of the most profitable metro systems in the world with over five million trips on an average weekday) (Lincoln Leong Kwok-kuen) and McKinsey Senior Partner of the Beijing office, leader of McKinsey Greater China (Nicholas Leung)

Class 8: Leadership in the New Era
Taught by Former China Investment Corporation (a sovereign wealth fund responsible for managing part of China’s foreign exchange reserves, at the end of 2015, the CIC had over US$810 billion assets under management) President (Xiqing Gao) and CEO of McKinsey (Dominic Barton, for the second time)

My thoughts:
I have learned many lessons on the topic of leadership, but when I finished this course, I was like “Wow, this is really really good,” because I heard from top experts from McKinsey and also top executives from other businesses, from BlackRock, Phillips, Novartis, to CIC and Fonterra. The Q&A sessions were as good, if not better than, the lectures because students got a lot of time to ask questions; for example, the classic question, “Do you think leaders are born or raised?”(one I think is an unnecessary question); or questions about personal experiences and hobbies. My personal question to Dominic Barton was, “What habits did you adopt from an early age that you think got you to the CEO of McKinsey position at a relatively young age?” Mr. Barton actually had prepared a Powerpoint for this question beforehand and shared with us his thoughts one by one, such as his weekly “power think sessions,” his exercise management techniques, his emphasis on good writing and being an interesting person. Someone later also asked him how to balance between working for one goal and being an interesting person. This is a great course, and I truly learned a lot from it.

Semester 2: Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Insights from Silicon Valley.
Class introduction:
- Created by Facebook and Tsinghua x-lab (Tsinghua’s creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship platform).
- 200 people total. Around 50-60 from the MBA, 40 from the exchange program and others from undergraduate, graduate, part-time MBA, EMBA, Schwarzman scholars, and Ph.D candidates.
- 8 courses total with 3 hours each lecture. Facebook person + business- person speech for 1.5 hours, and the remaining for Q&A. Guest list below.
- Students form 40 teams of five members and build a business from 0 to 1 (forming team finding ideaconducting survey building business model pitch to VC). Winners get prize listed below.

Guest List:
Opening: VP of Facebook, Dr.Vaughan Smith (led M&A for WhatsApp and Oculus VR), welcome video from Mark Zuckerberg
Class 1: Head of HR at Facebook, Lori Goler
Class 2: VP, Partnerships at Facebook, Ime Archibong
Class 3: Director of Facebook AI Research, Yann LeCun
Class 4: VP, Engineering, in charge of Facebook user growth, Xiaoliang Wei
Class 5: Vice President of Asia Pacific at Facebook, Dan Neary
Class 6: Founder of Oculus VR and now Chief Software Architect at Oculus VR Facebook, Michael Antonov
Class 7: Vice President Corporate Development at Facebook, Amin Zoufonoun
Class 8: Video from Mark Zuckerberg (one day before he gave commencement speech at Harvard), VP of Facebook, Dr.Vaughan Smith, Director of North Asia at Facebook Jayne Leung, as well as four other top VCs from China.

Prize list:
First Prize (1 team)
- $USD 1500 in cash
- VIP tickets to Facebook’s annual F8 meeting at Silicon Valley in April to see Zuckerberg
- Breakfast with top executive of Facebook (very likely Sheryl Sandberg if she is free)
Second Prize (2 teams)
- $USD 900
Third Prize (3 teams)
- $USD 500
Outstanding teams (4 teams)
- Special prize

My thoughts:
The classes were really inspiring: learning AI from Yann LeCun (you should definitely google him if you don’t know him; he is one of the top 3 recognized people in AI), learning VR from the founder of Oculus, learning how to put together the right team from the Head of HR at Facebook, and learning M&A from the person who spearheaded the acquisition of WhatsApp and Oculus. As always, the Q&A and follow up questions are the best. There were many exciting projects in the final pitch. My team project, for example, was working with super-bright students developing an AI music composer. Our team was comprised of an exchange student from Washington University, a part-time MBA with 12 years of experience in IT, an undergraduate from Tsinghua University School of Electrical Engineering, and an undergraduate from the Tsinghua School of Architecture.

Others:
In general, the program is at a higher level and more internationally focused than I had expected. I especially enjoyed the two courses I listed above. I never thought I would have the opportunity to listen to so many executive-level people in a course. So I loved it.

If you want to know more about the program you can contact the school, or me, at yan.16@sem.tsinghua.edu.cn. Best of luck in your applications if you are applying. I will be in Boston this coming year. Feel free to come and find me if you are interested. Cheers.

Hi Hugo,

Thanks for sharing your experience. The program sounds very interesting :) Can I ask what is the difference between this program and the Schwarzman scholar program, also at Tsinghua Uni ? Is this part of that Schwarzman scholar program that u had to apply to ?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Two courses from Tsinghua Global (Full-time) MBA that you should know &nbs [#permalink] 08 Apr 2018, 22:34

Two courses from Tsinghua Global (Full-time) MBA that you should know

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap