It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8363 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)
Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 06:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:09) correct 46% (01:16) wrong based on 286 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in New Jersey.

(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such one has been set

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such taxes has been set

OA after three attempts
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Last edited by daagh on 08 Sep 2015, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1150 [1], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
D ? :oops:

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1150 [1], given: 327

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 337

WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 08:27
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with D too. Option A and B are not parallel. In option C " no such one has" doesnt make sense. In option E " Although there are usually " doesnt make sense. hence D.

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 337

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 246 [1], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I would go with D.

Correct comparison and correct Subject-verb agreement.

Regards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 246 [1], given: 39

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 09:18
How can D be correct if in the first part of the sentence the plural form "gasoline taxes" is used but the singular "tax" is used in the second part?

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 09:59
Gurface
Is there any need to maintain number parallelism between a subordinate clause and the main clause? Look at the following example; because my neighbor does not permit his children to surf internet after 10 pm, Tom is unable to send emails past that time.
Now do we have to say children again in the main clause just because we have used a plural in the first place?

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 375

GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 10:13
Can some one please help me with answer choice A and B
both of them are wrong because of wrong comparisons ? Also what is the role of 'There' ?

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in NJ

To correct this sentence we need NJ after the ',' ?

Thanks in Advance

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 375

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 10:23
bhatiavai
Yes! you are correct; wneed 'in NJ' after the comma in A and just 'NJ' after the comma in B

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 12:05
daagh wrote:
bhatiavai
Yes! you are correct; wneed 'in NJ' after the comma in A and just 'NJ' after the comma in B

HI Daagh,

I have a doubt here, IF we need NJ after comma in A and B then why don't we need that after comma in D

Kindly let me know what am I missing here

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

3 KUDOS received
Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 94 [3], given: 147

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
kanigmat011 wrote:
daagh wrote:
bhatiavai

HI Daagh,

I have a doubt here, If we need NJ after comma in A and B then why don't we need that after comma in D

Kindly let me know what am I missing here

You do not need NJ after comma in D and E, but you do require in A, B and C. This is because A, B and C have a different structure. Unlike is a preposition for comparison which require a noun to be compared with a noun. So structure for Like/Unlike is Like A, B... Here A and B should both be nouns.

In D and E, we have an adverbial clause modifying the main clause.

In D, the adverbial or subordinating clause is "Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area"

Main clause, no such tax has been set in NJ.

Here adverbial clause is modifying the main clause. Adverb clause don't have to be parallel in structure with the main clause. So if subject of adverb clause is "state or local authorities of tri-state area", main clause does not have to have "state or local authorities of NJ" as its subject. As long as adverbial clause is modifying the main clause logically, we are good.

Hope it helps.

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Kudos [?]: 94 [3], given: 147

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 20:23
why C is wrong?
such one is wrong?

pls help

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 916

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 03:07
What does the indefinite pronoun 'one' refer to? We might be tempted to say that it refers to the 'tax', but there is no such word as tax in the clause. There is only the 'taxes'. So we have to specifically state the word 'tax'

Narendran 98845 44509

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 146

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2015, 01:23
This post received
KUDOS
Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in New Jersey.

(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area[/u], there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities ---- wrong comparison, no parallelism

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none --- the same error (a), so it's a wrong comparison

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such [b]one[/b] has been set -- "one" refers to taxes, so has should be have

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set , correct

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such [u]taxes has been
set (taxes = plural, has=singular)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 146

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 13:15
Basic split is between Unlike and Although.

Lets quickly look at the ones with Unlike -- Both A and B are using unlike incorrectly. Correct format is Unlike X, Y (where X and Y both are Noun). So A and B are out.

E is using "Usually" as an adverb for the taxes, which does not look correct. So E is out.

Between C and D -- I feel D is better choice with a appositive modifier which clearly mentions Tax instead of using "one" which we are not sure about if it is pointing to Tax or tri-state area or something else.

so D is the answer.

daagh wrote:

(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such one has been set

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such taxes has been set

OA after three attempts

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 223 [1], given: 199

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:

OA after three attempts
Why choice A is incorrect?

Unlike in X, there is no Gasoline taxes in Y. Is it incorrect?

Moreover, choice D says 'state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area'. Does the original sentence say that state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area. It says gasoline taxes are not set by state or local authorities in NJ.

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 223 [1], given: 199

Re: Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 05:44

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap