GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 13:35

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

November 18, 2018

November 18, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative stud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative stud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (00:56) correct 22% (01:08) wrong based on 584 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study relies not on the records of White slave owners but on the records of the salves themselves, especially the 70 or so autobiographies and memoirs that have been preserved.

(A) that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s
(B) that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his
(C) earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his
(D) earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s
(E) the earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his

Originally posted by pankajattri on 02 Oct 2010, 11:39.
Last edited by Bunuel on 11 Sep 2018, 08:47, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Re: Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative stud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 12:52
This problem has floated through various forums with an incorrect OA. In order for A to be correct, it would need to use "those of" instead of "that of" to refer to the studies conducted for those earlier works (plural those to match with plural works).

The correct answer would be D, comparing the early works with his study.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative stud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2012, 03:01
"that" when used with "of" creates a possessive pronoun that needs to refer to some characterstic of the earlier studies, rather than the studies themselves. Additionally, it would be very rare to use "that of" when referring to a plural noun - we would usually use "those of". "that of" would only be correct if we were referring to some communal characterstic that the studies had as a group.

An example of proper usage of "that of" would be:

"Unlike that of earlier studies, the genre of Blassingame's study is..."

More likely, we'd see something like:

"Unlike those of earlier studies, the table of contents of Blassingame's study...".

In the posted sentence, we're comparing the studies themselves to Blassingame's study, so "that of" is 100% incorrect.

As an aside, we can definitely compare a group to a specific person.

The following are proper comparisons:

"Unlike most other hockey players, Wayne Gretzky was more excited about getting an assist than a goal."

"Like her co-workers, Melissa enjoyed a good drink at happy hour."

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

General Discussion
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2012, 01:31
A is the correct answer as Blassingame’s study is compared to study of earlier work. "That" refers correctly to "study".

Unlike study of earlier work on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study- seems correct, no ambiguity.

D compares Blassingame’s study with earlier work and thus, makes comparison not parallel.
VP
VP
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2012, 01:42
I can find no justification for A to be the right answer. I think its D. Would nothave been very disappointed had this question appeared and I had gone with D on the exam. A is just wrong for me.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2012, 02:52
MacFauz wrote:
I can find no justification for A to be the right answer. I think its D. Would nothave been very disappointed had this question appeared and I had gone with D on the exam. A is just wrong for me.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

In any case, i think D is correctly paired than A even though I initially chose A.
Take a look at the diagram I've attached and post if you have further reservations.
Attachments

blassingame and slavery.jpg
blassingame and slavery.jpg [ 26.42 KiB | Viewed 16037 times ]

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2012, 05:05
Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study relies not on the
records of White slave owners but on the records of the salves themselves, especially the
70 or so autobiographies and memoirs that have been preserved.

A. that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s "that" correctly refers to "study"
B. that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his wrong; compares works with Blessingame
C. earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his wrong; compares works with Blessingame
D. earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s wrong; At least IMO the problem here comes from the possesive Blessingame's; The example answer currently compares earlier works to this study
E. the earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his wrong; compares works with Blessingame

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 02:07
Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study relies not on the records of White slave owners but on the records of the salves themselves, especially the 70 or so autobiographies and memoirs that have been preserved.

First thing to address : the comparison.
All illogical comparisons must be wrong, so:
B. that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his
C. earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his
E. the earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his

Between A and D.
A. Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study
D. Unlike earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study

Please note that the correct answer is D and not A.
"that" is A has no reference. I mean in the comparisons "unlike ____, ____" the next part after the comma must complete the comparison: in D you have "unlike a work, a study" <== correct
Unlike X, Y (comparison X-Y) is the correct construct; unlike THAT of x, Y(comparison THAT-Y)
in A the subject of the comparison is not the work, but is "that" which has no reference. What is that?

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 02:35
That can refer to innovative study also right?
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 03:04
skamal7 wrote:
That can refer to innovative study also right?

More than correct.

Unlike that=innovative study of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study relies not on the records of White slave owners but on the records of the salves themselves, especially the 70 or so autobiographies and memoirs that have been preserved.

makes no sense at all (unlike the study of works??)

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2014, 08:05
Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study relies not on the records
of White slave owners but on the records of the salves themselves, especially the 70 or so
autobiographies and memoirs that have been preserved.

A. that of earlier words on slavery, Blassingame’s
B. that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his (Wrong --- two type of study is compared)
C. earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his (Wrong --- two type of study is compared)
D. earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s
E. the earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his (Wrong --- two type of study is compared)
B,C,E gone
2 left --- A, D
unlike x, y --- noun are compared .
hence D .
in A --- no referent for that .
hope its help . kudos appreciated .

Regards ,

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 04:28
KyleWiddison wrote:
This problem has floated through various forums with an incorrect OA. In order for A to be correct, it would need to use "those of" instead of "that of" to refer to the studies conducted for those earlier works (plural those to match with plural works).

KW

Hi Kyle,
I have a quick question on this.
I am having difficulty in understanding this. IMO, even a study can cover multiple works hence below 2 versions shall be fine.
Unlike study of earlier words on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study Vs
Unlike studies of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 04:52
JarvisR wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:

KW

Hi Kyle,
I have a quick question on this.
I am having difficulty in understanding this. IMO, even a study can cover multiple works hence below 2 versions shall be fine.
Unlike study of earlier words on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study Vs
Unlike studies of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study

Those examples you give are fine. We can compare a study with another singular study or a group of studies. The error in the previous was with using "that" instead of "those" when referring to "studies".

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 03:17
OA is A? 'That' is ambiguous

IMO D) is the best option.

Consider Kudos for my post, if it is helpful.
TIA

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 07:29
shyind wrote:
OA is A? 'That' is ambiguous

IMO D) is the best option.

Check out my earlier posts on this thread. The OA is not A - it's D. In choice A, the error with that is one of pronoun agreement. We should have the plural "those" instead of the singular "that".

KW

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 14:11
pankajattri wrote:
Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study relies not on the
records of White slave owners but on the records of the salves themselves, especially the

A. that of earlier words on slavery, Blassingame’s

OA is D

Meaning of the sentence- Blassingame's innovative study (His work) relies not on the records of white slave owners but on the records of the slaves. Whereas, earlier works were opposite to the new study; earlier works relied on the records of white slave owners rather than on the records of slaves.

Few Things to notice:-
1) New study (New work) is compared to the old works and NOT to the study of old works

Let's look at the answer choices:-

A. that (try replacing 'that' with 'study'. So, now the sentence is-Unlike study of earlier works on slavery, B's innovative study relies on... How can study of earlier works rely on something? In fact, work itself could rely on something, at least in the given sentence) of earlier words on slavery, Blassingame’s
B. that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame (B is compared with earlier study) in his
C. earlier works on slavery, Blassingame (B is compared with earlier works) in his
D. earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s Most appropriate choice. Earlier works are compared with Blassingame's innovative work
E. the earlier works on slavery, Blassingame (compared with earlier works) in his

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 20:56
Quote:

A. that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s

A. Illogical comparison - study of earlier works compared to B's study . Also , "that of" is singular and can't refer to some characterstic of the earlier studies
B. Illogical comparison - study with B himself
C. Illogical comparison - work with B himself
D. Correct
E. Illogical comparison - Works with B

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 23:54
hi daagh,

if option E uses Blassingame's instead of Blassingame, is E right choice. can we use 'the earlier works' in this case?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 03:06
Top Contributor
Deepika
Hi

The given choice E.------ the earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his
Your choice E.------ the earlier works on slavery, “Blassingame’s (work)” and “ in his study” will be redundant as well as meaningless

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 08:09
hi daagh,

if' in his' is also removed and the sentence is 'the earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative study..." is this sentence right?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative stud &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2016, 08:09

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s innovative stud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap