It is currently 16 Aug 2017, 06:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

USC Marshall Profile Eval Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

USC Marshall Profile Eval Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 20:09

!
This thread is the master profile evaluations thread for USC Marshall applications only. We do not want random profile evaluation threads everywhere on the forum. This will help people get some consolidated (and free :P ) advice from consultants and help others learn as well.

Post your profile here if you want!

Suggested Template

Background and nationality
Undergrad Information
GMAT:
Work experience and leadership
Community and others
Post MBA goals
Anything else?

Hey everyone,

I applied to University of Southern California Marshall School of Business masters in Business Taxation (MBT) program. I applied on the day of the deadline.
I did very poor on the GMAT, but only had a week to prepare and it was my first one. My score is not at all a reflection of my academic capabilities.
I feel that I have a lot more to offer. Here are a few highlights:

School: Hidden Ivy (rather not disclose too much information)
Major: Accounting
GPA: 3.21
GMAT: 410
Work Experience: 2 summers of interning at an accounting firm
Extracurricular activities: Division I athlete

I understand how low my GMAT score is, the only problem is that I had to rush to take the test because of the deadline. I would've used at least 2 months to prepare, but I did not have that kind of time due to the deadline. I would like to take the test again, but I don't think I will be able to get a test in before admission's decision.

Anyone have an idea of my chances? I assume they are pretty slim.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 131

GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q46 V40
GMAT 4: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: USC Marshall Profile Eval Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 22:07
The current class has an Average GMAT of 640. So, though I dont know what is the lowest GMAT score that they accept, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that even if you are a good candidate (provided you tell a good story) they would be reluctant to take you for the fact that they will have a competing candidate with a better score in all probability, who would not bring their avg GMAT down. Also your GPA is lesser than their average (3.5). Usually you offset a bad GMAT with a good GPA and vice versa. But Marshall will have a better pool of applicants with good GMAT and GPA. Short story....little chance..

Disclaimer : I am not an expert. Just speaking from experience/perception.
Edit: Quoted the statistics from the right program.
ToyzIIKen wrote:
Hey everyone,

I applied to University of Southern California Marshall School of Business masters in Business Taxation (MBT) program. I applied on the day of the deadline.
I did very poor on the GMAT, but only had a week to prepare and it was my first one. My score is not at all a reflection of my academic capabilities.
I feel that I have a lot more to offer. Here are a few highlights:

School: Hidden Ivy (rather not disclose too much information)
Major: Accounting
GPA: 3.21
GMAT: 410
Work Experience: 2 summers of interning at an accounting firm
Extracurricular activities: Division I athlete

I understand how low my GMAT score is, the only problem is that I had to rush to take the test because of the deadline. I would've used at least 2 months to prepare, but I did not have that kind of time due to the deadline. I would like to take the test again, but I don't think I will be able to get a test in before admission's decision.

Anyone have an idea of my chances? I assume they are pretty slim.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 131

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation for USC.PM [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 23:44
Hello everyone,
I was hoping if someone could review my profile, and gauge my chances of getting into USC's part-time MBA program.
BACKGROUND-
Work experience: 5 years in the mortgage industry (3 years - Quality Control Auditor, 2 years - Capital Markets Analyst. I work at a mortgage bank (200 employees), not too well known.
Undergrad school/major: UC Irvine - Economics/International Studies
Other education/coursework: UCLA Extension: Accounting Intro Courses, Statistics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics (4.0 GPA)
Race/nationality: Korean
Sex: Male
STATS-
GMAT Score: xxx (aiming for 700+) Undergrad GPA: 2.87
MBA INFO-
Goal of MBA: Education, Networking. Become CEO at my current company (Family business).
Target school: USC Part-time MBA program

Intern
Intern
B

Profile Evaluation for USC.PM [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 23:44
Hello everyone,
I was hoping if someone could review my profile, and gauge my chances of getting into USC's part-time MBA program.
BACKGROUND-
Work experience: 5 years in the mortgage industry (3 years - Quality Control Auditor, 2 years - Capital Markets Analyst. I work at a mortgage bank (200 employees), not too well known.
Other education/coursework: UCLA Extension: Accounting Intro Courses, Statistics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics (4.0 GPA)
STATS-
MBA INFO-
Goal of MBA: Education, Networking. Become CEO at my current company (Family business).

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Profile Evaluation for USC.PM [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 14:59
carpediem437 wrote:
Hello everyone,
BACKGROUND-
STATS-
MBA INFO-

Thanks for your post! You have a good shot at the USC part-time MBA program. I would love to hear more about your family business as this could help you reach your MBA goals. What is the business and how much have you worked for it so far? Feel free to email me and we can discuss further: scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 17:20
Thanks for sharing.

Defining clearly how the MBA would help you achieve your goals and objectives with the family business would help. You may include details on the challenges and opportunities you are facing, or exciting new initiatives you want to lead, such new market entry, improved distribution channels, or introduction of a product line, etc. Relate how the MBA program would help you achieve this.

Articulating these clearly would convince the Admissions Committee that you would indeed benefit from an MBA, and boost your chances.

Wish you all the best!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 17:23
You may also find our blog entry below helpful:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2016/05 ... -and-back/

From the Family Business to Business School (and Back)

“You’re going back to the family business?”

If you’re planning to attend business school with the ultimate intent of working for your family’s business, some of your friends will probably wonder why you would consider pursuing an MBA when they feel that a clear path has already been (very well) paved for you with the power, privilege, and prestige of your family’s business handed to you on a silver platter. Some will envy you, some will resent you, and even more will wonder if you really need an MBA, while you yourself doubt how stating this post-MBA goal will affect your odds of admission.

Interestingly, articulating your personal story towards convince your friends of this decision may also be the same formula towards strengthening your case to getting admitted to your target schools. Let’s examine three ways you can best explain to the Admissions Committee your plans to go from your family’s business to business school, and back:

1) Win Admiration from Peers
Displaying your competence through your strong academic and job accomplishments, demonstrating your character through your work ethic and values, or showcasing how you have gotten involved with interesting and worthwhile activities will help show you as someone who can make it on their own. In turn, this display of independence – that you don’t completely rely on your family to succeed – will work towards winning admiration and respect from your peers, and even your subordinates.

Imagine, sometime in the near future (perhaps your late 20’s or early 30’s), being introduced as the new General Manager of your family’s business. Some whispers from your employees would surely be, “She’s the daughter of the boss, that’s why…” From your side, you would want them to also recognize how you have also excelled outside of the family business environment, whether it is at another company, or towards a specific social cause or interest. Similarly, explaining this desire to find your own success, independent of your family, will be a great way to explain your MBA aspirations to the Admissions Committee.

2) Acknowledge Your Good Fortune
In discussing your history in relation to your family’s business, you would do well to be grateful for the circumstances you have been blessed with. This gratitude will serve as a good point to highlight the knowledge, exposure and network you are equipped with – attractive qualities that can benefit your future business school community, as well.

Mentioning specifics about your family’s business to demonstrate its scale and potential impact not only shows your awareness and interest in the business, but also helps the Admissions Committee realize the impact you can make in the business world. Providing details on the products this company provides, or on its business model, will also help them visualize what you are involved with now, and how it can influence you as a future MBA.

3) Articulate Your Passion
Tell the Admissions Committee what you are excited to do after business school, such as leading the entry into a new market, launching a product line, building a distribution channel, or formulating new company plans. You can also share the challenges your family’s business is currently facing – perhaps it is the need to modernize its systems and processes, or its struggle with the more personal aspects of succession planning or even family politics. Showing your focus and drive to achieve these specific post-MBA objectives – and explaining how attending business school will help you attain these goals – will further demonstrate your substance and maturity.

Relate these future plans and current challenges to your need for an MBA at your specific school of interest by identifying exactly what you aim to gain at their program and how you plan to bring it back to your family’s business. Doing this will help convince the Admission Committee that you are the right fit for their program and deserving of a spot.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.22
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 17:38
Looks solid to me, the advice above is pretty much par for the course for any MBA program. No school wants to accept anyone who might waste their education or money, know what you are there to do, have a goal and mission.
As far as applying goes, your profile looks good to me. I would only say that your GPA is on the lower end and you might want to address that and what was it that led to a low GPA at UCI. Zot son. Zot.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 10:34
In general, I would not worry too much with a profile like that, but you will definitely need to be able to articulate your goal with the MBA a bit better. The description right now, even if embellished, is just not competitive or interesting enough, in my opinion. That can easily be fixed, however, by doing some research and/or using professional help (I would be happy to explain how we at ARINGO - aringo.com - work with these matters, if you’d like). So basically I see you as a suitable candidate but you do need to work hard on your application, so be prepared to do that. (Also describing your working experience so far in a more detailed way - what about leadership, for instance? - would probably help)

Don’t mean to put you down of course, this is really a small issue to fix compared to what others have to work with, so take it as constructive criticism and good luck!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Schools: Marshall '22
Profile Evaluation Full Time MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 08:40
Hello,

Im an argentinian entrepreneur (half italian actually)

GMAT 730
GPA 7 / 10 in Industrial Engineering at a private univ. ( Uphill trend )

Represented my university in the Argentinian association of IE students while in college.

Freely gave classes of Physics, Electromagnetism, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics to my peers.

Taught Guitar for 2 years.

Speak Spanish, English, Italian and Japanese (written and spoken), all of them fluently.

Launched a startup just for fun 3 years ago, edtech sector. Its my FT job now. (Im the CEO and founder)

Zen Buddhist who also practices sintoism (helped me found myself when I was lost, my essay will be quite interesting).

I want to be a trojan!

Edit: Insight on Argentine GPA, just in case.

Pass with 4/10, 4 = 60%. In english system, a 6 = 2:2 and 7.5 = 2:1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Profile Evaluation Full Time MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 08:58
Wow... You have a really interesting profile!... You have a very good chance at USC...I would suggest you to apply to colleges higher than USC in the rankings!

Ask the best!

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 42

Intern
Intern

Schools: Foster '19 (S)
Re: Profile Evaluation Full Time MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 11:41
nicocurti wrote:
Hello,

Im an argentinian entrepreneur (half italian actually)

GMAT 730
GPA 7 / 10 in Industrial Engineering at a private univ. ( Uphill trend )

Represented my university in the Argentinian association of IE students while in college.

Freely gave classes of Physics, Electromagnetism, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics to my peers.

Taught Guitar for 2 years.

Speak Spanish, English, Italian and Japanese (written and spoken), all of them fluently.

Launched a startup just for fun 3 years ago, edtech sector. Its my FT job now. (Im the CEO and founder)

Zen Buddhist who also practices sintoism (helped me found myself when I was lost, my essay will be quite interesting).

I want to be a trojan!

Edit: Insight on Argentine GPA, just in case.

Pass with 4/10, 4 = 60%. In english system, a 6 = 2:2 and 7.5 = 2:1

If your startup also helped with community work (teaching underprivileged children or made education more affordable for the masses), then you can state that in an application to UCLA and they would admit you on the spot!

Intern
Intern

Schools: Foster '19 (S)
Profile Evaluation Request - Full Time MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 11:42
Hi guys! I could really use the expertise and advice from someone here. I am an Indian Production Engineer and graduated from the Manipal Institute of Technology in 2015 (7.65 CGPA).

I've since been working in a family business and have worked in roles varying from sales to marketing, business development and product management.
I've represented my company in exhibitions and conferences internationally.
I have single handedly helped my company save a huge amount of money on the biggest hydro power project of its type in the world.
I have also led the design of a new pricing and initial design format that increased accuracy and decreased client response time from a matter of days to a matter of minutes.

I have a 760 on the GMAT and should have 26 months of experience by Fall 2017. I do not have any community work or extra curriculars but I have played a lot of sports as a hobby (and can play most of them well) which I believe has led to a lot of character development both on and off the field.

Given my lack of community work and relatively low work experience, should I apply to Marshall?

Intern
Intern
B

Re: USC Marshall Profile Eval Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 14:06
Please review my profile and provide any advice! Thanks!

Background and nationality: White Male
Undergrade Information: BA Accounting from large state school (Oregon, Washington, Arizona)
GPA: 3.53
GMAT: 680
Work experience and leadership: 2 years at Bulge Bracket Bank doing credit risk analysis & advisory, covering healthcare companies; then 2 years doing corporate finance (FP&A and IR work) at a F500 Healthcare Provider company.
Community and others Sat on board of directors for a large non-profit ; performed two years of service work in foreign country
Post-MBA goals I want to leverage my healthcare background and pivot into a product manager role for biotech/big pharma. USC places a lot of its students in this field.

Thank you for providing any feedback!

Top Contributor
VP
VP
B

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 00:26
Top Contributor
Abach wrote:
Please review my profile and provide any advice! Thanks!

Background and nationality: White Male
Undergrade Information: BA Accounting from large state school (Oregon, Washington, Arizona)
GPA: 3.53
GMAT: 680
Work experience and leadership: 2 years at Bulge Bracket Bank doing credit risk analysis & advisory, covering healthcare companies; then 2 years doing corporate finance (FP&A and IR work) at a F500 Healthcare Provider company.
Community and others Sat on board of directors for a large non-profit ; performed two years of service work in foreign country
Post-MBA goals I want to leverage my healthcare background and pivot into a product manager role for biotech/big pharma. USC places a lot of its students in this field.

Thank you for providing any feedback!

Hi Abach

Looks pretty good overall, and if possible, you should try and enhance that GMAT score by another 20 points, if not strictly from an admissions point of view, then from a scholarship point of view. Apart from that, in your app, be sure to showcase the general management/industry/strategic skills you have gained through your work, because there is a slight disconnect in terms of financial analysis/corp fin for healthcare and product manager roles (as you will see, many people who get into such roles have a prior background in operational biotech). This is not to criticize at all, but just to suggest further things to do.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 19:08
Hi all, I would appreciate any feedback you have on my non-traditional and slightly challenging profile. I am interested in USC's MBA.PM part time program.

Background and nationality-- female, American, mixed race

Undergrad Information-- CSU system, B.A. Art History, 2.67 GPA (I worked part/full time all of school to pay for UG, I will expound in the optional essay.)

GMAT-- 570 (Taken last year, I've since taken a prep class and will sit for it again in September.)

Work experience and leadership-- 8 years in nonprofits. I started in fundraising and board work, then marketing for 5 years to a manager title. Most recently, for the last year or so, in CRM strategy and management (more of a martech position) leading a small team. I have several examples of heading up inter-departmental teams on projects and training. I've also been selected to present at industry conferences several years in a row.

Community and others-- Currently, I focus my time on two orgs. One, architecture and history, where I have been on the program committee for their annual fundraiser for 3 years. The other is shift volunteering with a local no-kill shelter. I've done that for a year and a half.

Post MBA goals-- I’m interested in broadening my impact within the field, particularly around brand management and creating technological growth opportunities to increase net revenue, areas in which nonprofits are not known for their celerity. My long term goal is to be the Director of an arts focused nonprofit or museum where I can motivate a diverse team to develop forward-thinking institutional programs, promote an agile and entrepreneurial environment and create outreach initiatives and leadership opportunities reflective of the Los Angeles community (I plan to stay in the LA area).

Anything else? -- After I retake the GMAT I hope to enroll in a UCLA extension stats class.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall Profile Eval Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2017, 19:08