GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Jan 2020, 18:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Using functional job title instead of actual job title

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge
Using functional job title instead of actual job title  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 13:06
Hello everyone,

My company (Fortune 500, US based) uses generic job titles that will most likely not give the Adcom any sense of my actual responsibilities. For instance, my current title is "senior staff developer analyst". I've gotten this title after 3 promotions and its equivalent to a Manager title internally and my next promotion will be to the Senior Manager title. I've had people reporting to me as well. Now my problem is many people who are purely technical and don't have any leadership responsibilities also have this title, plus the title won't be impressive or come across for someone in a pure technical role. I instead want to use the title 'Manager' in my resume and applications. I know that Re Vera and other services does a background check. Will this be an issue if I am able to provide an explanation for the title change?

Please advise!
Thanks!
ARLee Consulting
G
MBA Admissions & Career Coaching by INSEAD alumnus and former Samsung Head of HR. Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE

Affiliations:
INSEAD MBA 11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS

Reviews on GMAT Club:
Re: Using functional job title instead of actual job title  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2019, 13:54
Hi sdlife,

this is actually a common situation. In many companies, title and position (or role) are two different things.

Title is typically something internal and tells your seniority within the organization. Common titles are Analyst, Assistant Manager, Manager, Senior Manager, Director and so on. But they could also be indicators such as E1, E2, E3, E4, etc... These are called "bands" in HR jargon.

Position (or role) is more an indication of what you do in the company. For example, Head of Retail Marketing, or in your case, Senior Staff Developer Analyst (although it's not really that self-explanatory).

A promotion is a change of title (or band), but not necessarily a change in role. So you could be Head of Retail Marketing at Manager level, and be promoted to Senior Manager while keeping your Head of Retail Marketing role.

In order to play it safe, you could put in your resume something like "Senior Staff Developer Analyst - Manager Level". Or simply come up with a more descriptive position of what you actually do and that sounds less techy (let's say Head of X), and put something like "Head of X - Manager Level".

If you opt for the latter, make sure your recommenders (for example, if your current direct supervisor is one of them) back you up in their recommendation letters, i.e. they talk about you in terms of Head of X. Also, talk to your HR Team and make sure that you do show up in the HR system as Manager Level.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Check out our REVIEWS on GMAT Club here

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2019, 14:18
ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi sdlife,

this is actually a common situation. In many companies, title and position (or role) are two different things.

Title is typically something internal and tells your seniority within the organization. Common titles are Analyst, Assistant Manager, Manager, Senior Manager, Director and so on. But they could also be indicators such as E1, E2, E3, E4, etc... These are called "bands" in HR jargon.

Position (or role) is more an indication of what you do in the company. For example, Head of Retail Marketing, or in your case, Senior Staff Developer Analyst (although it's not really that self-explanatory).

A promotion is a change of title (or band), but not necessarily a change in role. So you could be Head of Retail Marketing at Manager level, and be promoted to Senior Manager while keeping your Head of Retail Marketing role.

In order to play it safe, you could put in your resume something like "Senior Staff Developer Analyst - Manager Level". Or simply come up with a more descriptive position of what you actually do and that sounds less techy (let's say Head of X), and put something like "Head of X - Manager Level".

If you opt for the latter, make sure your recommenders (for example, if your current direct supervisor is one of them) back you up in their recommendation letters, i.e. they talk about you in terms of Head of X. Also, talk to your HR Team and make sure that you do show up in the HR system as Manager Level.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Hi Alex / ARLeeConsulting,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your inputs. I greatly appreciate it.

So I did a little bit of a research since posting this - my company handle verification through a third party company, i.e., HRs don't get involved. So, I believe Re Vera would get my current title in their verification. HR teams don't get involved unless its absolutely necessary. I also spoke to one of my recommenders (previous supervisor for 6 years) and he agreed that the title doesn't make sense and suggested to use 'Manager, Data Analytics' or 'Manager, Analytics'. In the recommendations, both my recommenders are using 'manager' or 'head of XX' multiple times.

As a next step, I can try to contact HR team which could take some time, but I know they won't change anything in the system. Its a really big company and these things can't happen for one employee. I can try to get their approval to make sure they can verify if Re Vera contacts them, but they may or may not be okay with it.

Now, when Re Vera runs into these kind of issues (title mismatch), do you know if they try to go the recommenders or prefer speaking to the HR?

How do you feel about just going with the title - 'Manager, Analytics' ?

Thank you again! Much appreciate the help.

Regards,
SD
ARLee Consulting
G
MBA Admissions & Career Coaching by INSEAD alumnus and former Samsung Head of HR. Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE

Affiliations:

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2019, 14:51
Hi sdlife,

thank you for providing further detail.

I wasn't suggesting to ask your HR Team to change anything in their system. As you mentioned, these things don't happen at the employee's request. What I meant is to make sure that at least you do show up as Manager in the HR internal system.

I was the Head of HR of Samsung Electronics Mexico for several years, so I'll speak from my experience. Sometimes, direct supervisors changed their employees' positions (for example, from sales associate to product management associate), without notifying HR of the change. So our HR system, most of the time, didn't have the most up to date positions for all employees. But we did keep titles (or bands, as explained in my previous post) up to date, since titles were completely owned by HR (i.e. no one could be promoted without the approval of HR). This could be also the case in your company.

So, my point is that, regardless of your "Senior Staff Developer Analyst" position, as long as you show up in the HR system as Manager (title), in case of background check, your title (i.e. Manager) will be backed up by the HR system, and your position (Head of X) will be backed up by your supervisors in their recommendation letters.

So, you could go with 'Manager, Data Analytics' or 'Manager, Analytics', or any position that makes sense to you and your recommenders.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2019, 13:18
ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi sdlife,

thank you for providing further detail.

I wasn't suggesting to ask your HR Team to change anything in their system. As you mentioned, these things don't happen at the employee's request. What I meant is to make sure that at least you do show up as Manager in the HR internal system.

I was the Head of HR of Samsung Electronics Mexico for several years, so I'll speak from my experience. Sometimes, direct supervisors changed their employees' positions (for example, from sales associate to product management associate), without notifying HR of the change. So our HR system, most of the time, didn't have the most up to date positions for all employees. But we did keep titles (or bands, as explained in my previous post) up to date, since titles were completely owned by HR (i.e. no one could be promoted without the approval of HR). This could be also the case in your company.

So, my point is that, regardless of your "Senior Staff Developer Analyst" position, as long as you show up in the HR system as Manager (title), in case of background check, your title (i.e. Manager) will be backed up by the HR system, and your position (Head of X) will be backed up by your supervisors in their recommendation letters.

So, you could go with 'Manager, Data Analytics' or 'Manager, Analytics', or any position that makes sense to you and your recommenders.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Hello Alex / ARLeeConsulting,

Thank you so much. Per your recommendation, I did speak with the HR team and my recommenders. My recommenders agreed to use the Manager, XX title and are willing to verify. However, the issue is that I spoke with the HR team and they said that they can only provide my current title to anyone verifying my employment. They are not allowed to divulge functional titles information nor do they have any external/functional titles in the system. Its a big US fortune 100 company and they don't do verification directly. All the verification is handled through third party companies, which when 'Re Vera' would use will only provide my current title and existing salary, other information. The HR team said they I am 'level 5' in my analyst track.

I know that Re Vera reaches out to the applicant if they see any discrepancies, and if they do reach out to me, I'll explain. But if they are not satisfied, do they try to get a hold of HR of the company or recommenders? My essays, recommendations and application all have consistency and proof that I am the head of XX or Manager, Analytics. For example, my recommenders have mentioned couple times that 'he is a top manager ... ' or 'he is the head of XXX'. So I am good there. Maybe I am thinking too much here, but I just want to be safe. I'd greatly appreciate if you could provide any more insights on Re Vera's process.

Thank you very much!
ARLee Consulting
G

Affiliations:

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 11:53
Hi sdlife,

if internally (i.e. as per the HR system) you're an Analyst Level 5, then you can write on your resume "Head of XX (Analyst Level 5)" or "Manager XX (Analyst Level 5)".

This way you minimize the chances of discrepancy while using a position name that is more descriptive of your real role and less techy.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Using functional job title instead of actual job title   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2019, 11:53

Using functional job title instead of actual job title

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi