GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UT Austin (McCombs) vs USC (Marshall) for Real Estate

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.67
UT Austin (McCombs) vs USC (Marshall) for Real Estate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 11:17
Hi All,

Admitted to both UT Austin and USC Marshall without any money. I am interested in pursuing real estate long term and am thinking about a post-MBA role in acquisitions or private equity. Both programs appear to have fairly strong real estate programs. USC offers a dual MBA/Masters in Real Estate Development program which allows you to get two masters on pretty much the same timeline, something I am considering. That said, I am open to exploring other opportunities during the program.

I have lived in California for 10 years and love it here. Realistically, even if I attended UT Austin, I would probably be looking to get back to the West Coast post-graduation.

I feel like UT Austin has a better overall MBA reputation. Both schools have incredibly similar class profiles in terms of GMAT/GPA. USC would arguably have a stronger network in the Southern California area where I ultimately would like to reside. UT Austin's program is about $9k cheaper in tuition each year and has a lower cost of living, however I feel like career opportunities should outweigh short-term financial discrepancies.

Any advice, input, or insights? It seems to me that it is a question of reputation vs geographic location. Do you agree? How would you weight them?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V46
GPA: 2.72
Re: UT Austin (McCombs) vs USC (Marshall) for Real Estate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 23:31
I think if you are sure you're going back to California anyways you should go to USC. That aside, Austin is a great city to live in, and I know lots of Californians move there for business due to similar culture/fit. McCombs has great resources for real estate finance too, including a student managed real estate PE fund. Either way I don't think that there is a wrong answer here.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 23:34
I would stay in LA and join the Trojan network. Seems it would be counter productive to move away and sever some of your connections only to move back later and rebuild them.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Other)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 08:44
Congrats for the admission offers!

If you want to work in California after the MBA, I agree that USC would probably be a better choice. However, as you said UT also has a concentration in Real State and a Real Estate Center, maybe you could reach out to some McCombs students pursuing careers in Real Estate to ask their opinion.

McCombs has just opened its new building, Rowlling Hall, and I believe it's a great time to join their MBA Program!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.67

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 08:20
Thank you very much for the feedback everyone! I have submitted my deposit to USC and am incredibly excited to be joining the Trojan family.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UT Austin (McCombs) vs USC (Marshall) for Real Estate &nbs [#permalink] 02 Apr 2018, 08:20

UT Austin (McCombs) vs USC (Marshall) for Real Estate

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap