Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618579 [3]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618579 [0]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: V05-33 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
winionhi wrote:
Doesn't the answer strike as, the "sea" was surrounded by the "wild southern winds" rather than the "fishermen"?

Yes, your understanding is correct. Please refer to the official explanation, in which your point is discussed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
winionhi wrote:
Doesn't the answer strike as, the "sea" was surrounded by the "wild southern winds" rather than the "fishermen"?

Yes, your understanding is correct. Please refer to the official explanation, in which your point is discussed.

Isn't that modifying the meaning of the initial statement?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
winionhi wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
winionhi wrote:

Isn't that modifying the meaning of the initial statement?

Yes, it does, but it is not mandatory that the original meaning is the intended meaning. If there are two possible gramatically correct answers, then go with the meaning that is in line with the original statement (that too if the original meaning is logical). If there is just one gramatically correct statement, then go for it even if it deviates in meaning from the original. GMAC has not mandated that the original sentence always has the intended meaning.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:

Yes, it does, but it is not mandatory that the original meaning is the intended meaning. If there are two possible gramatically correct answers, then go with the meaning that is in line with the original statement (that too if the original meaning is logical). If there is just one gramatically correct statement, then go for it even if it deviates in meaning from the original. GMAC has not mandated that the original sentence always has the intended meaning.

Oh. That's something I did not know before. Thanks for that, Sayantan. In this question, I chose to pick an incorrect answer over a grammatically correct one for the only reason that it was in-line with the intended meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 2.34
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I agree with the grammatical error in answer A, however, wouldn't it make more sense that the fisherman would be surrounded by winds instead of the sea? Using that logic I missed that grammatical error.

I guess its one really big storm to surround a sea
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 730 Q41 V49
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. "The sea was in acceptable condition" and "the conditions on the sea were acceptable" seem to have two different meanings.
Consider the opposite "The sea was in unacceptable condition" vs. "the condition on the sea were unacceptable". I feel that there is a difference in the meaning. The former has sea as a focus while the latter has conditions of the sea as focus. Based on the way the complete sentence is framed, the conditions of the sea should be the subject.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. The sea cannot be "surrounded" by wild winds. Since the sea continues in all directions and cannot be "surrounded" by wind, the stem implies that it is the local fisherman who are the subject of the passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Whats wrong with option B, modifier looks perfectly alright?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92881 posts