GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 23:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     07:00 PM PST

     08:00 PM PST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

V07-37

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4427
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 06:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:35) correct 39% (01:39) wrong based on 89 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During last several years, seniors at Jasper County’s public high schools has been performing worse on standardized college-entrance exams than their peers at Nesbit County’s public high Schools, a result caused by adoption of modern education system at Nesbit County's schools. In recent years, more and more Jasper County residents have been enrolling their children in private high schools, where the teacher-to-student ratio is traditionally lower than in public schools, and enrollment in Jasper County’s public high schools has dwindled as a result. Based only on the information above, parents residing in Jasper County and concerned about their child’s academic future should pursue which of the following courses of action?

A. Enroll their child in one of Jasper County’s public schools.
B. Stay in Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
C. Provide home schooling for their child rather than enrolling the child in either a public or private school.
D. Move away from Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
E. Move to Nesbit County and enroll their child in that county’s public schools.

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4427
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 06:26
Official Solution:

During last several years, seniors at Jasper County’s public high schools has been performing worse on standardized college-entrance exams than their peers at Nesbit County’s public high Schools, a result caused by adoption of modern education system at Nesbit County's schools. In recent years, more and more Jasper County residents have been enrolling their children in private high schools, where the teacher-to-student ratio is traditionally lower than in public schools, and enrollment in Jasper County’s public high schools has dwindled as a result. Based only on the information above, parents residing in Jasper County and concerned about their child’s academic future should pursue which of the following courses of action?

A. Enroll their child in one of Jasper County’s public schools.
B. Stay in Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
C. Provide home schooling for their child rather than enrolling the child in either a public or private school.
D. Move away from Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
E. Move to Nesbit County and enroll their child in that county’s public schools.

Comparatively high test scores among Nesbit County’s senior class constitues some evidence that Nesbit County’s public schools provide a better education than those in Jasper County. The argument for enrolling a child in a private school rather than a public school is weaker because it depends on the additional, unsubstantiated assumption that a low teacher-to-student ratio results in a higher-quality education. Education system and hence the performance of Nesbit county's public high schools is higher than that of Jasper's. The correct response is (E).

Answer: E
_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2012
Posts: 58
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 09:09
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. There is no information provided about the teachers moving in and out of either public or private high school. Also private schools might employee high teachers by paying more salaries and because of that reason public school teachers might also join private schools. So the answer choice is more of a guessing type and doesn't have enough clarity as the GMAT questions do.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 41
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 17:05
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

Last year, seniors at Jasper County’s public high schools performed worse on standardized college-entrance exams than their peers at Nesbit County’s public high schools. In recent years, more and more Jasper County residents have been enrolling their children in private high schools, where the teacher-to-student ratio is traditionally lower than in public schools, and enrollment in Jasper County’s public high schools has dwindled as a result. Based only on the information above, parents residing in Jasper County and concerned about their child’s academic future should pursue which of the following courses of action?

A. Enroll their child in one of Jasper County’s public schools.
B. Stay in Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
C. Provide home schooling for their child rather than enrolling the child in either a public or private school.
D. Move away from Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
E. Move to Nesbit County and enroll their child in that county’s public schools.

Comparatively high test scores among Nesbit County’s senior class constitues some evidence that Nesbit County’s public schools provide a better education than those in Jasper County. The argument for enrolling a child in a private school rather than a public school is weaker because it depends on the additional, unsubstantiated assumption that a low teacher-to-student ratio results in a higher-quality education. Moreover, current school-enrollment trends in Jasper County schools suggest that public schools are becoming more appealing — and private schools less appealing — in terms of teacher-to-student ratio. The correct response is (E).

Answer: E



Seriously?? One year's score is better and you are asking parents to move from one district to another, without any information on if the districts are on opposite US coasts! That's the logic we have to apply to get this right? I don't mean to be rude but the option didn't make sense to me at all when I thought of these factors. Put this paragraph and the right answer for AWA and people will have a field day working on this.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2014
Posts: 6
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V22
GRE 1: Q160 V144

GRE 2: Q161 V150
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 06:21
why the answer cannot be option B ,


souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

Last year, seniors at Jasper County’s public high schools performed worse on standardized college-entrance exams than their peers at Nesbit County’s public high schools. In recent years, more and more Jasper County residents have been enrolling their children in private high schools, where the teacher-to-student ratio is traditionally lower than in public schools, and enrollment in Jasper County’s public high schools has dwindled as a result. Based only on the information above, parents residing in Jasper County and concerned about their child’s academic future should pursue which of the following courses of action?

A. Enroll their child in one of Jasper County’s public schools.
B. Stay in Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
C. Provide home schooling for their child rather than enrolling the child in either a public or private school.
D. Move away from Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
E. Move to Nesbit County and enroll their child in that county’s public schools.

Comparatively high test scores among Nesbit County’s senior class constitues some evidence that Nesbit County’s public schools provide a better education than those in Jasper County. The argument for enrolling a child in a private school rather than a public school is weaker because it depends on the additional, unsubstantiated assumption that a low teacher-to-student ratio results in a higher-quality education. Moreover, current school-enrollment trends in Jasper County schools suggest that public schools are becoming more appealing — and private schools less appealing — in terms of teacher-to-student ratio. The correct response is (E).

Answer: E
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 41
Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Booth PT '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V26
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 06:49
Why can't answer be A. Since the number of students in jasper are joing private school, public school student to teacher ratio will reduce and this will help in improving scores.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2993
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 07:04
banty1987 wrote:
Why can't answer be A. Since the number of students in jasper are joing private school, public school student to teacher ratio will reduce and this will help in improving scores.


The stem does not provide any information that correlates lower teacher to student ratio with better performance.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Reviews Badge
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 11:29
hi i got the answer right but there seems to be a wrong explanation. as per my logic i chose E since the passage did not suggest that moving to a private school will increase grades thus the other county was the only logical choice based on given information.

The explanation wrongly states that private school numbers have declined while the passage states the opposite.

secondly im not clear about the ratio if the ratio of teachers to students has decreased doesnt it meant that from (1 teacher with 10 students it has become eg 1 teacher with 100 students)


regards,
Parth
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jun 2016
Posts: 22
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Insead Sept'18
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.25
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 19:54
I agree with parthc. The argument does not state about better score in case of private school, and the assumption of teacher-to-student ration is out of scope in evaluating the argument.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2993
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 05:59
Hientran48 wrote:
I agree with parthc. The argument does not state about better score in case of private school, and the assumption of teacher-to-student ration is out of scope in evaluating the argument.


The explanation has been modified.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 133
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 06:38
Hi, I don't think E can be the correct ans, and on top of this I even don't think this is type of question comes in GMAT. In no way this question comes under standard GMAT CR pattern. Even if GMAT asks this type of question, the question stems should be stronger. Now why I think 'E' can not be the ans - because, on one year's result, it is not a wise decision to shift to another place for your kid's studies.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2993
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 07:02
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
Hi, I don't think E can be the correct ans, and on top of this I even don't think this is type of question comes in GMAT. In no way this question comes under standard GMAT CR pattern. Even if GMAT asks this type of question, the question stems should be stronger. Now why I think 'E' can not be the ans - because, on one year's result, it is not a wise decision to shift to another place for your kid's studies.


Your point is valid - we have already modifed the stem to take care of this issue.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2017
Posts: 22
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Re: V07-37  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 14:59
If you read carefully the question stem, it asks you to consider "only" the information above: "Based only on the information above". The only evidence that any type of school is better than the other is that "Nesbit County’s public high Schools" perform better than "Jasper County’s public high schools".
_________________

"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: V07-37 &nbs [#permalink] 26 Nov 2017, 14:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

V07-37

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.