GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 May 2018, 11:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V08-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V08-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 09:36
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (00:53) correct 16% (01:18) wrong based on 57 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to Alistair Maclean’s novel, the invincible mountainous terrain of Navarone in the sea of Aegean was of utmost military importance to the German throughout the Second World war, because they realized that, if they did not exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British was always in peril.

A. if they did not exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British was always in peril
B. if they did not exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British could be liable to be in peril
C. if they did not exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British would be always in peril
D. if they were not to exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British was always in peril
E. their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British was always in peril, should they fail to exploit its strategic location

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V08-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 09:36
Official Solution:

According to Alistair Maclean’s novel, the invincible mountainous terrain of Navarone in the sea of Aegean was of utmost military importance to the German throughout the Second World war, because they realized that, if they did not exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British was always in peril.

A. if they did not exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British was always in peril
B. if they did not exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British could be liable to be in peril
C. if they did not exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British would be always in peril
D. if they were not to exploit its strategic location, their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British was always in peril
E. their survival against the indomitable naval might of the British was always in peril, should they fail to exploit its strategic location

A. The conditional and the main clause are in the same tense; the main sentence should be in the future modal.

B. ''could be liable to be'' is redundant and awful.

C. Correct choice with the conditional clause in simple past, and the main clause in future modal.

D. Correct subjunctive is “were they not to exploit" and not "if they were not to". Secondly, this is no hypothetical wish; so not an apt choice for subjunctive use.

E. 'Should’ is used in the place of 'if'. Normally it denotes some future happening. Hence, the main clause cannot be in the past tense, logically.

Answer: C

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Re: V08-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 17:18
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. "Aegean Sea", not "sea of Aegean"
"Germans", not "German"
third answer choice (C), "if" not "If"
also third choice, I think "would always be" is a better wording than "would be always"
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 00:22
souvik101990, as far as I understand, we can use "if simple past ... then simple past" if the second part states a fact. Example:
"If Sam played with his toy, it was his remote controlled airplane." In this case when there is uncertainty we should use would+verb.

Why can't we use simple past here? The second part of the sentence looks like a fact.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 02:50
manlog wrote:
souvik101990, as far as I understand, we can use "if simple past ... then simple past" if the second part states a fact. Example:
"If Sam played with his toy, it was his remote controlled airplane." In this case when there is uncertainty we should use would+verb.

Why can't we use simple past here? The second part of the sentence looks like a fact.

egmat plz help, i too have same doubt
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 05:28
manlog wrote:

sharma123 wrote:
egmat plz help, i too have same doubt

The IF ....THEN.... construction here is not a general rule (what you referred to as "fact"), but an event that would (or would not) occur in future with respect to the verb "realize". Even if it were a general rule, the contruction would be IF simple present THEN simple present ( even though the rule is stated in the past).

Here "realised" (verb A) is simple past, and the verb "to be" (verb B) is in future with respect to verb A. Thus "would", which is the past form of future "will" is required.

I said that I went there.... wrong
I said that I would go there... right ( I intend to convey that the verb "would go" would occur in the future of the verb "said")
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 12:44
May I ask, is there a reason for the "I" in "if" in the Choice C to be capitalized? :roll:
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 18:59
cyy12345 wrote:
May I ask, is there a reason for the "I" in "if" in the Choice C to be capitalized? :roll:

It is a typographical error - corrected in the question database.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 11:02
hi,
can anyone explain me the difference for 'would be always' and 'would always be'.
Re: V08-18   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2018, 11:02

V08-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap