It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18042 [1], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:18) correct 50% (01:20) wrong based on 109 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers propose that creativity is no longer limited by intelligence above a specific IQ level. Some studies show moderate correlations between intelligence and creativity in preschool children with IQ below 120 and a lower correlation in children with IQ above 120. Some other studies (using the WISC-R) found no significant correlations between intelligence and creativity with the exception of a positive relationship within the 131–145 IQ group. Using a different intelligence test (CAT), the correlations between CAT scores and creativity remained insignificant for most groups but were lower than those obtained with the WISC.
What roles do the boldfaced statements play?

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against a judgement presented by the argument; the second is a further support for that objection.
B. The first is an objection that has been raised against a judgement that the argument calls into question; the second is a support for that judgement.
C. The first is a result presented as a support for the position that the argument calls into question; the second is a result presented to weaken another result that opposes that position.
D. The first is a result presented to support the position that the argument calls into question; the second is a result presented to support another result that opposes that position.
E. The first is a result presented to weaken the position that the argument calls into question; the second is a result presented to support another result that opposes that position.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18042 [1], given: 1990

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18042 [0], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 09:16
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

Researchers propose that creativity is no longer limited by intelligence above a specific IQ level. Some studies show [b]moderate correlations between intelligence and creativity in preschool children with IQ below 120 and a lower correlation in children with IQ above 120. Some other studies (using the WISC-R) found no significant correlations between intelligence and creativity with the exception of a positive relationship within the 131–145 IQ group. Using a different intelligence test (CAT), the correlations between CAT scores and creativity remained insignificant for most groups but were lower than those obtained with the WISC.
What roles do the boldfaced statements play?
[/b]

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against a judgement presented by the argument; the second is a further support for that objection.
B. The first is an objection that has been raised against a judgement that the argument calls into question; the second is a support for that judgement.
C. The first is a result presented as a support for the position that the argument calls into question; the second is a result presented to weaken another result that opposes that position.
D. The first is a result presented to support the position that the argument calls into question; the second is a result presented to support another result that opposes that position.
E. The first is a result presented to weaken the position that the argument calls into question; the second is a result presented to support another result that opposes that position.

The position that the argument calls into question: a specification that creativity is no longer limited by intelligence at or above a specific level of IQ – That is, a moderate level of intelligence (IQ) is necessary to be creative, at higher IQ levels intelligence and creativity diverges and are not correlated.

Result 1 (first boldfaced part): found moderate correlations between intelligence and creative potential …… in children with IQ above 120 – Supports the above position (lower correlation above IQ120.)

Result 2: found no significant correlations between intelligence (using the WISC-R) and divergent thinking ……… within the 131–145 IQ group – Opposes the above position (low correlation among all IQ ranges, a positive relationship within the 131–145 IQ group.)

Result 3 (second boldfaced part): the correlations between CAT scores ……..lower than those obtained with the WISC. – Further supports result 2 - that is, further weakens the above position (even lower correlation among all IQ ranges than that found in result 2.)

A. The first boldfaced part (result 1) does not object to the position (judgement), rather it supports. The second boldfaced part does not support result 1, rather it opposes.

B. The first boldfaced part (result 1) does not object to the position (judgement), rather it supports. The second boldfaced part does not support the position (judgement), rather it opposes.

C. The second boldfaced part does not weaken, but strengthens another result (result 2) that opposes the position.

D. Correct. Fixes all errors. Result 1 supports the position and result 3 supports result 2 that opposes the position.

E. The first boldfaced part does not weaken, but strengthens the position.

Answer: D

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18042 [0], given: 1990

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Re: V11-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 13:18
Why the 2nd boldfaced part support another result.. It says correlations were lower than those obtained with the WISC..doesn't that mean there is lesser relationship between intelligence and creativity for a certain IQ level..So it seems to support the first boldfaced part's position..

Serenity amidst chaos..

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 51

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 02:51
Why the 2nd boldfaced part support another result.. It says correlations were lower than those obtained with the WISC..doesn't that mean there is lesser relationship between intelligence and creativity for a certain IQ level..So it seems to support the first boldfaced part's position..

- Sachin

-If you like my explanation then please click "Kudos"

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 51

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Schools: Molson '19
GMAT Date: 12-06-2014
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 18:42
i have the same question..Can someone advice ?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 06:06
I have the same question as raised in the above three posts. I understand that result 3 weakens result 2 rather than supporting it.
Overall result 3 supports the researchers proposal and doesn't weaken it.
Accordingly option choice C should be correct.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V11-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
I have the same question as raised in the above three posts. I understand that result 3 weakens result 2 rather than supporting it.
Overall result 3 supports the researchers proposal and doesn't weaken it.
Accordingly option choice C should be correct.

No, Result 3 supports result 2 (not weakens):

A (the position taken): low and moderate IQ: correlation exists. Higher IQ: no correlation.

Result 1 (some studies): moderate correlation for IQ <120, lower correlation for IQ > 120: supports A.
Result 2 ( WISC-R) : no significant correlation for low IQ, positive correlation for higher IQ (131-145): opposes A.
Result 3 (CAT): no significant (even lower) correlation for low IQ ("remained"), nothing mentioned about higher IQ: supports result 2. (does not support result 1)

Result 3 is a support for result 2.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 04:27
same question

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 08:25
kirtidel25 wrote:
same question

Please clarify your question - the previous question has been answered here:
v11-209697.html#p1714076

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 00:30
option D says supports the second statement as per your explanation. However, It does not remove high score 130+ from consideration specifically. Thus should it not mean a lower correlation across all scores, even the 135+ category ( WISC).

If this is true then it weakens the opposing position rather than strengthening it.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

V11-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
algorithmic22 wrote:
option D says supports the second statement as per your explanation. However, It does not remove high score 130+ from consideration specifically. Thus should it not mean a lower correlation across all scores, even the 135+ category ( WISC).

If this is true then it weakens the opposing position rather than strengthening it.

The part "REMAINED insignificant...but were lower" applies to only those groups for which the correlation was insignificant as per WISC test. Nothing has been mentioned about higher IQ in CAT test.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 109

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
V11-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 07:09
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. It would be great if you would specify where, in the argument, has the position of argument been mentioned. As I see it, A Proposal of Researchers is followed by results of 3 Different Studies. There is not even a single word talking about the Tone of Argument. Let alone a statement or something to denote the position that argument supports.

Moreover, OE assumes that IQ level cannot be higher than 145. This may be true. This may not be True. I don't know but OE along with the maker of question assumes that test takers knows that.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 109

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.1
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 10:27
I don't see an argument here.

The first sentence is a statement, and then the next 3 sentences are descriptions 3 different studies. Where exactly is there an argument in this passage?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [2], given: 8

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
This is how I understood this passage.

The "position" is not explicitly stated, but is implied. The 1st line says, "Researchers propose that creativity is no longer limited by intelligence above a specific IQ level". That means it was earlier believed that creativity was limited by high IQ. Meaning -ve correlation at high IQ. . According to me, this is the "Position".

The 1st line on researchers opposes the position, or in other words "calls into question" the position.
The 1st boldface (i.e. result 1.. some studies) says, moderate correlation for IQ < 120, and -ve correlation at IQ > 120. So this supports the position.
Result 2 (WISC-R)says, no significant correlation for IQ < 131. But +ve correlation at IQ 131 - 145. So This opposes the position.
The 2nd boldface (i.e. Result 3... CAT) says, insignificant correlation for most groups, but lower than those from WISC-R. So in a way, it supports Result 2 and hence opposes the position.

Option A and B talks about objections, whereas the fact is that both boldfaces are results. So A and B gets eliminated.

C indicates that:
1st boldface is supporting the position that the is called into question (by the researchers). So this part is TRUE.
2nd boldface is weakening something that opposes the positon. This is not true, because 2nd boldface itself is opposing the position. So, FALSE. Eliminate option C.

D indicates that:
1st boldface is supporting the position that the is called into question (by the researchers). So this part is TRUE.
2nd boldface is opposing the positon. This is TRUE as well. Option D seems CORRECT.

E indicates that:
2nd boldface is opposing the positon. This is TRUE.
1st boldface is weakening the position that the is called into question (by the researchers). So this is FALSE. It is not weakening it, rather it is supporting it. So Eliminate option E.

So Option D is correct!! Someone asked how is 2nd boldface supporting another result that is opposing the position? Well, the 2nd boldface (CAT result) is actually supporting the WISC-R results.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if anyone thinks otherwise!!

Kudos [?]: 0 [2], given: 8

Re: V11-11   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2017, 12:29

V11-11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap