GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

V32-06

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V32-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 01:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:21) correct 34% (01:00) wrong based on 29 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

George Eastman, founder of the Eastman Kodak Company, whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, with easy pronunciation, and not linked to anything.

A. whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, with easy pronunciation, and not linked to anything
B. which made the first camera that made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, with easy pronunciation, and not linked to anything
C. whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, easy to pronounce, and not linked to anything
D. whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, was easy to pronounce, and not linked to anything
E. which made the first camera that made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, easy to pronounce, and was not linked to anything

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V32-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 01:36
Official Solution:

George Eastman, founder of the Eastman Kodak Company, whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, with easy pronunciation, and not linked to anything.

A. whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, with easy pronunciation, and not linked to anything
B. which made the first camera that made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, with easy pronunciation, and not linked to anything
C. whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, easy to pronounce, and not linked to anything
D. whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, was easy to pronounce, and not linked to anything
E. which made the first camera that made photography accessible to the average person, wanted a company name that was short, easy to pronounce, and was not linked to anything

Let's review our answer options. The answers are split on how the dependent clause should be worded-should the sentence use whose or which? The answer choices are also divided around different ways of wording the three characteristics of the company name.

Let's start with the whose/which issue. "Which" is a relative pronoun used to create non-essential relative clauses, and it used with entities and objects. Relative clauses should almost always "touch" the item they are modifying. "Which made the first camera that made photography accessible to the average person" is correctly modifying the Eastman Kodak Company. However, it is a wordy, awkward clause. "Which made the first camera that made photography" does not practice concision. Is there a better option? At first glance, "whose" might seem wrong because we know "whose" comes from "who," which is used only with people. However, "whose" is the only relative possessive pronoun in English, so it can be used with people, animals, groups, entities, and inanimate objects. "Whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person" is modifying the Eastman Kodak Company, which is a correct usage. This clause is much more concise than the "which" clause while still providing the same information. Options B and E cannot be the best answers.

To make our sentence a little easier to read, let's temporarily remove the non-essential clauses: "founder of the Eastman Kodak Company" and "whose first camera made photography accessible to the average person."

Now, our sentence reads "George Eastman wanted a company name that was short, with easy pronunciation, and not linked to anything."

The three characteristics of the company name are listed in a series, so parallel structure will be important. Each item in the series should be able to stand alone. Let's look at the three items used in Option A. They are "short," "with easy pronunciation," and "not linked to anything."

George Eastman wanted a company name that was short. (This makes sense.)

George Eastman wanted a company name that was with easy pronunciation. (This does not make sense.) George Eastman wanted a company name that was not linked to anything. (This makes sense.)

The item "with easy pronunciation" is not parallel with the other two items in the series because it cannot be combined with the verb "was". Any option that uses this wording cannot be correct. Options A and B are not the best answers.

All the items in the series need to work with the verb "was." The rest of the answer choices use "easy to pronounce." George Eastman wanted a company name that was easy to pronounce. That makes sense. Since the verb "was" works with each item in the series, it only needs to be used once before the first item. However, it is not wrong (just less concise) to use it before every item in the list. If "was" is used more than once in the series, it must be used before every item in the series to maintain parallel structure. Options D and E use "was" before two items in the series, but not all three. This is not correct parallel structure, so these two choices cannot be the best answer.

We have successfully eliminated four answer choices. Option C is the best answer.

Answer: C

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Re: V32-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 00:38
Hello,

I have two questions:

1. If 'short, easy to pronounce and not linked to anything' is a parallel list, why has a comma been inserted before 'and'?
2. Doesn't the use of comma+and make the last bit 'not linked to anything' an independent clause, thus warranting the need to repeat 'was' before the phrase?

Thanks a ton for your help!
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: V32-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 11:28
souvik101990 wrote:

Hi Experts,

I am not able to get the hold of this question. to me Option D looks perfectly fine, and I dont find just consicion as a reason to neglect option E. which seems better than whose, as the camera will be of company not of a person.
Please help me with this Question.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V32-06 &nbs [#permalink] 05 Dec 2018, 11:28

V32-06

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap