GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 30 Mar 2020, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Feb 2020, 23:26
Dear DmitryFarber AnthonyRitz IanStewart GMATGuruNY AjiteshArun egmat,

Q1. Do you think "whose" can jump over "branches" to modify "monkeys"?
Q2. What's wrong with the tense in choice E.?

Originally posted by varotkorn on 15 Feb 2020, 04:26.
Last edited by varotkorn on 24 Feb 2020, 23:26, edited 2 times in total.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE: Education (Education)
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2020, 10:05
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AnthonyRitz IanStewart GMATGuruNY AjiteshArun,

Q1. Do you think "whose" can jump over "branches" to modify "monkeys"?
Q2. What's wrong with the tense in choice E.?

"Whose" is the possessive relative pronoun for anything. It is not restricted to modifying people (or animals, or whatever). "whose" can absolutely modify "branches" (not logically in this sentence, but grammatically as a general matter). So "whose" certainly cannot jump over "branches" to modify "monkeys." This is one reason why A, B, and E are 100% incorrect.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
Re: Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2020, 23:49
Yeah, we definitely can't jump there. Typically, we only jump over a noun modifier when the whole phrase is referring to one thing: "I brought a bag of food and toys, which I opened for all to see." Since "sleeping on branches" describes what the monkeys are doing, it's not really all one thing in the same way, so we read "whose" as applying to the nearest noun.

As for "have hung," it's fake-out parallelism. Just because we use present perfect in the main core of the sentence, that doesn't mean we need it in our modifier. It implies that the monkeys' arms and legs HAVE HUNG at some time, but not necessarily at the time that people saw the monkeys. Remember that present participles (-ing) are not verbs, but rather time-neutral modifiers. I can say "I saw people leaving the store," "I see people leaving the store," or even "I will see people leaving the store." The -ing form is not an indicator of time; it just makes a modifier, and thus works very well for our purpose here.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HEC '22, EDHEC, ESSEC
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 04:18
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang like socks on a clothesline.

(A) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang
(B) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs were hanging
(C) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(D) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(E) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs have hung

Here "and" triggers parallelism. Do we say Visitors to the park have often saw monkeys or have often seen monkeys? often saw monkeys is clearly wrong.
This eliminates (A), (B), and (C) and leaves us with (D) and (E).
The relative pronoun "whose" should modify monkeys, not branches.
In (E), it seems as if the branches are having their arms and legs hanging like socks, which is absurd.
Thus our answer is (D).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GMATBuddha
Quitters never win, Winners never quit.
GMAT Club Bot
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2020, 04:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics