Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: welcome weekend [#permalink]
JLAR2107 wrote:
kvw547239 wrote:
Any thoughts on bringing partners with you to the welcome weekend?

I will be bringing my GF (hopefully soon to be fiancée). She will be moving to New Haven as well so it just made sense for her to come to Welcome Weekend.

Great, thanks. My BF won't be moving with me the first year, so it's less straightforward. But, he'll be there a lot and likely moving there in year two so I think it would be good for him to come as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
kvw547239 wrote:

Probably depends a bit on the partner :-)

Wife/Husband - definitely (if they are interested and comfortable going, which I hope they would be)

GF/BF - depends on how serious you are. You don't want someone you are not going to stick for long change your influence your decision long term

Same Sex Partner - it is probably fine and almost the same as two buckets above but you don't want the most memorable thing about you being your orientation and people tend to notice/focus on these things, so I would introduce/bring them after you had a chance to establish your reputation and feel comfortable in the group.

Ultimately the choice is yours if you are not married. The choice is theirs if you are :-D

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Back when I attended, my GF joined me in traveling from Europe as it made us more comfortable diving into a long-distance relationship. She had a great time and spent some time with a diverse group of partners, ranging from GF/BF to same sex partners to present-day and future wives and husbands. So fully agree with all of the below, except for saying that the "Same Sex Partner" section remark is true for all categories - noone gets singled out for who they bring.

bb wrote:
kvw547239 wrote:

Probably depends a bit on the partner :-)

Wife/Husband - definitely (if they are interested and comfortable going, which I hope they would be)

GF/BF - depends on how serious you are. You don't want someone you are not going to stick for long change your influence your decision long term

Same Sex Partner - it is probably fine and almost the same as two buckets above but you don't want the most memorable thing about you being your orientation and people tend to notice/focus on these things, so I would introduce/bring them after you had a chance to establish your reputation and feel comfortable in the group.

Ultimately the choice is yours if you are not married. The choice is theirs if you are :-D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bring whoever you want of importance to you and your bschool decision. You want them to feel comfortable too if they're going to hang around you and your new friends for the next 2 years. They'll have a chance to meet other partners too (husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, super good friends, everyone's welcome).

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q42 V47
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Off topic, but is the Partners Club open to people living outside New Haven? My gf will be living in NYC and has expressed interest since she will be around plenty of weekends.

I can't imagine the rules are hard and fast for the social aspect of the club, but just wondering if anyone has perspective on that.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
blackcoffee2016 wrote:
Off topic, but is the Partners Club open to people living outside New Haven? My gf will be living in NYC and has expressed interest since she will be around plenty of weekends.

I can't imagine the rules are hard and fast for the social aspect of the club, but just wondering if anyone has perspective on that.

Great question. The partners club is open to all partners (married, not married, kinda sorta a thing) -- as long as you consider the person your partner, everyone's welcome. This is regardless of sex, gender, orientation, age, location, etc, etc.

@blackcoffee - Your gf will be in great company. There are a lot of partners in the general DC to Boston region due to proximity so they'll have chances to come to campus ANd they'll also hang out together without you all who have to be in school! When I was at SOM the partners in Boston and NYC were super active and they'd all hang out and make us jealous haha

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q42 V47
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
aerien wrote:

blackcoffee - Your gf will be in great company. There are a lot of partners in the general DC to Boston region due to proximity so they'll have chances to come to campus ANd they'll also hang out together without you all who have to be in school! When I was at SOM the partners in Boston and NYC were super active and they'd all hang out and make us jealous haha

Great to know - thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Yale Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Yale Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Yale Forum for all fresh things related to the Yale MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts