Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:05 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What should I do?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.16
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72901 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: What questions should I practice in a reattempt at GMAT? [#permalink]
bb wrote:

Well I’m sure many people will disagree with me and we’ll find some crazy examples from hell, but the source of questions is not usually the biggest determinant of your final score. Heck, everyone uses official guide, and everyone scores 540. That’s the average score 😬

Posted from my mobile device

I know GMATNinja would disagree with you. I'm actually following his advice - he said that no other questions come close to anywhere near OG. So I am prioritizing OG.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
If you've run out of Official-Guide questions, consider checking out the Online only question banks. For specific suggestions, it might be helpful to add in your original post if it was a drop in a particular section that mainly resulted in the 700 going to 630.

How to score high on the GMAT. Why solving approach is important.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Hi CluelessLearner,
The second option seems good to me. You might also try the official CAT one and two question banks in which you can have around 700 new problems.
Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sjuniv32 wrote:
Hi CluelessLearner,
The second option seems good to me. You might also try the official CAT one and two question banks in which you can have around 700 new problems.
Good Luck!

Thanks I'll try the official question banks too!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72901 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would say that I see a number of people overdoing a number of questions they solve. You can probably blame GMAT Club for that but that’s something that’s very individualistic. You get faster and better by recognizing patterns and different people take a different amount of time to recognize them. Some have a brain that grasp them very quickly and others may need quite a bit longer to actually get a sense of a pattern. We’re all different and it’s totally acceptable to take longer or should be fairly quick.

No, once you have a mastery of a topic, your job is to maintain and not to lose the gains do you have secured. Protect your score in other words. That means you review your mistakes and review key points that you took notes for. You just going through your notes to keep it fresh and keep working on new topics. The whole success thing assumes that you will prepare for about three months. What I would say the number of questions you solve should be calculated based on how much time you have left after you cover all the material, review notes or mistakes on a daily or weekly basis. Questions actually eat up quite a bit of time. 10 questions don’t take 20 minutes. 10 questions take probably five or 10 minutes to choose or find. They take 20 minutes to take, another 10 to 20 minutes review your results and that’s pushing it close to an hour. If you do 1000 questions, that means you’ll end up spending 50 hours of time. Some people prepare for about 120 hours on average. So you basically use about 30% of your time on questions, 50% probably on material and 20% on CATs.

Now, if you decide to solve 2000 questions you are either going to steal time from studying or you going to drag this whole thing out by about 30% longer than you need to. And the longer you drag it out, the more review and other activities you need to continue performing because otherwise you’ll start losing the knowledge you’ve acquired and performance will degrade. GMAT is like filling a bucket with water that’s constantly leaking. The longer you take to fill it the more water you lose and the more it leaks. You have to keep refilling it regularly. It’s a constant struggle and a constant battle against time. You can do all the questions you want in the world but at some point you’ll have so much baggage to carry that you’ll have to do so much review each day that you only will have 30 minutes left.

Hope this makes some sense :-)

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
I would say that I see a number of ........... day that you only will have 30 minutes left.

Hope this makes some sense :-)

That's quite insightful bb! I too would like to do the minimum possible questions to get the maximum possible results but it's very difficult to determine what amount of questions will achieve the target score for me. That is why I created this thread for some external advice. Due to time constraints - with the R1 fast approaching I am thinking of revisiting my bookmarked mistakes and LSAT questions as a minimum.
GMAT Club Bot