Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 04:13 It is currently 13 May 2024, 04:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1311 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1806 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Re: When should i start mocks? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
12921 wrote:
I'm going to purchase Official Mocks and Manhattan Mocks.

Till now i have covered 80% quant syllabus and 20% of Verbal Syllabus. Just started solving OG. I'm going to give gmat in 4 months.
When should i start solving mocks?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi 12921

The most important thing in case of GMAT prep is to understand the objective of the exam. GMAT is a test of your inferential skills and your application skills. As such, that is where your focus must be. What you need is a structured study plan that gives you clear guidance on what to study and how to study it. I recommend doing this in 4 phases -

1. Planning - This is where you set your target score, your study plan, your timeline, the colleges you are targeting, the day you plan to take the actual exam. Keep in mind that it generally takes around 3 months to prepare well.

2. Learning - Start learning the concepts, then move to application of concepts. This is a key step, often missing in most students' preparation and leads to them being stuck in the low 600's score range. So you must make sure to avoid this and learn the correct methodologies of solving each question type. Finally, once you're done with that, move on to practicing questions. Solve them and go through the solutions step-by-step to maximize your learning.

3. Review - Assess your performance through sectional tests to find out your weak areas and improve on them. I'd also recommend maintaining an error log to see the mistakes you're making.

4. Mocks - Once you've done all this, you can take full mocks and see your performance.

Coming to OG, it may be a great source for solving GMAT like questions, however, it is definitely not the ideal way to prepare in your case. Moreover, you may find that the OG is a good option as a question bank but lacks detailed explanations for you to use for improvement. It’s always better to prepare with a definitive resource to help you learn concepts while formulating a consistent strategy to solve questions before practicing them from the OG. This way, your preparation will be a lot more structured, and the chances of you leaving gaps in your learning will be significantly less. Focus on improving the method you follow to solve questions because that's what stops people from scoring 700+.

Feel free to reach out in case you need any help around your prep strategy.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22203 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi 12921,

Once you complete the "learning phase" of your prep, give yourself around 5 to 6 weeks to complete the 6 official GMAC practice exams. For some more advice, here is a great article you can check out:

Taking GMAT Practice Tests
GMAT Club Bot