GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 14:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When shown boards for just a few seconds from previous chess games

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.26
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
When shown boards for just a few seconds from previous chess games  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 10:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:45) correct 49% (01:48) wrong based on 597 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When shown boards for just a few seconds from previous chess games, grandmaster chess players display an impressive ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board, but when shown a board with randomly placed pieces, the average person performs just as well as grandmasters at this task.

A. for just a few seconds from previous chess games, grandmaster chess players display an impressive ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board, but when shown a board with randomly placed pieces, the average person performs just as well as grandmasters at this task

B. for just a few seconds from previous chess games, grandmaster chess players display an impressive ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board, but when shown a board with randomly placed pieces, grandmasters perform just as well as the average person does at this task

C. from previous chess games for just a few seconds, grandmaster chess players display an ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board that is impressive, but when shown a board with randomly placed pieces, average people perform just as well as grandmasters do at this task

D. from previous chess games for just a few seconds, grandmaster chess players display an impressive ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board, but when they are shown boards with randomly placed pieces, grandmasters perform no better at this task than the average person

E. from previous chess games for just a few seconds, grandmaster chess players display an ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board that is impressive, but when they are shown boards with randomly placed pieces, grandmasters perform just as well at this task as does the average person
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.69
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: When shown boards for just a few seconds from previous chess games  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 10:15
Max.MayankG wrote:
When shown boards for just a few seconds from previous chess games, grandmaster chess players display an impressive ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board, but when shown a board with randomly placed pieces, the average person performs just as well as grandmasters at this task.

A. for just a few seconds from previous chess games, grandmaster chess players display an impressive ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board, but when shown a board with randomly placed pieces, the average person performs just as well as grandmasters at this task

B. for just a few seconds from previous chess games, grandmaster chess players display an impressive ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board, but when shown a board with randomly placed pieces, grandmasters perform just as well as the average person does at this task

C. from previous chess games for just a few seconds, grandmaster chess players display an ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board that is impressive, but when shown a board with randomly placed pieces, average people perform just as well as grandmasters do at this task

D. from previous chess games for just a few seconds, grandmaster chess players display an impressive ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board, but when they are shown boards with randomly placed pieces, grandmasters perform no better at this task than the average person

E. from previous chess games for just a few seconds, grandmaster chess players display an ability to recall the exact position of all of the pieces on the board that is impressive, but when they are shown boards with randomly placed pieces, grandmasters perform just as well at this task as does the average person

Presence of "BUT", that is a coordinating conjunction, check for parallelism errors.
The best suited answer choice is D.

Hit Kudos if you like.

Open to Discussion

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: When shown boards for just a few seconds from previous chess games  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 11:12
Top Contributor
1. In D, the comparison is between how Grandmasters perform Vis-a-Vis how the average person performs. Don't we require another verb, preferably a synonym such as 'does' after the average person?

2. in the same choice, isn't the expansion 'when they were shown' wordy compared to ''when shown?'
Probably are they trivial?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 04:39
B changes the intended meaning. When we compare an expert player with an average player, what language would one use(in the given situation).... the one in B or that in D ?? Obviously D.

Moreover, even without "does", the meaning is clear. "Grandmasters perform no better than the average person..."..I don't think it is wrong.

Thus, I would go with D.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 07:57
Max.MayankG wrote:

I think the reason for D to be correct is the meaning.

The emphasis has to be on the Grand-masters. The meaning should be when the Grand-masters are shown randomly placed pieces they are no better than the average person at this task.

But A is totally different at the end.

B is not good at all as it suggest that the average people perform much better otherwise.

C is incorrect as it places impressive in wrong position.

D correct

E repeats the error of C

Can any expert validate my reasoning

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
When shown boards for just a few seconds from previous chess games  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 23:02
WOuld somebody pls clarify me out here ,

1. In option D what "They" refers to ? There are nouns such as "games" , "pieces" & "players". So doesn't usage of they out here create an ambiguity.

2. Also from parallelism prospective, B do maintain it better where phrase is followed by both instances of "When". In option B both of them are phrase modifier modifying "grandmasters", whereas in option D, it do have clause modifier in underlined part of sentence. SO doesn't option B sound more consistent from parallelism prospective.

3. Again as Daagh sir mentioned earlier in option D it looks to have "do" is missing, because we are performing verb comparison out here, so there should be do at the end.

Pls suggest !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 08:48
Can anyone tell what is wrong with choice A?

Posted from my mobile device

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 11:36
The split here is,

When boards shown from previous chess games for just few seconds... sounds right. Boards modify previous chess games with no intruder of "just few seconds" in between as mentioned in Choice A & B
Among options C,D,E , C & E with " that is impressive" is wordy. Leaves D as right choice.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 20:50
When shown boards.....but...when shown board

Not parallel

A) and B) out

board that is impressive...

C) and E) out

Ans : D

Posted from my mobile device

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 15:00
gmatexam439 , MartyMurray

I believe B is wrong because of misplaced "for just a few seconds".

However in option "D", do we require "they"?? I am all confused now with the POE
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 17:49
Prateek176 wrote:
I believe B is wrong because of misplaced "for just a few seconds".

However in option "D", do we require "they"?? I am all confused now with the POE

"they" in D is fine. The sentence works with or without "they" in that spot. With "they" you get "when they are shown ...," a subordinate clause. Without "they" you get an adverb phrase, "when shown boards." Either structure works.

Perhaps the sentence would be better without "they," but there isn't really any ambiguity to the connection between "they" and its referent, "grandmasters," as chess pieces would not be "shown boards."

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 22:14
What is the standard to omit words in the second part of a comparison? In Manhattan GMAT, it says that as long as there is no ambiguity, words can be omitted, but I'm not completely sure what the standard for ambiguity is here.. In some questions it is required to include words such as does and I am aware of when it is required but it's difficult when choosing whether words can be omitted or not.

Please help GMATNinja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 17:23
hongg7 wrote:
What is the standard to omit words in the second part of a comparison? In Manhattan GMAT, it says that as long as there is no ambiguity, words can be omitted, but I'm not completely sure what the standard for ambiguity is here.. In some questions it is required to include words such as does and I am aware of when it is required but it's difficult when choosing whether words can be omitted or not.

Please help GMATNinja

Good question! And it's difficult to come up with a super-clean rule for it.

Check out this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-most- ... l#p2117367. It's on a different thread, but it should give you a sense of how to think about omitted words in comparisons. And we also did two videos on comparisons last year -- part 1 is here, part 2 is here.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 18:05
Max.MayankG wrote:

I feel between B & D, there is a subtle meaning difference.

In B, its written as "just as well as" and in D its written as "no better". "no better" conveys better meaning when comparing the ability of Grandmasters & average person.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 20:53
GMATNinja wrote:
hongg7 wrote:

Please help GMATNinja

Good question! And it's difficult to come up with a super-clean rule for it.

Check out this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-most- ... l#p2117367. It's on a different thread, but it should give you a sense of how to think about omitted words in comparisons. And we also did two videos on comparisons last year -- part 1 is here, part 2 is here.

I hope this helps!

Thank you!! I will definitely have a look. :)
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 16:25
Max.MayankG wrote:

Official Solution (Credit: Manhattan Prep)

(1) Take a First Glance (5 seconds)

The for just a few seconds vs. from previous board games split indicates that this question is testing Modifiers.

(2) Read for Meaning

The sentence discusses two contrasting facts: (1) grandmasters can expertly recall layouts of previous chess games and (2) grandmasters are only average at remembering a board with randomly placed pieces. The modifier for just a few seconds describes how long the grandmasters are shown boards, but not just any boards. It is essential to specify that the boards are from previous games, so this modifier should come first. The modifier for just a few seconds cannot describe the entire boards … from previous games if placed in the middle of that whole phrase. In addition, the structure when shown boards … , grandmaster chess players display … , but when shown a board … , the average person performs … creates a contrast that is not Parallel. The subject of the second part should also be grandmasters. Eliminate answer choice (A) and any other choices that make any of these mistakes.

(3) Find a Starting Point

Start with any difference that seems easiest to you, then move to the next easiest issue, and so on. Stop when you have one answer or you aren’t sure how to address the remaining differences. All errors for each choice are detailed in the next section.

(4) Eliminate (and Repeat)

(A) The modifier for just a few seconds describes how long the grandmasters are shown boards … from previous games, so it ought to be placed after from previous games rather than in the middle of the phrase it is describing. In addition, the structure when shown boards … , grandmaster chess players display … , but when shown a board … , the average person performs … creates a contrast that is not parallel. The subject of the second part should also be grandmasters.

(B) The modifier for just a few seconds describes how long the grandmasters are shown boards … from previous games, so it ought to be placed after from previous games rather than in the middle of the phrase it is describing.

(C) The modifier that is impressive should be placed closer to what it is describing: the grandmaster’s ability. As written, it’s unclear whether the ability, the position, or the board is impressive. In addition, the structure when shown boards … , grandmaster chess players display … , but when shown a board … , average people perform … creates a contrast that is not parallel. The subject of the second part should also be grandmasters.

(D) CORRECT. The modifier for just a few seconds is properly placed to describe boards from previous chess games. The structure when shown boards … , grandmaster chess players display … , but when they are shown boards … , grandmasters perform is parallel and clearly conveys the meaning of the intended contrast.

(E) The modifier that is impressive should be placed closer to what it is describing: the grandmaster’s ability. As written, it’s unclear whether the ability, the position, or the board is impressive.

Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

Re: When shown boards for just a few seconds from previous chess games &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 16:25

When shown boards for just a few seconds from previous chess games

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap