GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Feb 2020, 17:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Which school to apply to?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
P
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Which school to apply to?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 02:04
Hello everyone ,
I have taken the GMAT and I am quite unsure of which schools to apply to , I am targeting R1 this september- october. I know this sounds vague but I would like to know where to start from before narrowing down the apt schools for myself. I know that individual preferences vary and it all depends on what you want to become and how you want an MBA to help you be the person you envision be. I have got mixed responses from various people as to where to apply and not . So I am very confused and writing this down so that I get a larger picture of how to narrow down schools and start building a profile towards specific schools

Areas of Interest - Marketing / Finance

Regards,
HK
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Which school to apply to?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 19:35
Hi Hatakekakashi,

To start - you stated that you've taken the GMAT, so how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Current Student
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 00:52
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hatakekakashi,

To start - you stated that you've taken the GMAT, so how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

Rich

Hello Rich ,
My GMAT score is as follows - 710 ( Qa 49 Va 36 IR- 7/8 Awa 6/6) . I am thinking of a retake as well so i could touch 720 or more as I represent a demography of a very high Gmat scores (viz India) and my academics are very poor

As far as the questions posted

1) I do not have a specific company to work for. My areas of interest are marketing and Finance, consulting would do as well. Of course every aspirant desires to be in the best of the best companies. Rather than working for a company would love to have company of my own down the line

2) I want my MBA to provide the knowledge n specific skills to run a business. It comes with experience i am sure but an MBA adds value and can make one think better in terms of the business. I would like to start a company of my own. My father has his own business and i want to diversify its services . A marketing related mba would help me to make my company more reachable to cater to the needs of clients. At this stage my answer isn't clear and might be vague but i still haven't put a thought to it . Mostly like i wish MBA helps me better to run a business

3) I would want to do an MBA full time (2/1 year is fine) . I turned 25 last week so at the moment thinking i could use 2 years for an MBA unless a one year MBA suits me more

4) Yes i am willing to relocate and in-campus MBA not an online course

5) I would love to apply for scholarships

Targeting R1 in september so i want to be ready by that time with solid applications for 5 schools. I do not want to apply to a school just because it is valued a lot. For ex- ISB which is a well known school is 10 minutes from my place , but i want to know wether it will help me or not in shaping my career in a better way.

Regards
HK

Work experience - 42 months ( as on date ) - aug 2013 till today current role - business development executive
10th - 75% (74.42)
12- 87%
Under Grad - 69% (68.51)

PS- excuse typos
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 16:35
Hi Hatakekakashi,

First off, a 710/Q49 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. Since you have some idea of what you're looking for in an MBA, you can start to research Schools that match your interests. You might also want to reach out to Schools directly to ask questions, meet Alums, etc. That access to extra information and perspective should help you to ultimately choose which Schools to apply to. Once you have your list of Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Current Student
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2017, 15:13
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hatakekakashi,

First off, a 710/Q49 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. Since you have some idea of what you're looking for in an MBA, you can start to research Schools that match your interests. You might also want to reach out to Schools directly to ask questions, meet Alums, etc. That access to extra information and perspective should help you to ultimately choose which Schools to apply to. Once you have your list of Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

Rich

Hi Rich ,

Thanks! Much needed

Regards,
HK
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Which school to apply to?   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2017, 15:13

Which school to apply to?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi