Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [12]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 2.93
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: While market-driven competition encourages pharmaceutical companies to [#permalink]
I will go with B, Right Idiom is as much as so rules out C,d and E

Out of A and B as much X as Y both needs to be parallel . SO I ll go with B
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: While market-driven competition encourages pharmaceutical companies to [#permalink]
I think A is much concise and better.

Lets see:
We have three times as many apples as you (have)

here verb is in ellipse.

A) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research (concise)

Lets look at the scope of ambiguity in above construction.

marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as marketing accounts for research (does it make sense) No.

marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research

marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research accounts or does
B) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as does research (safer)

I would say this question is not a very good question, A and B both are grammatically Ok.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Rotman '17
Send PM
Bookmarks
PiyushK wrote:
I think A is much concise and better.

Lets see:
We have three times as many apples as you (have)

here verb is in ellipse.

A) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research (concise)

Lets look at the scope of ambiguity in above construction.

marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as marketing accounts for research (does it make sense) No.

marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research

marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research accounts or does
B) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as does research (safer)

I would say this question is not a very good question, A and B both are grammatically Ok.

I would go for B, because 'accounts' is an action performed in the 1st part of the sentence that is reflected as 'does' in the next part of the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-20-2015
Send PM
I think it's B) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as does research , because the use of AS here is a comparison so you need a clause after AS to compare the budget of the industry with the budget of research...

Does someone knows the right answer?
Thanks!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Bookmarks
While market-driven competition encourages pharmaceutical companies to actively seek innovative new drugs,
market analysts note that marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research.

A) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research
B) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as does research
C) the industry budget is accounted for twice as much by marketing than research
D) the industry budget is accounted for twice as much by marketing than by research
E) marketing new drugs is twice as expensive compared to research.

This is a clear comparison concept testing SC question.

While competition does X, analysts note Y.
Both X and Y should be in same voice. Since non-underlined portion of sentence is in active voice, whole sentence must follow active voice form.

options C and D are in passive form thereby violating rule of parallelism which is evident in form of words " is accounted " and "by".

both Research and marketing account for the same amount of budget. This is expressed best in option B.

A performs the classic error of comparison. It is not clear whether marketing accounts for budget or research.

E says that marketing new drugs is twice as expensive compared to research.............compared to and as expensive without as are both forms of comparison and thus redundancy is issue here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
First, eliminate C and D for saying twice as much by marketing than; E is out for distorting the original meaning. In addition, the format of 'as x as y' is not found in the choice.
Between A and B, A is wrong for comparing what marketing accounts for with research rather than what research does to match the action of marketing. B prevails.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
when the element compared in in the object phrase of the first clause, ambiguity happens. if we do not add "dose", one misunderstanding is that "research" is object of the second clause

marketing accounts twice as much of budget X as budget Y.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
While market-driven competition encourages pharmaceutical companies to [#permalink]
Dear IanStewart AnthonyRitz,

There is nothing wrong with choice A. because "does" can be omitted or understood here, right?

Thank you sir!
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [2]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos