Last visit was: 15 Jul 2024, 01:49 It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 01:49
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94343
Own Kudos [?]: 640909 [43]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Posts: 4918
Own Kudos [?]: 7800 [8]
Given Kudos: 220
Location: India
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Status: enjoying
Posts: 5264
Own Kudos [?]: 42142 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
Location: India
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
ISB School Moderator
Joined: 23 Nov 2018
Posts: 302
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [2]
Given Kudos: 358
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

(A) cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in
(B) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as
(C) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in
(D) cuts in nonsalary compensation were made in areas like
(E) there were cuts made in nonsalary compensation, in areas like

in our 5 second scan we can notice a split between like vs as therefore there is probably a comparison error

like is wrong as it cannot be used to introduce examples

between A/B and C

A is wrong since we need "such as" to introduce examples

between B and C

As cannot is be used to introduce a noun phrase during comparison

plus we are comparing cuts in allowances therefore C is the correct option
Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 Jan 2019
Posts: 178
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Location: Peru
Send PM
While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
2
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Edited, new insight about this one

Originally posted by Mizar18 on 30 Oct 2019, 12:17.
Last edited by Mizar18 on 16 Aug 2020, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 29 May 2019
Posts: 64
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
Can you please explain why option B is correct and C is incorrect?
Retired Moderator
Joined: 10 Nov 2018
Posts: 536
Own Kudos [?]: 469 [2]
Given Kudos: 229
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
I too narrowed down to B & C. I chose B over C, as the " allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships" can be included in "nonsalary compentation".
Secondly, C states that cuts were made in both "nonsalary compentation" and "allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships".

But I am still confused on the construction, as both options looks fine but have different meaning.
CEO
CEO
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 3719
Own Kudos [?]: 3539 [3]
Given Kudos: 151
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
2
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rocky620 wrote:
I too narrowed down to B & C. I chose B over C, as the " allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships" can be included in "nonsalary compentation".
Secondly, C states that cuts were made in both "nonsalary compentation" and "allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships".

But I am still confused on the construction, as both options looks fine but have different meaning.

Actually the presence of such as in both B and C suggests that allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships are examples of nonsalary compensation.

However, those is just redundant/wrong in C.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

(A) cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in
(B) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as
(C) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in
(D) cuts in nonsalary compensation were made in areas like
(E) there were cuts made in nonsalary compensation, in areas like


Could someone explain why the answer is B?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 01 Dec 2018
Posts: 146
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
anchalnarula1995 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

(A) cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in
(B) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as
(C) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in
(D) cuts in nonsalary compensation were made in areas like
(E) there were cuts made in nonsalary compensation, in areas like


Could someone explain why the answer is B?


I too narrowed down to B & C. I chose B over C, as the " allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships" can be included in "nonsalary compentation".
Secondly, C states that cuts were made in both "nonsalary compentation" and "allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships".
Thirdly , C is wrong it should have said ...cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as cuts (those) in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships WERE MADE.
or cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as cuts (those)WERE MADE in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships .
.But C dosen't convey properly and completely hence C is wrong .

OPT B =
cuts were made in
nonsalary compensation
such as allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 15 Apr 2018
Posts: 64
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 382
Location: India
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
Akurian wrote:
Option A is out for lack of clarity. It should be – cuts were made in. Eliminate

We can hold on to B and C right now. They look somewhat alike, so we can keep this for later.

Eliminate D and E for the wrong use of like.

Option C can be eliminated now for the use of those in. The intent here is that cuts were made to a category called nonsalary compensation such as allowances (for two things) – overseas assignments and club memberships.

Option B is the right answer – right use of preposition in and such as.

Hope this helps!



How can you think "such" is present in the sentence when in correct option it is not present?
CEO
CEO
Joined: 07 Mar 2019
Posts: 2617
Own Kudos [?]: 1866 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
Location: India
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
gaurav2m wrote:
Akurian wrote:
Option A is out for lack of clarity. It should be – cuts were made in. Eliminate

We can hold on to B and C right now. They look somewhat alike, so we can keep this for later.

Eliminate D and E for the wrong use of like.

Option C can be eliminated now for the use of those in. The intent here is that cuts were made to a category called nonsalary compensation such as allowances (for two things) – overseas assignments and club memberships.

Option B is the right answer – right use of preposition in and such as.

Hope this helps!



How can you think "such" is present in the sentence when in correct option it is not present?


Quote:
Bunuel wrote:
While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

(A) cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in
(B) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as
(C) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in
(D) cuts in nonsalary compensation were made in areas like
(E) there were cuts made in nonsalary compensation, in areas like


Option B: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.
Option C: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

But writing B as
'While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made in nonsalary compensation such as allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.'

looks better than
writing C as
'While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made in nonsalary compensation such as those in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.'

'allowances for overseas assignments' and 'club memberships' are examples of 'nonsalary compensation'.

Is it making sense.!!??
Current Student
Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Location: Japan
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
lnm87 wrote:
gaurav2m wrote:
Akurian wrote:
Option A is out for lack of clarity. It should be – cuts were made in. Eliminate

We can hold on to B and C right now. They look somewhat alike, so we can keep this for later.

Eliminate D and E for the wrong use of like.

Option C can be eliminated now for the use of those in. The intent here is that cuts were made to a category called nonsalary compensation such as allowances (for two things) – overseas assignments and club memberships.

Option B is the right answer – right use of preposition in and such as.

Hope this helps!



How can you think "such" is present in the sentence when in correct option it is not present?


Quote:
Bunuel wrote:
While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

(A) cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in
(B) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as
(C) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in
(D) cuts in nonsalary compensation were made in areas like
(E) there were cuts made in nonsalary compensation, in areas like


Option B: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.
Option C: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

But writing B as
'While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made in nonsalary compensation such as allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.'

looks better than
writing C as
'While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made in nonsalary compensation such as those in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.'

'allowances for overseas assignments' and 'club memberships' are examples of 'nonsalary compensation'.

Is it making sense.!!??


It makes sense for me completely.
Plus, "those" in C cannot refer back to "compensation" because the pronoun is for plural. Given that the "those" refers back to cuts, the clause means that cuts in allowance and club membership are compensation. It is non-sense.
Director
Director
Joined: 28 Sep 2018
Posts: 710
Own Kudos [?]: 571 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
EducationAisle is we see "as in" in (A) is this always incorrect? Or is there any Official choice that uses "as in" correctly?
CEO
CEO
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 3719
Own Kudos [?]: 3539 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
EducationAisle is we see "as in" in (A) is this always incorrect? Or is there any Official choice that uses "as in" correctly?

Don't think we can generalize.

If your question is whether as can never be followed by a preposition, that would not be correct.

For example:

While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
Director
Director
Joined: 28 Sep 2018
Posts: 710
Own Kudos [?]: 571 [1]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
1
Kudos
EducationAisle wrote:
Hoozan wrote:
EducationAisle is we see "as in" in (A) is this always incorrect? Or is there any Official choice that uses "as in" correctly?

Don't think we can generalize.

If your question is whether as can never be followed by a preposition, that would not be correct.

For example:

While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.



Thank you. On that note I found a question that correctly uses "as in" for comparison https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-hungary-a ... ml#p451409
Director
Director
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Status:No dream is too large, no dreamer is too small
Posts: 959
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

(A) cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in
(B) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as
(C) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in
(D) cuts in nonsalary compensation were made in areas like
(E) there were cuts made in nonsalary compensation, in areas like



The sentence gives example so "such as'' is the correct option to use. Like is used for comparison of two nouns. The correct answer is B.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 26 Jun 2018
Posts: 62
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 490 Q25 V32
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not change from 1990 to 1991, cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

(A) cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in
(B) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as
(C) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in
(D) cuts in nonsalary compensation were made in areas like
(E) there were cuts made in nonsalary compensation, in areas like


(A) cuts were made nonsalary compensation, as in
Allowances are a form of compensation, thus it's illogical to say that cuts where made IN the compensations

(B) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as
Such + compensations + as correctly exemplifies the type of non salary compensations + such is always followed by AS when it comes to cite examples of something (even nouns, this is a tricky construction because AS is usually used to compare verbs)

(C) cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as those in
Wrong because those it means that the cut made in nonsalary compensation is the equal and similar to the cuts made in allowances. This is a meaning error, because the meaning here is that cut are made in non salary compensations such as allowances and etc..

(D) cuts in nonsalary compensation were made in areas like
Wrong, cut are not made in areas and what follows are forms of nonsalary compensation
(E) there were cuts made in nonsalary compensation, in areas like
Wrong, cut are not made in areas and what follows are forms of nonsalary compensation
Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Nov 2018
Posts: 6
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
I narrowed in down to B and C.
IN C
cuts were made in such non salary compensation as those(cuts) in
why isnt this right?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Status: GMAT/GRE/LSAT tutors
Posts: 6979
Own Kudos [?]: 64496 [1]
Given Kudos: 1819
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jatin16 wrote:
I narrowed in down to B and C.
IN C
cuts were made in such non salary compensation as those(cuts) in
why isnt this right?

Logic! In (B), the "such as" introduces two examples of non-salary compensation: 1) allowances for overseas assignments and 2) club memberships. Makes sense.

Now look at the relevant portion of (C), with "cuts" substituted in place of "those."

Quote:
Cuts were made in such nonsalary compensation as [the cuts] in allowances for overseas assignments and club memberships.

Now it sounds like "the cuts" are a form of non-salary compensation! That's totally illogical. A cut is the exact opposite of compensation! Because (C) doesn't make sense, we can kill it.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: While the base salary for the top five officers of the company did not [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts