It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 07:26

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While usage on the GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 117

While usage on the GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hello GMATClub,

Upon studying for the GMAT I came across an OG question:

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised
(B) fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raising
(D) lowered fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(E) and fatigue among shift workers was lowered while raising

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA C

This was a simple question which I was able to select the correct answer using a variety of decision points. One decision point that made me hesitate before selecting the answer was, the usage of while on the GMAT.

From my research, I understand that "while" can be used to:
1) Explain some action is occurring at the same time.
I went to the park while my friend went to the mall.

2) Form a contrasting point in a similar manner to that of "although and whereas".
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am curious about the mechanical nuances of using while (especially because there is not much written on it):

1) can you use while describing a list item. For instance:
During my recent tv binge I saw clowns on unicycles, dogs prancing around a stadium, and basketball players dunking while cheerleaders used pompoms.

The structure of the above sentence is, X,Y and (Z while A)

2) If the above is OK, then is a comma needed when using "while" in order to separate the clauses?
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers, while raising production efficiency in various industries.

3) Is it grammatically correct to use while in lists at all?
The world's best multi-tasker boasted he was able to drink a beer while dancing, smoke a cigarette while pumping gas, and take the GMAT exam while taking the LSAT.

4) What would happen if you used while to describe both time and contrast a point?
Recently released medication has reduced nausea while on leisurely walks while raising alertness throughout the day.
or
Recently released medication has reduced nausea while on leisurely walks, while raising alertness throughout the day.

These are just the questions that were stirring through my mind, but if you have any extra knowledge about the usage of while I would greatly appreciate if you shared it.

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 117

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: While usage on the GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 18:02
I think its C because the "raising" of the production level is saying that it happened as a result of the reduction of fatigue, sickness and sleeping on the job.

When an action is happening as a result of an action stated before it, you want the verb to have a "-ing"

Hope that makes sense.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Re: While usage on the GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 08:28
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo

could you please help with the query above ?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.85
While usage on the GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 22:55
The use of the word "while" breaks parallelism.

He did X and Y while Z

He used the items A, B, and C while doing X.

The use of conjunctions require parallelism. While establishes a new phrase that does not need to follow parallelism established in the previous clause. In the original passage, using a conjunction would've required a noun to retain parallelism. Using "while" in this case is establishing something that is happening concurrently but doing so in a way that allows another clause to be established without following the parallelism.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

While usage on the GMAT?   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 22:55

While usage on the GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap