Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [12]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [5]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: With companies spending large parts of their advertising budgets onlin [#permalink]
Kudos
SV error in A,B and D
In C ||ism issue
Hence E ans

Can anyone please explain me the rule or part marked red in the question below .

With companies spending large parts of their advertising budgets online, the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and by individual users, are expanding rapidly.

A. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and by individual users, are expanding

B. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and by individual users, are expanding (Are they parallel to each other ??)

C. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and individual users, is expanding ( What does this comma signifies before "AND" can we remove it what importance does it carry)

D. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, are expanding (Is created verb-ED modifier if yes then it is referring to what)

E. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, is expanding ( expanding is verb-ING modifier and modifying the preceding clause and the subject market but the placement of "expanding" is not after "," why is it so ??)

Request you guys to explain in as much detail as you can because most of the times these small things make me prone to mark wrong choice.

Regards
SG
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [2]
Send PM
Re: With companies spending large parts of their advertising budgets onlin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Can anyone please explain me the rule or part marked red in the question below .

With companies spending large parts of their advertising budgets online, the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and by individual users, are expanding rapidly.

A. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and by individual users, are expanding

B. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and by individual users, are expanding (Are they parallel to each other ??)
the three are supposed to be parallel, but by using 'by ' at two places , we are removing parallelism

C. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and individual users, is expanding ( What does this comma signifies before "AND" can we remove it what importance does it carry)
comma is used before and, when it joins two independent clauses , whereas it is not used when the two clauses are dependent..
eg.. he went to the market, and ram went along with him.....
he fell down and cried...
when we are joining three or more items we generally use comma but the sentence would do without that too...
eg.. by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users..

D. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, are expanding (Is created verb-ED modifier if yes then it is referring to what)..
created by is modifying the market. read the sentence as "created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays .

E. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, is expanding ( expanding is verb-ING modifier and modifying the preceding clause and the subject market but the placement of "expanding" is not after "," why is it so ??)...
expanding here has same role as any verb would have
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks Chetan2u
for your explanation it logically helps me in getting confidence.

Just one more doubt want to clarify

D. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, are expanding (Is created verb-ED modifier if yes then it is referring to what)..
created by is modifying the market. read the sentence as "created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays .

As you have mentioned that created is modifying market then "created" must be placed next to the market isn't it ??
Or am i missing something i think i am please clarify ?

E. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, is expanding ( expanding is verb-ING modifier and modifying the preceding clause and the subject market but the placement of "expanding" is not after "," why is it so ??)...

you mean to say that "expanding" can be placed like this after "is".

Regards
SG
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
E is the best choice.. Market "is" not "are".. writers, bloggers, and users are good and ||al...
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hi,
firstly there are various modifiers.. adverb , adjective ,participle, gerund etc....
what is most important is that the modifier should unambigiously refering back to the subject it is modifying..

As you have mentioned that created is modifying market then "created" must be placed next to the market isn't it ??
Or am i missing something i think i am please clarify ?

if you read the sentence, created refers directly to market..
the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers.... here the underlined portion is just an example of content and if you remove this portion you can see that the market is being directly referred to...

you mean to say that "expanding" can be placed like this after "is".

here by usage of 'is', the clause becomes like an adverbial clause and does not create any dangling modifier.... Also 'is' unambigously refers to singular 'market'..

and an advice, . just be sure that every word correctly refers to the word it is ..
yes where it is most important to check modifiers in GMAT is..
1) partciple clauses, gerund etc.. eg looking at the sky, it was hot.., here I should be used..
2) whenever single word modifier such as only, also,but etc are used.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos

Incorrect. [singular subject], such as ...., [plural verb].
B. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and by individual users, are expanding
C. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and individual users, is expanding
Incorrect. Parallelism problem: created by a X, a Y, and Z (missing determiner, such as some).
D. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, are expanding
E. the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and individual users, is expanding
Correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
A - Market is Singular ---- Hence, will take -- Is expanding, Not "Are Expanding" & list of is mix of Singular and Plural hence it is not parallel
B - Market is Singular ---- Hence, will take -- Is expanding, Not "Are Expanding"
C - Subject verb agreement issue is resolved but list is still not parallel
D - Market is Singular ---- Hence, will take -- Is expanding, Not "Are Expanding"
E - Correct - Subject Verb issue is Fixed and List is now Parallel

Hence, Answer is E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Imo E
The correct idiom for list is by x,y and z or by x, by, y by Z
Note here the subject is market so the verb should be singular
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts