GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Working simultaneously and independently at an identical constant rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Working simultaneously and independently at an identical constant rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 22:08
Hi guys,

It's always tricky for me to answer this kind of question. I tried Bunuel's method, but somehow I found VeritasPrepKarishma 's method easier. I hope what I posted below is correct. :-)
Attachments

Resized.jpg
Resized.jpg [ 77.49 KiB | Viewed 487 times ]

Intern
Intern
Re: Working simultaneously and independently at an identical constant rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 07:32
Hello,

I follow a very simple approach that is shown to us in the Gmat Club Math Book.

Let d = number of days; n = number of machines

So, firstly, we get this expression from what is said in the exercise:

(x/d)*4=(x/6)

But since we know 1 job done is equivalent to x, in this case, we can represent it as the following:

(1/d)*4=(1/6) which gives us d=24 days

Thus: (1/24)*n=(3/4) ,which gives us n=18
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Working simultaneously and independently at an identical constant rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 17:45
Let us pick numbers.

Let x = 240

Rate 240/6 = 40/ day
Total unit to produce 240 * 3= 720
Machines required = 720/40 = 18.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 18:53
4M = x units in 6 days
?M = 3x units in 4 days

*** (R)(T)=W ***

1M = x/4 units in 6 days, so
1M = 3(x/4 units) in 18 days, so
M = 3x units in 72 days, so
72/4 = 36/2 = 18
CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 08:21
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
Working simultaneously and independently at an identical constant rate, 4 machines of a certain type can produce a total of x units of product P in 6 days. How many of these machines, working simultaneously and independently at this constant rate, can produce a total of 3x units of product P in 4 days?

(A) 24
(B) 18
(C) 16
(D) 12
(E) 8

Kudos for a correct solution.

Let's assign a nice value to x (a value that will work well with all of the numbers 3, 4 and 6.

Let's say x = 24

GIVEN: 4 machines make x units in 6 days
This means 4 machines make 24 units in 6 days
So, 4 machines make 4 units in 1 day [if you divide the work time by 6, the output is also divided by 6]
So, 1 machine makes 1 unit in 1 day [if you divide the number of machines by 4, the output is also divided by 4]

From here, we can answer the question How many of these machines, working simultaneously and independently at this constant rate, can produce a total of 3x units of product P in 4 days?
If x = 24, 3x = 72
Our goal is to make 72 units in 4 days.

So, 1 machine makes 4 units in 4 days [if you multiply the work time by 4, the output is also multiplied by 4]
So, 18 machines make 72 units in 4 days [if you multiply the number of machines by 18, the output is also multiplied by 18]

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 2.84
Premium Member CAT Tests
Working simultaneously and independently at an identical constant rate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Sep 2018, 05:38
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Working simultaneously and independently at an identical constant rate, 4 machines of a certain type can produce a total of x units of product P in 6 days. How many of these machines, working simultaneously and independently at this constant rate, can produce a total of 3x units of product P in 4 days?

(A) 24
(B) 18
(C) 16
(D) 12
(E) 8

Using the method discussed in this post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/02 ... variation/

4 machines --- x units --- 6 days
? machines --- 3x units -- 4 days

Machines required = 4 * (3x/x) * (6/4) = 18
Answer (B)

Wonderful article http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/02 ... variation/
you just have to transform your mind to adopt this method as it is fast. The problem with such type of questions is that people tend to enjoy every minute details of the problem. The problem on GMAT is that you don't have time to enjoy all those pleasures of solving a problem. set a pattern and do away with it this is not a test to calibrate a humans ability nor it is there to enjoy problem in Mathematics . you are not a scientist who has to go deep into problen to enjoy and understand it, if you are one then i feel sorry to inform you that you have to dispose of your inquisitive inclination to enjoy math in detail. Beat the GMAT hard and do away with this test forever to enjoy nature and science in excruciating details.

Nice job Karishma.
Qute of the Day.
You are pretty but I am prettier. Have a nice day.

If you like this post, be kind and help me with Kudos!

Cheers!

Originally posted by alitariquet on 08 Sep 2018, 23:43.
Last edited by alitariquet on 12 Sep 2018, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 2.84
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 01:03
VeritasKarishma wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 24
(B) 18
(C) 16
(D) 12
(E) 8

Using the method discussed in this post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/02 ... variation/

4 machines --- x units --- 6 days
? machines --- 3x units -- 4 days

Machines required = 4 * (3x/x) * (6/4) = 18
Answer (B)

Quote:
In the end, you took 6/4 because the machines have fewer days to do more (3x) work, so more machines will be needed and therefore one has to multiply with the value greater than 1, i.e. 6/4 and not 4/6. Is that a correct reasoning?

Forget "work" here - whether it is more or less. Focus on the relation between the unknown and the variable in question only. So focus on machines and days only.

You have fewer days so you will need more machines to complete the work. So you multiply by 6/4, a quantity greater than 1. This will increase the number of machines.

Let me elaborate on it. The human mind is not good at multi-tasking therefore all the science and maths that mind has invented revolves around finding the relation between one or two things at a time once mind has found the relation it moves on to the rest of the things to discover further relation bout one or two at a time.
Now the purpose of stating is to tell that Krisma's approach is quite near to the calculus-based approach. whenever we have to find the relation between two things we make third thing constant ( since humans can't multi task or have not found any tool to do it yet) so in comparing machines and days we keep work constant and in comparing machines and work we keep days constant.

Hope you enjoyed it.
Quote : Beat the GMAT hard and dispose it off forever.

If you like this post, be kind and help me with Kudos!

Cheers!

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 20:56
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 24
(B) 18
(C) 16
(D) 12
(E) 8

4 machines -> X units/6days
So, 1 machine per day makes -> X/24 units per day
to make 3X/4 we need
X/24 * P = 3X/4
P=18
OA B
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Working simultaneously and independently at an identical constant rate &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 20:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Working simultaneously and independently at an identical constant rate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap