GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2019, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Poll: Yale vs. Ross ($10k/year)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Yale SOM or Ross

• 36% [12]
  • 63% [21]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.99
Poll: Yale vs. Ross ($10k/year)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 20:25
Hi All,

I have been admitted to Yale SOM and Michigan Ross ($10k/year scholarship) and waitlisted at Kellogg and want to pick the brilliant minds here on which one might have better recruiting prospects, learning curriculum, and overall experience.

A little bit about me: Currently working in a Big 4 strategy consulting practice in Canada (5 years experience at matriculation).

Post MBA: a number of options I could pursue-
1. Get promoted at my firm and come back as Manager
2. Pursue MBB if I still enjoy Strat consulting by next year
3. Corp strategy role at likes of Google, Microsoft, etc. (Not too keen on Amazon)

Geography preference: if it's MBB my first preference would be Canada otherwise Chicago - I wonder if Yale's location is a disadvantage for this...wouldn't think so. For tech, West Coast.

Yale SOM

Pros:
+ Global brand - I know pure MBA recruiters will probably see Yale and Ross as equal but in the long term will that hold true? In Canada esp?
+ Integrated perspectives- I do like how the core courses are positioned as stakeholders - makes things more interesting as I am a CPA and at any other school would waive the accounting, econ courses.
+ Fit: At interview day, the guest/mock lecture on negotiations was energetic and powerful. I've gotten a good vibe from current students and alumni. They've been extremely helpful.
+ Consulting recruiting

Cons:
- On paper, Yale has a smaller class going into Tech. I am keen on knowing if that's self-selection in that Yale attracts bankers and consultants rather than Techies? I.e. Do I have the same shot at Google at Yale as I would at Ross?
- New Haven: Ann Arbor is closer to Toronto and a nicer city in my opinion, though NY is close to New Haven...
- No experiential learning - A huge fan of learning by doing (loved Kellogg and Ross programs for this but wonder how many courses would that really be...maybe one lab course?)

Michigan Ross

Pros
+ Action-based learning: MAP is a huge draw honestly if something equivalent were at Yale I'd probably not be debating as hard
+ Fit: students seem down to earth here as well. Haven't interacted super closely so can't comment beyond that. Course taught as a mock lecture was very representative of what I'd say a normal class
+ Tech: seems like the place to be for tech recruiting - but does this hold true if I normalize for Amazon?
+ Consulting: I get the sense Yale is stronger in MBB hiring but could be wrong.
+ Location - maybe I'm wrong but Ann Arbor feels like a nicer community. Maybe because it's close tllr to Toronto. Also college football spirit. (I don't watch football but having such a vibrant spirit is awesome)
+ $20k is a nice gesture

Cons
- Brand value in the long term compared to Yale pedigree
- Overall recruiting opportunities
- Consulting: I get the vibe its strong in T2 Big 4 which isn't my target

Kellogg:
Love everything about the program - how much value would you put on it after paying the deposit at Ross/Yale?

Hope this gives everyone a good view into where my head's at. Happy to hear thoughts! As you can tell I'm looking for both short and long term success.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Poll: Yale vs. Ross ($10k/year)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 10:08
Congratulations! Also amazing job typing this up on your phone!

Not sure about brilliant minds here, so hopefully someone with first-hand experience or better mind replies..... Pinging souvik101990 as he has closely studied both of these programs in his journey :-)

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
Current Student
B
GRE 1: Q170 V164
GPA: 3.75
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 10:47
When do you have to make a decision by? Can you just wait out Kellogg?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 10:58
webster7 wrote:
When do you have to make a decision by? Can you just wait out Kellogg?

The way this game is played, the OP will most likely have to make a deposit before the Kellogg waitlist clears.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 11:05
Given the scholarship, I recommend Ross. Furthermore, Ross is higher ranked and better for tech.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 11:33
bb wrote:
Congratulations! Also amazing job typing this up on your phone!

Not sure about brilliant minds here, so hopefully someone with first-hand experience or better mind replies..... Pinging souvik101990 as he has closely studied both of these programs in his journey :-)

Thanks! Do you have any thoughts on these two schools?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 21:22
We may have spoken on the phone re. SOM (guessing based on your username and details), though I don't think we discussed any of your concerns in details, so adding a few thoughts here. That said, I didn't apply to Ross, so can't directly compare the two schools.

Experiential learning - also a huge fan, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the options at SOM to pursue these (admissions could do a better job marketing). In Spring, I'm taking an elective with Yale Center for Customer Insights, and the project options are with AB InBev, IBM, MasterCard, PepsiCo. There are several other Spring SOM electives that are hands-on (based on reading the course descriptions), including Global Social Entrepreneurship (Brazil in Spring, India in Fall), Scaling Up Practicum, Creating Healthcare and Life Science Ventures. Plus courses from other Yale Schools, such as one called Practicum in Climate Change, Sustainability, and Public Health. Outside of classes, I've seen opportunities to consult for Yale University Art Gallery, or working with start-ups through Tsai City.

Tech - We had 15+ SOM alum coming for the Google info session & coffee chats. There is also a West Coast career trek in January, with confirmed visits to many big tech firms. Happy to provide additional details.

Back to consulting, there are several Yale SOM alumni at all three MBB in Canada, and they have been incredibly supportive & helpful. The Consulting Club here is also top-notch, probably one of the best among top business schools.

Lastly, visit both admitted student weekends if you can. I was in a similar situation last year between Yale and another higher-ranked school, visited both and picked Yale due to fit.

Congrats again on having two great options! Always happy to chat more :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 05:18
cc018 wrote:
We may have spoken on the phone re. SOM (guessing based on your username and details), though I don't think we discussed any of your concerns in details, so adding a few thoughts here. That said, I didn't apply to Ross, so can't directly compare the two schools.

Experiential learning - also a huge fan, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the options at SOM to pursue these (admissions could do a better job marketing). In Spring, I'm taking an elective with Yale Center for Customer Insights, and the project options are with AB InBev, IBM, MasterCard, PepsiCo. There are several other Spring SOM electives that are hands-on (based on reading the course descriptions), including Global Social Entrepreneurship (Brazil in Spring, India in Fall), Scaling Up Practicum, Creating Healthcare and Life Science Ventures. Plus courses from other Yale Schools, such as one called Practicum in Climate Change, Sustainability, and Public Health. Outside of classes, I've seen opportunities to consult for Yale University Art Gallery, or working with start-ups through Tsai City.

Tech - We had 15+ SOM alum coming for the Google info session & coffee chats. There is also a West Coast career trek in January, with confirmed visits to many big tech firms. Happy to provide additional details.

Back to consulting, there are several Yale SOM alumni at all three MBB in Canada, and they have been incredibly supportive & helpful. The Consulting Club here is also top-notch, probably one of the best among top business schools.

Lastly, visit both admitted student weekends if you can. I was in a similar situation last year between Yale and another higher-ranked school, visited both and picked Yale due to fit.

Congrats again on having two great options! Always happy to chat more :)

Thank you! Got my other decisions after we chatted! Quick question: For recruiting in consulting does it reflect poorly if someone picks a Midwest office from a Northeast school? Or is it same as picking any other office?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 08:57
ak99 wrote:

Thank you! Got my other decisions after we chatted! Quick question: For recruiting in consulting does it reflect poorly if someone picks a Midwest office from a Northeast school? Or is it same as picking any other office?

For consulting office strategy, have good reasons why you are applying to a location (e.g. personal ties, or perhaps industry mix - I think Chicago does a ton of consumer goods), and prioritize a city you want to spend your weekends in, since you will be traveling a ton. It might be more challenging to justify why Midwest from SOM than Ross, plus there are fewer SOM alum in Chicago. That said, also heard it's relatively easy to transfer to a different office once you join full-time.

If you have to choose between Yale and Kellogg down the road (which I hope you do!), I can chat more about that as well. Went through that decision process last year.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 16:59
cc018 wrote:
ak99 wrote:

For consulting office strategy, have good reasons why you are applying to a location (e.g. personal ties, or perhaps industry mix - I think Chicago does a ton of consumer goods), and prioritize a city you want to spend your weekends in, since you will be traveling a ton. It might be more challenging to justify why Midwest from SOM than Ross, plus there are fewer SOM alum in Chicago. That said, also heard it's relatively easy to transfer to a different office once you join full-time.

If you have to choose between Yale and Kellogg down the road (which I hope you do!), I can chat more about that as well. Went through that decision process last year.

I'd love to hear about it!
Intern
Intern
B
Poll: Yale vs. Ross ($10k/year)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 17:00
For those voting Ross, can anyone elaborate why apart from I suppose the Midwest career factor, which may not be a big deal if I go for tech jobs most of which will be west coast. Thank you

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 18:47
Okay, I am a little late to the game here. Between the two of your choices, I would certainly pick Ross (even without the $). Can't speak for Yale very much (actually, I can but I won't - happy to PM), but here are answers to some of your questions/concerns about Ross.

1. MAP is huge. We have 7 different projects from Microsoft this year (4 from XBOX which I am excited about). MAP has about 85+ projects from all sorts of companies in 23 different countries and continues to be Ross' most recommended experience.

2. Tech recruiting is a real thing. Even if you take Amazon out of the equation (why would you though?), Ross continues to be Microsoft's biggest pool, mostly for PM, PMM, Finance roles. Several people with little to no tech background get in (albeit with a lot of prep and networking). Google, Salesforce, Dell and Adobe came to campus, while smaller firms including Tesla, UA, Nike and Walmart E-com recruiting from the portal.

3. Consulting recruiting is pretty heavy too. All big consulting firms recruit on campus and numbers comparable to Kellogg/Columbia and an edge over Fuqua/SOM. Smaller firms like Simon Kucher, LEK, Roland Berger came this year as well.

4. In terms of culture, it depends. Ross definitely has a KoolAid effect which you may or may not enjoy. Sports is a BIG thing in AA so if you are into that kind of thing, it is an ideal place to live. I don't enjoy sports very much so I keep to the other social areas in the student community as AA has more than the Big House to offer.

Happy to chat more if you have specific questions, but overall, I would rate Ross over Yale if I were in your shoes.

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 19:56
See this thread for someone else who went through the same process for tech: https://gmatclub.com/forum/yale-som-vs-ross-264232.html
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 14:25
souvik101990 wrote:
Between the two of your choices, I would certainly pick Ross (even without the $). Can't speak for Yale very much (actually, I can but I won't - happy to PM)

I think it'd be helpful if you shared your thoughts on Yale publicly for future reference. If you still prefer to share them privately, PM me. I'm curious to hear your constructive criticism for Yale SOM and I'd be happy to share them with our school - they're generally quite open to feedback.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 15:29
Wilch wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Between the two of your choices, I would certainly pick Ross (even without the $). Can't speak for Yale very much (actually, I can but I won't - happy to PM)

I think it'd be helpful if you shared your thoughts on Yale publicly for future reference. If you still prefer to share them privately, PM me. I'm curious to hear your constructive criticism for Yale SOM and I'd be happy to share them with our school - they're generally quite open to feedback.

I think Yale SOM is a fantastic program. However, I think the school is in a transitionary period of moving from a heavy not-for-profit/social impact crowd to a more business-y environment. My comment to the ak99 was purely based on MBB recruiting numbers for Yale vs Ross/Tuck/Fuqua.
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 18:05
souvik101990 wrote:
Wilch wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

I think Yale SOM is a fantastic program. However, I think the school is in a transitionary period of moving from a heavy not-for-profit/social impact crowd to a more business-y environment. My comment to the ak99 was purely based on MBB recruiting numbers for Yale vs Ross/Tuck/Fuqua.

Heyz what are the MBB recruiting numbers at Ross? Internship and FT?

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Poll: Yale vs. Ross ($10k/year)   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2019, 18:05

Poll: Yale vs. Ross ($10k/year)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch