It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 08:29
bump - great thread!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [2], given: 54

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 23:13
This post received
KUDOS
mgg234 wrote:
Rave:
1) I love the people. Everyone is super impressive and down to earth. I'm really glad I chose a school that favored high social skills, since I've heard horror stories from other M7's.
2) Location is great. I went to a big city undergrad school and no one really developed a deep bond with their school. I love the small town feel of Kellogg. Every weekend people are going to hang out with Kellogg students, which definitely builds deep bonds. And Chicago is a 20 minute Uber away, so we can go there if things get boring
3) I love the culture. Between KWEST, CIM, and sections they do a great job to ensure everyone has a group of friends. I've very extroverted, but even introverts are easily able to find friendships
4) Everything is so much cheaper than NYC, and free food is easy to find. The bars are cheap, and even though I party every night, I'm actually UNDER budget.
5) People party a lot here, which I enjoy.

Rants:
1) Everyone is sick all the time. We flew off the exotic locations and then were stuffed together for orientation, while not sleeping and drinking every night...definitely has created some superbugs.
2) More homework than I expected. I wouldn't say it's hard, but more time intensive than I thought. I will say that, even though I'm busier than I thought I would be, I enjoy it a lot (Something that wasn't true when I was working).

To follow up...after recruiting season and the core classes, homework/busyness drastically decreases. I have a ton of free time now, even though I'm in multiple leadership positions, and go out with friends 4-5 nights week.

Kudos [?]: 286 [2], given: 54

2 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 170 [2], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
I think this thread deserves to be more active than it is currently. Current students, where are you?

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 170 [2], given: 537

4 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 136 [4], given: 753

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 14:30
This post received
KUDOS
Day 2 at school. Everyone looks so accomplished. Dude, that's sooo intimidating. But in the short while (before school) that I spent with other students, I found that a lot of them have similar fears. Schools apparently are aware of this. At least Ross is, this I know for sure. The entire (say lengthy) orientation is designed so that we get to know each other and to kick our fears off.
<Shall continue this on and off.>

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.

Kudos [?]: 136 [4], given: 753

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 537

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 12:21
neo656 wrote:
Day 2 at school. Everyone looks so accomplished. Dude, that's sooo intimidating. But in the short while (before school) that I spent with other students, I found that a lot of them have similar fears. Schools apparently are aware of this. At least Ross is, this I know for sure. The entire (say lengthy) orientation is designed so that we get to know each other and to kick our fears off.

Wow. Thanks a lot Neo. Keep us up to date.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3706 [0], given: 2420

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 21:00
neo656 wrote:

Thanks neo656!!

Looking forward to read stories of MBAreapplicant84, DefyingGravity, whiplash2411, bml1105, dcMBA2014, Ward2012, MacFauz, farhanc85, Andiamo and others.

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3706 [0], given: 2420

3 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 230 [3], given: 158

Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS
I guess I'll chime in here now that I'm coming up on a month soon.

Ditto to what neo656 said. It's definitely intimidating being around so many accomplished and impressive people. But at the same time you need to remind yourself that these people are now your peers and that someone somewhere thought that you were qualified enough to be added to this group :)

Here's a quick couple of things that I've noticed since being here:
  • I am extremely busy. I am definitely way busier than I thought I would be. However, it is definitely manageable as long as you manage your time well. I was fortunate enough to exempt out of one of the more work heavy classes, but there's still a lot of things going on. So far I've tried to make it seem more manageable by treating the entire thing like I did my job and maintaining similar hours. So far it has worked out ok, but I know a large group project will be coming up and I'm sure that will throw a big wrench into things.
  • I know that many people have said this time and time again but I'll emphasize it again. FOMO is real... There is just so much going on all of the time, you need to very quickly start deciding what's more important to you and what you can go without.
  • It's b-school and everyone is an overachiever in some way and anxious. I've been incredibly anxious about practicing cases and prepping for recruiting, but the students, staff, and faculty here have been fairly good at keeping that side of me at bay.

That's it for now!! :-D

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

Kudos [?]: 230 [3], given: 158

Chat Moderator

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 21:40
dtse86 wrote:
I guess I'll chime in here now that I'm coming up on a month soon.

Ditto to what neo656 said. It's definitely intimidating being around so many accomplished and impressive people. But at the same time you need to remind yourself that these people are now your peers and that someone somewhere thought that you were qualified enough to be added to this group :)

Here's a quick couple of things that I've noticed since being here:
  • I am extremely busy. I am definitely way busy than I thought I would be. However, it is definitely manageable as long as you manage your time well. I was fortunate enough to exempt out of one of the more work heavy classes, but there's still a lot of things going on. So far I've tried to make it seem more manageable by treating the entire thing like I did my job and maintaining similar hours. So far it has worked out ok, but I know a large group project will be coming up and I'm sure that will throw a big wrench into things.
  • I know that many people have said this time and time again but I'll emphasize it again. FOMO is real... There is just so much going on all of the time, you need to very quickly start deciding what's more important to you and what you can go without.
  • It's b-school and everyone is an overachiever in some way and anxious. I've been incredibly anxious about practicing cases and prepping for recruiting, but the students, staff, and faculty here have been fairly good at keeping that side of me at bay.

That's it for now!! :-D

Great perspective. Thanks Dtse86. Looking forward to new posts by you. :-D

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [3], given: 8

Schools: Foster '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 15:30
This post received
KUDOS
Bumping this as we come into 2016-would love to hear your updates as i prepare to matriculate in the fall!

Kudos [?]: 11 [3], given: 8

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Schools: Foster '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 12:57
Bumping this again in hopes any of you current students have the time to share your thoughts!

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 836 [0], given: 595

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 16:19
aaudetat wrote:
Yeah, I think that's how it's coming down for me in b-school, which is kinda of funny. Most people think I'm really intense, a little crazy, and a total type a. But throw me in with a bunch of b-schoolers, and I come off a bit differently.

AAu's guide to applying b-school:
Come up with places you like. Don't worry about the rankings. You'll get to where you need to go.
Shoot off a bunch of essays in 4 weeks. Recycle as much material as possible.
Don't worry about visiting, etc. You know what you need - you'll get the info from the web.
Don't practice for interviews. Read one of those books and make notes in the margins. You know who you are.
Above all, don't do a NPV calculation.
Life's a journey. It's about so much more than money.

AAu's guide to being in b-school:

Do well in some classes. Don't worry about a few. Ace a few too.
Recruiting's all well and good, but don't let it stress you out.
Schoozing to get by is lame. If you like someone, reach out to them.
There are lots of jobs out there. You'll get one.
Embrace the hard stuff. If it weren't hard, it wouldn't be worth it.
Make friends. With the i-bankers, the marketers, the int'ls, and anyone else.
Above all, love your section.

Thank you aaudetat
Such a wonderful post.

Regards
Stone Cold

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 836 [0], given: 595

Re: 1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2017, 16:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 91 posts ] 

1 - 4 month mark: share your rants, raves and war stories

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap