Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Schools: DeGroote
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32885 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 1.5 month left, advice needed on studying to increase by 50 Points [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi JeevesAsk,

A score goal of 600+ is certainly reasonable given the timeframe that you've described. However, based on some of the details that you've offered about your studies, there's some question as to the accuracy of your CAT scores.

You claim to have studied "off and on" for over a year AND you've also admitted to taking lots of practice CATs. The big question is how many times have you retaken a CAT that you had already taken? Retaking CATs almost always leads to 'repeat' questions - and that almost always leads to 'inflated', unrealistic score results. If this recent 570 came from a Test that you had already taken (and/or included questions that you had already answered - possibly in this Forum), then we can't assume that that score is accurate.

I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1.5 month left, advice needed on studying to increase by 50 Points [#permalink]
Bump

Originally posted by JeevesAsk on 14 Feb 2017, 14:05.
Last edited by JeevesAsk on 16 Feb 2017, 11:37, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 1.5 month left, advice needed on studying to increase by 50 Points [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi JeevesAsk,

A score goal of 600+ is certainly reasonable given the timeframe that you've described. However, based on some of the details that you've offered about your studies, there's some question as to the accuracy of your CAT scores.

You claim to have studied "off and on" for over a year AND you've also admitted to taking lots of practice CATs. The big question is how many times have you retaken a CAT that you had already taken? Retaking CATs almost always leads to 'repeat' questions - and that almost always leads to 'inflated', unrealistic score results. If this recent 570 came from a Test that you had already taken (and/or included questions that you had already answered - possibly in this Forum), then we can't assume that that score is accurate.

I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hello,

Just a little update. I have been studying non-stop since the last post. Finished up most of the videos on GMATprep. I have taken a couple of tests since then and my scores have not been improving, but have been declining. Maybe i am taking too many tests and not reviewing my mistakes properly or I am taking challenging tests that are meant for 700 level test-takers. It is really frustrating. I have about 10 days till test day left. I am probably thinking about rescheduling the test for a 2nd time.

I have noticed that Algebra, Arithmetic, Modifiers, RC(specific questions) continue to be my biggest weakness. I plan on really focusing on these subjects for the remaining few days. I still have GMAT prep #2 available that i am saving for the last 5 days before the test. I do not have a lot of other obligations besides studying for this at the moment. For the past month I have been putting in at-least 5-6 hours a day taking a day break every week. I have been feeling a bit burnt out from these tests I have scored low on. Maybe I need to properly structure what material I am reviewing. Any advice on studying methods are appreciated.

Any recommendations on how I should go about structuring my study scehdule to give me the best chance of scoring V28 and Q37 600 score. ?

Attached is a screenshot of Magoosh companion which summarizes my OG prep 2016. I am currently working on the single OG Verbal and Quant 2016 books.
Google Drive Excel Link summary of all my results : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Attachments

File comment: Overview of Stats
gmat prep.PNG
gmat prep.PNG [ 62.35 KiB | Viewed 1436 times ]

GMAT Club Bot