GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 626
Location: India
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 23:30
1
1
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:15) correct 44% (02:18) wrong based on 120 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics. Even though 10 speeches were initially planned to be delivered, due to lack of time only 2 speeches were finally decided to be delivered. Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic. How many such two speeches are possible?

A. 2
B. 20
C. 50
D. 100
E. 1024

_________________
Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8004
Re: 10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 01:43
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics. Even though 10 speeches were initially planned to be delivered, due to lack of time only 2 speeches were finally decided to be delivered. Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic. How many such two speeches are possible?

A. 2
B. 20
C. 50
D. 100
E. 1024


Hi,
the words are a bit confusing..
But What I could gather..
Quote:
Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic.

1)there are 10 speeches in ONE topic and 10 in OTHER..
2)there is a specific order for topics, so
---a) both the topicd are to be spoken on- so ONE from each
---b) the order does not matter since there is ONLY one specific order..

so \(10C1*10C1 = 10*10 = 100\)
D
_________________
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 626
Location: India
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 01:53
chetan2u wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics. Even though 10 speeches were initially planned to be delivered, due to lack of time only 2 speeches were finally decided to be delivered. Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic. How many such two speeches are possible?

A. 2
B. 20
C. 50
D. 100
E. 1024


Hi,
the words are a bit confusing..
But What I could gather..
Quote:
Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic.

1)there are 10 speeches in ONE topic and 10 in OTHER..
2)there is a specific order for topics, so
---a) both the topicd are to be spoken on- so ONE from each
---b) the order does not matter since there is ONLY one specific order..

so \(10C1*10C1 = 10*10 = 100\)
D


Hi,

Some clarifications:

1. There are only 2 speeches and not 10 speeches
2. One speech is on 1 topic and the other speech is on the other topic
3. The order of the topics is fixed . So if the topics are A and B, the order may be fixed as A,B
4. The same speaker may speak on both the topics.
_________________
Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8004
Re: 10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 01:58
1
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics. Even though 10 speeches were initially planned to be delivered, due to lack of time only 2 speeches were finally decided to be delivered. Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic. How many such two speeches are possible?

A. 2
B. 20
C. 50
D. 100
E. 1024


Hi,
the words are a bit confusing..
But What I could gather..
Quote:
Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic.

1)there are 10 speeches in ONE topic and 10 in OTHER..

Thanks @
2)there is a specific order for topics, so
---a) both the topicd are to be spoken on- so ONE from each
---b) the order does not matter since there is ONLY one specific order..

so \(10C1*10C1 = 10*10 = 100\)
D


Hi,

Some clarifications:

1. There are only 2 speeches and not 10 speeches
2. One speech is on 1 topic and the other speech is on the other topic
3. The order of the topics is fixed . So if the topics are A and B, the order may be fixed as A,B
4. The same speaker may speak on both the topics.


thanks SravnaTestPrep..
so 2 speeches - ONE on each topic.. But as I mentioned above that since there is a specific order, arrangement or Permutations is not required..
first speech can be spoken by any of the 10 followed by the 2nd speech by any of the 10 - so 10*10 = 100
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Nov 2016
Posts: 15
Re: 10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 09:53
i think the problem is confusing
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 159
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Re: 10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 03:30
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics. Even though 10 speeches were initially planned to be delivered, due to lack of time only 2 speeches were finally decided to be delivered. Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic. How many such two speeches are possible?

A. 2
B. 20
C. 50
D. 100
E. 1024


Pathetic question. The words don't make any sense. Such question are disparaging for a newbie. For us, every question is a potential gmat question because we're on a GMAT forum!!!
_________________
Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 626
Location: India
Re: 10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 05:58
rekhabishop wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics. Even though 10 speeches were initially planned to be delivered, due to lack of time only 2 speeches were finally decided to be delivered. Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic. How many such two speeches are possible?

A. 2
B. 20
C. 50
D. 100
E. 1024


Pathetic question. The words don't make any sense. Such question are disparaging for a newbie. For us, every question is a potential gmat question because we're on a GMAT forum!!!


Dear rekhabishop,

I am sorry that you did not find the question up to the mark. I will ensure that the quality of the question is always maintained. Btw, have you tried our other questions posted on the forum?
_________________
Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2815
Re: 10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 11:22
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics. Even though 10 speeches were initially planned to be delivered, due to lack of time only 2 speeches were finally decided to be delivered. Topics are to be spoken in a specific order and the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic. How many such two speeches are possible?

A. 2
B. 20
C. 50
D. 100
E. 1024


The number of choices for the first speech is 10 and the number of choices for the second speech is also 10. Thus, the number of ways two speeches can be delivered is 10 x 10 = 100.

Answer: D
_________________

Jeffrey Miller

Head of GMAT Instruction

Jeff@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 57
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 11:08
"the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic"

If this is the case then how can second speech be selected in 10 ways....Plz Explain SravnaTestPrep
_________________
Please hit kudos button below if you found my post helpful..TIA
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 626
Location: India
Re: 10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 15:58
devarshi9283 wrote:
"the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic"

If this is the case then how can second speech be selected in 10 ways....Plz Explain SravnaTestPrep

Let us say the topics are S and T. Since the order of the topics spoken is fixed, let us assume it is S first and T second. Now S can be spoken by any of the 10 speakers. Then T can be spoken by any of the 10 speakers, for a total of 10*10=100 speeches.
_________________
Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach
Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 57
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 23:56
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
devarshi9283 wrote:
"the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic"

If this is the case then how can second speech be selected in 10 ways....Plz Explain SravnaTestPrep

Let us say the topics are S and T. Since the order of the topics spoken is fixed, let us assume it is S first and T second. Now S can be spoken by any of the 10 speakers. Then T can be spoken by any of the 10 speakers, for a total of 10*10=100 speeches.



But if speeches differ with respect to speaker ...If this sentence is referring to 2 speeches that are to be delivered ..then how come same speaker give a speech for second topic..
as far as i understand...the second speech may be delivered by 9 speakers only excluding the one speaker who has just finished with
first speech...

or may be "speeches differ with respect to speaker and topic" is said to indicate that all speeches are unique...in that case...this should have been told at the start of question itself...it's really confusing
_________________
Please hit kudos button below if you found my post helpful..TIA
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 626
Location: India
10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 00:33
devarshi9283 wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
devarshi9283 wrote:
"the speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic"

If this is the case then how can second speech be selected in 10 ways....Plz Explain SravnaTestPrep

Let us say the topics are S and T. Since the order of the topics spoken is fixed, let us assume it is S first and T second. Now S can be spoken by any of the 10 speakers. Then T can be spoken by any of the 10 speakers, for a total of 10*10=100 speeches.



But if speeches differ with respect to speaker ...If this sentence is referring to 2 speeches that are to be delivered ..then how come same speaker give a speech for second topic..
as far as i understand...the second speech may be delivered by 9 speakers only excluding the one speaker who has just finished with
first speech...

or may be "speeches differ with respect to speaker and topic" is said to indicate that all speeches are unique...in that case...this should have been told at the start of question itself...it's really confusing

The speaker who spoke on the first topic can also speak on the second topic. That I believe is implied by the sentence that speeches differ with respect to speaker or topic. So, the speaker who spoke on the first topic and also speaking on the second topic implies that the speeches differ with respect to topic.
_________________
Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13382
Re: 10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 23:31
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2018, 23:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

10 speakers gathered to deliver speeches on two topics.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne