Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Comparisonsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [88]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [26]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [9]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if [#permalink]
Hi experts! I understand this question. I want to know is the placement of "do" in option D is right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if [#permalink]
Hi, can someone please elaborate on the adverb adjective issue

Thanks in advance
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
shuzy wrote:
Hi, can someone please elaborate on the adverb adjective issue

Thanks in advance

Hello shuzy,

Can you please specify which adverb adjective issue do you have doubt about?

Please elaborate a bit so that we can help you accordingly and effectively.

Looking forward to hear from you. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
permit me to post second time, showing the new point.

if do, then do
is a fact, not a conditional

he showED that if temparature is 100 C degree, water boils

honestly, I see hard to diferentiate this sentence from conditional sentence

a timeless fact that water boils at 100 degree C or that they require less medicine confirm that the main clause in the past tense "showed" can go with dependent clause in the present tense.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [7]
Send PM
A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thangvietnam We need to distinguish between a conditional and a hypothetical. A conditional is ANY statement of a possible condition and a result. This can be a "timeless fact" ("If an animal does not eat, it will die") or a prediction ("If it rains much more, the game will be canceled") or speculation/judgment of past events ("If he was trying to compliment us, he did a bad job") or a hypothetical ("If all of the continents were connected, people would travel by train more often"). So the statement in this question is definitely a conditional. It's just not also a hypothetical.

A hypothetical is strictly for when we are discussing what would happen in a situation that has not currently come to pass. This can even be a past situation ("If my parents had not met, I would not be alive today"). Note that none of this is affected by verbs that occur BEFORE the conditional (e.g. "showed" in the original). I could say "A study showed that if we do X, Y will happen" or "A study showed that if X had happened, Y would have happened," or "If X were to happen, Y would happen," etc.

Originally posted by DmitryFarber on 30 May 2019, 00:24.
Last edited by DmitryFarber on 28 Oct 2020, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 520 Q43 V20
Send PM
in the above question is the usage of quicker not the reason for elimination?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V26
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
I eliminated C and D since both the options used past tense “required” with an “if” condition. Is this reasoning correct?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
porwal1 wrote:
in the above question is the usage of quicker not the reason for elimination?

You're right: some of these options can be removed because they use an adjective (quicker) to modify a verb (gain/will gain).

sandrajoseph16 wrote:
I eliminated C and D since both the options used past tense “required” with an “if” condition. Is this reasoning correct?

Yes, because we already have exercise (and associate) there.

Just in case it helps, the required in option D is part of the present perfect have required.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
thangvietnam We need to distinguish between a conditional and a hypothetical. A conditional is ANY statement of a possible conditional and a result. This can be a "timeless fact" ("If an animal does not eat, it will die") or a prediction ("If it rains much more, the game will be canceled") or speculation/judgment of past events ("If he was trying to compliment us, he did a bad job") or a hypothetical ("If all of the continents were connected, people would travel by train more often"). So the statement in this question is definitely a conditional. It's just not also a hypothetical.

A hypothetical is strictly for when we are discussing what would happen in a situation that has not currently come to pass. This can even be a past situation ("If my parents had not met, I would not be alive today"). Note that none of this is affected by verbs that occur BEFORE the conditional (e.g. "showed" in the original). I could say "A study showed that if we do X, Y will happen" or "A study showed that if X had happened, Y would have happened," or "If X were to happen, Y would happen," etc.

thank you
but I need you to differentiate hypothetical and conditional case. pls, explain it.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Send PM
Kudos