Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 410 (Q34, V17) in the gmat, please help me! [#permalink]
Senthil1981 wrote:
Gauri10 wrote:
Hi,

I am preparing for the GMAT since June ’16 to September’ 16. I started my preparation with regular studies. I joined coaching center to get help. Although, I gave my prep a kick start but couldn’t focus much on the preparation in the last month due to work pressure. I was scoring around 450-500 in the preps. I was disappointed and it was difficult to keep myself motivated. The issue with me is that I understand the concepts of quants but maybe I take too much time to approach the question in the test or maybe I need to practice more to get comfortable with the different types of questions. Most of the time, I couldn’t complete the questions in quants. Verbal is a major problem for me. Although, I am ok with SC and CR, I freak out when I see RC. I lose concentration sometimes during the exam when I am reading a passage. Even after my bad performance in the preps, I gave the exam anyway. I gave the GMAT on 5th October’16 and scored a 410 (Q34, V17). I am upset but I knew this would happen. I feel that I need extreme improvement in both quants and verbal. I am ready to put any amount of efforts to get a 700! Please guide me.

410 to 700 is a big jump, but assuming that you had a bad day when you got 410, you've to go back to basics and make a detailed plan topic by topic. Also dont book your next exam date immediately, prepare for a month and then give a prep and then decide on the exam. There are enough blogs and debriefs here that explains in details how to prepare. All the best.

Yes, I will have to make a new study plan. I require help so that my efforts are put into the right direction. More like smart working rather than hard working. Thanks for your advice!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
410 (Q34, V17) in the gmat, please help me! [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gauri10,

Raising a 410 to a 700+ will take some considerable time and effort on your part, and you're going to need to make some big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. While that's not impossible, it will be a big challenge - and you'll have to commit to studying in a consistent way for at least 3 months. Based on what you've described, the Course that you enrolled in was not a good 'match' for your way of studying - and you had trouble sticking with a study routine because of work. While you would still likely benefit a great deal by using a GMAT Course, you're going to need one that is flexible around your work schedule.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can study each week? -- I can give 2-3 hours per day on week days and 8-10 hours on weekends. Max 25-35 hours a week.
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School? -- I am aiming for 2nd deadlines, which is around in January'17.
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to? -- Harvard, Chicago Booth, Kelly, UC Austin and Rochester Simon.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I have answered to your queries. Please check next to your questions. I require help so that my efforts are put into the right direction. More like smart working rather than hard working. Please help!
My dream B school is HBS and I know my score is way behind to even think about it. But, I am ready to do anything to get there. I could brief you about my profile.
I have 4+ years of work ex in top MNC in India. I have strong academics record, my undergrads gpa: 9.3/10. Apart from work, dance is my passion. I am a trained dancer and I learn and teach dance on weekends. What are my chances to get to HBS?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Gauri10,

You've named some highly competitive Schools, so beyond having a strong GMAT score, you need a strong OVERALL profile AND you need to 'market yourself' correctly to each individual School that you plan to apply to. You would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Unfortunately, until you have an Official GMAT score 'locked up', there is no way to tell you what your chances are of getting accepted to any specific School.

As far as your continued studies are concerned, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course that better matches your sensibilities (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot