GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Jan 2020, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

480 to 510 to 650 trying for 700+

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
480 to 510 to 650 trying for 700+  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 13:41
Hi GMAT faithful. I'm a frequent visitor of the site but this may be my first post. I wanted to share my experience thus far and give others insight into what I have used to improve. I started by GMAT prep with the OG problems this in hindsight was probably a mistake since I have since found out that the OG problems are not they best at teaching you the fundamentals of the math needed to be successful. I then switched an bought the Economist GMAT course this too was not the best course to use if you lack the basic skills/understanding of the test.

After completing the course along with two official practice tests (scores ranged from 520-700) I sat for the GMAT exam in May 2019 and scored a miserable 480 (Q30 V22). I was very surprised but not discouraged. I went back to the drawing board and realized that:

1) I over estimated my ability (clearly) just because you can get hard questions right doesn't mean you are prepared to test at that level. The GMAT will find your weakness and destroy you.
2) As a native speaker I under estimated Verbal especially sentence correction. I figured I could show up and throw up and make out okay...bad idea.

I purchased the Target test prep system and I can say it paid dividends. It allowed me to learn internalize many nuances of the math that I lacked. I sat for the test again in September of 2019 after just barely completing the course. I had already purchased the exam and did not want to postpone. Again my results were lack luster I scored a 510 (Q39 V25). I noticed that I took waaaaay to much time in quant to the point where I was getting hard questions right but I had to guess on the last 7 questions. My Verbal score was still low SC was horrible despite some meaningful attempts to improve. I bought the books below to help.

Manhattan Reading Comprehension
Power Score CR
Complete SC Guide by Metzer

These materials helped me as well. I was specifically recommend the Sentence Correction Guide by Metzer. I sat for the exam yesterday (December 2019) and scored 650 (Q44 V35) I got all of my SC questions correct which is due in large part to the Metzer book along with focusing on meaning/splits to eliminate answers. Im going to try to test one last time to see if I can break the 700 threshold (I welcome any insight) but wanted to share my experience. I know there are some that scored higher in less time but I also want to encourage others who are seeing slow but steady increases. Don't get discouraged by failure keep chopping at the tree bit by bit.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 480 to 510 to 650 trying for 700+  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 14:58
ilg2019

congratulations buddy. I believe that you can even do better especially for quant. which can be improved within few weeks.
I think you have a great chance to pass the 700+.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 16:25
Hi ilg2019,

To start, raising a 480 to a 650 is a fantastic achievement - and you're actually closer to a 700+ than you probably realize. That having been said, to consistently score at that higher level, you will have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Since your 2nd attempt in September, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for this recent attempt. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 18:45
Thanks for the feedback below are answers to your questions. I did purchase an ESR report since I plan to take the test one last time on 01/09/2020

Studies:
1) Since your 2nd attempt in September, how many hours did you typically study each week? 20-25 hrs/week
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

From most recent test

12/4/2019 - Manhattan 670 (Q45 V36)
12/3/2019 - Manhattan 660 (Q43 V37)
12/2/2019 - Manhattan 580 (Q40 V31)
12/1/2019 - Manhattan 640 (Q43 V34)

In hindsight I prob shouldn't have taken so many in a row leading up to my test on 12/5

11/22/2019 - Official Prep 6 630 (Q42 V35)
10/29/2019 - Offiicial Prep 5 540 (Q37 V27)
10/20/2019 -Manhattan 580 (Q38 V31)
09/14/2019 - Official Prep 4 570 (Q42 V27)
08/16/2019 - Official Prep 3 600 (Q37 V35)
05/03/2019 - Official Prep 2 570 (Q38 V31)
I no longer have access to my Economist practice tests but they range from 520 - 700) with an average of 580
01/25/2019 - Official Prep 1 570 (Q39 V28)

Goals:
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School? Applying for PhD in Business Fall 2020
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to? My top schools are Michigan, Wharton, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Connecticut, and Florida
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2019, 07:19
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ilg2019,

To start, raising a 480 to a 650 is a fantastic achievement - and you're actually closer to a 700+ than you probably realize. That having been said, to consistently score at that higher level, you will have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Since your 2nd attempt in September, how many hours did you typically study each week?

Goals:
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for this recent attempt. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

I tried to upload my ESR but it wouldn’t let me.

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2019, 17:21
Hi ilg2019,

Before you can include attachments to your posts/PMs, you need to have 5 forum posts (right now, you have just 4). If you post just once more, then you should then be able to 'edit' any of your prior posts and include your ESR. If you would rather not post that information publicly, then you can feel free to PM it directly to me.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your recent CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. It's possible that you've developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that are keeping you from scoring higher (and it might take some time to fix those issues - and replace those bad habits with new 'good habits'). I want to reiterate that you're not actually that far from a 700+, but you'll need to focus on the proper Quant and Verbal Tactics going forward to lock in that higher Score.

As an aside, the PhD application process tends to be a bit more 'rigorous' than the MBA application process is - since there tends to be a small group of highly qualified applicants competing for a relatively small number of PhD 'slots.' As such, beyond having a strong GMAT Score, you'll need a strong OVERALL profile and you'll need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual Program that you apply to. By extension, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 20:54
Improving from 480 to 650 (with a 14-point quant improvement) is great! Nice job, my friend. Are you looking for some general advice on how to improve both your quant and verbal skills?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2019, 01:24
Yes Scott that would be greatly appreciated. I plan on using Target prep for one more month to prepare for my final attempt. Any insight would be helpful.

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 18:52
ilg2019 wrote:
Yes Scott that would be greatly appreciated. I plan on using Target prep for one more month to prepare for my final attempt. Any insight would be helpful.

Perfect. I’ll send you a PM, and we can chat further.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2019, 13:11
Congratulation for 650 score. Choose the schools with that range of gmat and good luck for your mba application.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 480 to 510 to 650 trying for 700+   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2019, 13:11

480 to 510 to 650 trying for 700+

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics