It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 17:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

500 to 780... How difficult could it be?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Consulting)
500 to 780... How difficult could it be? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 07:46
Hello,

I am not yet ready to go into the details of what I prepared and how I prepared but I think I can share my not so happy story here. I had quite a tragic experience last year while trying to juggle my incredibly demanding job and GMAT prep. I started with a 3 month study plan but in all honesty, couldn't stick to it. I could hardly find time to study and when I did my mind kept wandering back to my work. My friends call me a workaholic, something that had never bothered me before. But, after getting a GMAT score of 500 I wished it wasn't so.

But here I am again, all set to give it another try. I plan to take a break from work and get this going. Sit for the test in August and hope to get a great score that could help me get into one of the top B-schools.

I think I can use some help from the seasoned members / test takers and experts on the do's and don'ts. Look forward to it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Marshy on 03 May 2017, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 0

Re: 500 to 780... How difficult could it be? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 09:38
Hi there,
Sorry to hear of the challenges you dealt with during your previous GMAT preparation experience. Hoping things go better this time! As someone who taught and tutored hundreds of GMAT students and oversaw GMAT curriculum for a while, I would offer the following suggestions:

-2-3 months IS the ideal study timeframe I recommend. No more than that! You don't want to get burnt out or tired of it all.
-I strongly recommend a reputable GMAT prep course and/or private tutor. It makes a ton of difference to have proven test prep, materials, and realistic practice tests. Additionally a tutor can WATCH what you are doing and suggest specific steps for YOU to take in a way that even a classroom doesn't often offer.
-Be sure to diagnose the areas and question types you need the most help on.
-For quant, be sure you are comfortable with your content and the basics first; consider something such as a GMAT Math Workbook to brush up early in your prep.
-Be sure to practice as much as possible ON THE COMPUTER as that experience is different from the feel of doing q's in books/on paper
-Do 5-10 full length practice tests, and REVIEW each one you do (the next day) to learn from that
-Prepare mentally to take the test more than once.... it's quite common to do so, and there is no down side for doing so; if you do find you want to try a 2nd time, do it asap (as soon as you are able to) as your mind will still be fresh.

Keep us posted on other q's and good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 772 [0], given: 66

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 21:48
Marshy wrote:
Hello,

I am not yet ready to go into the details of what i prepared and how I prepared but I think I can share my not so happy story here. I had quite a tragic experience last year while trying to juggle my incredibly demanding job and GMAT prep. I started with a 3 month study plan but in all honesty, couldn't stick to it. I could hardly find time to study and when I did my mind kept wandering back to my work. My friends call me a workaholic, something that never bothered me before. But, after getting a GMAT score of 500 I wished I it wasn't so.

But here I am again, all set to giver it another try. I plan to take a break from work and get this going. Sit for the test in August and hope to get a great score that could help me get into one of the top B-schools.

I think I can use some help from the seasoned members / test takers and experts on the do's and don'ts. Look forward to it.

Thanks!

Hi Marshy ,
Raising your score 500 to 760+ will require a herculean effort .760 is top one percentile on the GMAT ; most of the test takers will never score that high. You should aim for gradual improvement - say from 500 to 600 , then 600 to 700 and then build upon that.

- OG and Verbal review
- Magoosh on demand - decent ROI
- For Quant - Manhattan or Veritas prep guides are good
- GMAT Club tests are fantastic for quant practice.
-Also , solve the questions in Bunuel's signature .

SC - e-GMAT and Manhattan SC - It can be improved in the least amount of time . This is the best e-GMAT module .
- CR - Powerscore , e-GMAT , MGMAT Ron's videos
-RC - MGMAT or Veritas reading strategy
- GMAT Prep exam pack 1 and 2

Hope this helps!! :)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 772 [0], given: 66

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 21:54
Marshy wrote:
Hello,

I am not yet ready to go into the details of what i prepared and how I prepared but I think I can share my not so happy story here. I had quite a tragic experience last year while trying to juggle my incredibly demanding job and GMAT prep. I started with a 3 month study plan but in all honesty, couldn't stick to it. I could hardly find time to study and when I did my mind kept wandering back to my work. My friends call me a workaholic, something that never bothered me before. But, after getting a GMAT score of 500 I wished I it wasn't so.

But here I am again, all set to giver it another try. I plan to take a break from work and get this going. Sit for the test in August and hope to get a great score that could help me get into one of the top B-schools.

Thanks!

IMHO, a 280 point increase is too difficult, but nothing is impossible. What are the test materials you're currently using?

Hit +1 Kudos If you like my post! :)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 20:06
Hi there-- Addendum that I somehow missed the subject line component of 500 to 780... I stand by all of my detailed study plan suggestions above; I have seen through strong preparation courses, improvements of 80-120 points on a fairly regular basis... occasionally 150-180 even... but yes 780 is extremely rare.... and keep in mind averages at top schools are often around 730...... see how your practice test scores go and work hard, consider a tutor and go from there... good luck to you!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php