It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 16:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

590 to 680 to Not going

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [7] , given: 3

590 to 680 to Not going [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I wanted to share my application story mainly because I have spent years on this site. I have asked numerous questions on multiple profiles (kept forgetting my logins), and it has helped me immensely through my GMAT/application journey. I want to give back, at least a little to a community that has helped me immensely.

Like many people here, I started off on a track I didn’t necessarily want to be on. I was an accountant for a F500 health insurance company and knew right away without dramatic change I would not accomplish my career goals of going into consulting/high end finance. I figured an MBA would help me change paths, so I started my journey.
Few things I’ve learned on the GMAT: Really listen to the advice here, it works. Keep an error log. Buy those Manhattan books. Follow the plans laid out by gurus:
gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html?fl=menu

They’re good plans, I promise. This guy right here went from a 590 to a 680. There is nothing I can mention about my study plan that hasn’t already been said here. Spend the time, read the stories, and I promise if you take them to heart only good things will happen.

The next part of my plan was to get my resume and application in order. I passed my CPA thinking it would give me a leg up in MBA admissions and my current career. I volunteered through work sponsored events. I tried my hardest to put myself into leadership positions to have something to say in my essay. I moved departments into internal audit within my company. I joined toastmasters, thinking club membership would look good.

In 2014 I started applying for schools, but through all these efforts, I never stopped applying to the jobs I wanted: consulting jobs/high end finance jobs. As it turned out, a person I volunteered with just so happened to work in big 4 consulting and saw my application, and it just so happened they were hiring and needed some CPAs with health insurance experience.

Life is a funny, funny thing. You go down a path trying to get somewhere, but there are twists and turns that can take you in unexpected directions. Never forget your career is a journey and not a destination. Keep an open mind as you move along the path.

Kudos [?]: 8 [7] , given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 18

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User
590 to 680 to Not going [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 12:43
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats. It sounds like you got the job you wanted. Your post is extremely thought-provoking. Too many people, myself included, get stuck into getting that 700 score so that we can get into that school. This is expected when it takes hundreds of hours of time and effort. However, a score and an MBA are still just achievements. It will never be quite as meaningful as what we do day to day.

For example, would you rather be a H/W/S grad or a consultant working on the world's biggest problems? Would you rather have a 750+ score or following your dream of improving education in 3rd world countries? Yes, sometimes the MBA or GMAT score helps get you to living your dream, but it is never the only way.

For me, hopefully an MBA will get me closer to my dream. But I know, its not the be all and end all if I don't.

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 18

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27245 [0], given: 5007

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 590 to 680 to Not going [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 10:02
Thank you so much for posting this debrief and sharing your experience! Really appreciate it.
I like what you said - there are sometimes multiple roads to take in one's career, and MBA is not the only path (so many of us forget that). I love how life works out sometimes and love how your connection happened. I think the bottom line is - be friendly, be involved, and stand out as a leader and you will have a lot more doors and options.

P.S. Sorry about those 2 GMAT's you had to take ;-)

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27245 [0], given: 5007

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 590 to 680 to Not going [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 12:17
A really vivid and encouraging example that helps explain multiple paths to the dream job / lifestyle. It's quite easy to get fixated on one or two aspects (GMAT, resume) of your experience when applying for bschool.

I'll remember this story! Thanks and best luck at your new job!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: 590 to 680 to Not going   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2015, 12:17

590 to 680 to Not going

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap