GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

630 (Q39, V38) - good enough ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
630 (Q39, V38) - good enough ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 03:39
Hi guys,

I was checking this forum regulary for a past 2 weeks or so. It gave me a lot of inspirations and I would like to pay back something. So here is my story:

I did the GMAT on June 30 this year with terrible score of 510 (Q39, V22).
I completely underestimated the test, studying for only about 5-7 evenings.

Although the score sucked, I applied to 2 schools (IMD and INSEAD). IMD suggested me to retake the test and put my app on hold. INSEAD did not reply until the 2 week ago, when I wrote them I would be redoing the test. They encouraged me and put my app on hold also.

I said to my self: Go for it, you can make it effectively in a short time. So I took a week off from work and spent about 10 consecutive days hard time studying (11 hours a day). I used OG11 and 2008 Kaplan premier program.

Today I did the test with score of 630 (Q39, V38). I encreased the verbal part dramatically. However I did the math the same way I did it last time. The reason is that I made 2 critical strategic errors.
Firstly I spent too much time on question number 1, I was shocked how hard it was and having in mind that I need to make first 10 question as good as possible, I ended up solving it for almost a 5 minutes !!! Then I got under the stress.
Second critical error in math was that I did not finish it by roughly 4 questions. This got me penalized heavily I guess.

You could see and feel my frustration after the math. But I do not know how, the verbal part was suddenly so easy. I was cruising the all the questions with such an ease. And given the fact that I am not native English speaker, I am quite proud of my V38.

The essays were really nothing to worry about, I did not spend more then an 2 hours preparing for it and I think I will get a decent score (last time it was 4,1 without any preparation and under a lot more stress).

Now, I hope I am back in the game with my apps and will keep you updated on the results.

Take care, this site is great.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 630 (Q39, V38) - good enough ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 08:28
Hi Hoangnguyen123
Good enough? No, you need at least 670 and 700 for IMD and INSEAD respectively.

You have to work harder on your Quant. if you are running out of time, try to take a condensed Quant course . for example, Math Revolution Short-Cut 51 is one month course focusing on Quant. (or try to email leading companies in GMAT courses and see what they can offer you in a 2 week to one month package).
P
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
630 (Q39, V38) - good enough ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 08:50
Hi Hoangnguyen123,

Great job to increase your verbal from v22 to v38. But your Quant Q39 (35 percentile) is considered low. Correct me if I am wrong, but I remembered INSEAD even explicitly states in its website that each section preferably scores about 70 percentile (which is Q48-49).

There is room for some improvement to your verbal score too.

Just try to exercise with gmatclub quant test or free questions from this forum. You can look at Bunuel's post or chetan2u's answers.

I believe retaking and scoring to 700 level will open many doors to your dream b-schools. Good luck

Posted from my mobile device
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 09:05
Hoangnguyen123 wrote:
Hi guys,

I was checking this forum regulary for a past 2 weeks or so. It gave me a lot of inspirations and I would like to pay back something. So here is my story:

Although the score sucked, I applied to 2 schools (IMD and INSEAD). IMD suggested me to retake the test and put my app on hold. INSEAD did not reply until the 2 week ago, when I wrote them I would be redoing the test. They encouraged me and put my app on hold also.

I said to my self: Go for it, you can make it effectively in a short time. So I took a week off from work and spent about 10 consecutive days hard time studying (11 hours a day). I used OG11 and 2008 Kaplan premier program.

Today I did the test with score of 630 (Q39, V38). I encreased the verbal part dramatically. However I did the math the same way I did it last time. The reason is that I made 2 critical strategic errors.
Firstly I spent too much time on question number 1, I was shocked how hard it was and having in mind that I need to make first 10 question as good as possible, I ended up solving it for almost a 5 minutes !!! Then I got under the stress.
Second critical error in math was that I did not finish it by roughly 4 questions. This got me penalized heavily I guess.

You could see and feel my frustration after the math. But I do not know how, the verbal part was suddenly so easy. I was cruising the all the questions with such an ease. And given the fact that I am not native English speaker, I am quite proud of my V38.

The essays were really nothing to worry about, I did not spend more then an 2 hours preparing for it and I think I will get a decent score (last time it was 4,1 without any preparation and under a lot more stress).

Now, I hope I am back in the game with my apps and will keep you updated on the results.

Hi Hoangnguyen123,

Firstly congratulations on a great verbal score. It is indeed a great improvement from your previous score. However, I do think you should try to improve Quant score a bit. Business schools such as Insead Business School look for 70th percentile in each section. They may ask you to retake to improve your Quant score. I would recommend you to reach out to the adcom and seek their guidance
before you decide on your next steps.

Hope this helps. All the best!
P
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 15:59
Nice improvement in verbal .You didn’t use any resource apart from OG and Kaplan?
Hoangnguyen123 wrote:
Hi guys,

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 14:23
Hi Hoangnguyen123,

You clearly made some fantastic improvements to how you handle the Verbal section, but your Q39 will likely be seen as a 'red flag' at many Programs - so you might need to retest one more time. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you might naturally improve if you are able to commit to a longer study period. If you would like to earn a similar improvement in the Quant section in as efficient a timeframe as possible, you first have to realize that the Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test'; it's a critical thinking test that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. As such, if you plan to retest, then you will need to become more of a Quant 'strategist' as you continue to study.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and plans:

1) What 'deadlines' are you facing at each of the Schools that you plan to apply to?
2) If you are wait-listed or rejected from the 2 Schools you mentioned, will you apply to any other Schools?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 19:18
Hi Hoangnguyen123,

Do you plan to retake the GMAT?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 630 (Q39, V38) - good enough ?   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2019, 19:18

630 (Q39, V38) - good enough ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep