It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 16:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 GMAT Retake Advice Appreciated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
690 GMAT Retake Advice Appreciated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 08:15
Hi everyone -

Long time lurker and fan of the forum. Would greatly appreciate your sage advice on my current situation:

- Took the GMAT last year and scored a 690 (Q44 V41); tried to apply to a couple of M7 schools + Haas and got dinged or waitlisted
- Decided I need to boost my GMAT score so decided to retake it; focused mostly on improving quant score
- Retook GMAT today and scored a 680 (Q46 V37); I have mixed feelings as I managed to improve my quant but my verbal dropped

Would really appreciate your advice on whether I should:

- Cancel my score and try to retake it in a week or two, by focusing on both quant and verbal, with a view to try for R2 (or R1 if possible)
- Not cancel my score and apply with my current two GMAT takes to b-schools in R1
- Cancel my score and simply focus on essays for R1 with my first take (690)

Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
Re: 690 GMAT Retake Advice Appreciated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 08:56
Depends on your demographics and rest of you profile, but I would go ahead and cancel your score since you already have your test from last year, which is higher.

Realistically, I don't think you're going to make a significant improvement with 2-weeks of study. You might need more like 1-2 months depending on your target. If M7 is your goal, then you're looking at a GMAT average score around 720-740 to be competitive.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
B
Affiliations: Harvard University

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 10:34
If you can break 700, and especially 720, you'll be in a different category in admissions. I would not cancel your score, but take again and apply for R2. With a 680 or 690, you risk getting rejected again at the top schools (though would still be competitive at the top 20...just maybe not the top ten. Hope that helps!

I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm and blog: http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Check out the blog and contact me for a free consultation today!

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 1910 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 14:13
Because some schools are looking for Q45+ Quant scores, I don't think cancelling the score could be a good idea. The improvement in Quant is worth having on your record. As for when and whether to retake, that depends on a few things. You'd need to ask an admissions expert how competitive you'll be at your target schools with your current score (and that expert will need more information about your profile). If it turns out you decide to retake, you'd want to use the information you have from GMATPrep tests to decide when to take the test again. If you were consistently scoring 700+ on official diagnostic tests, there's every reason to think you'll do that on the real thing if you perform normally, so the 680 was probably just slightly bad luck. You could take the test tomorrow and be quite confident of a 700+ result. But if your diagnostic scores were more in the 660-690 range, you'd probably want to make some genuine improvement before retaking. It shouldn't take a long time, but it can be hard to make that kind of progress in only a week or so, unless you have a clear idea of what you need to work on. Good luck!

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 1910 [0], given: 6

Re: 690 GMAT Retake Advice Appreciated   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2017, 14:13

690 GMAT Retake Advice Appreciated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap