Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: A disastrous attempt at my 1st GMAT online exam [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi RakshithTN,

I'm sorry to hear about the tech issues that you faced on Test Day; what you described would have been frustrating for most Test-takers and likely impacted your overall performance. That having been said, we have to be careful about assuming that that was the only reason why you scored lower (since you still performed at a really high level on IR). When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you been studying 5-7 hours/day?
2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hello Rich,

Thank you for responding

I'll try to answer your questions

Studies:
1) How long have you been studying 5-7 hours/day?
I've been studying 5-7 hours/day for the last 5 months. Very rarely I skip my study time.

2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies?
Quant- Target Test Prep

Verbal -
SC: Target Test Prep, Sentence Correction Nirvana by Education Aisle,10-15Q per day from Official sources and others on GMAT club
CR: Powerscore CR bible (Haven't completed), Target Test Prep, 10-15Q per day from Official sources and others on GMAT club
RC- 3 passages per day from different sources on GMAT club

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
720 Q(49-51) V(35-40)

4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
ISB
IESE
IE
Copenhagen Business School
NUS
NTU
US B-schools, I'll decide after I get my desired score

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
One thing that may help your Verbal is to work on your Solving Approach. For example, I usually teach students a method that helps them ABSORB RC (as opposed to simply reading).

All the best.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi RakshithTN,

I've sent you a PM with some additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RakshithTN wrote:
I took my GMAT online exam today and had a terrible experience overall. I'll try to briefly describe my preparation, mocks, and exam day.

Let me start off with the exam day experience:

To begin with, at the start of the day MBA.com website was running very slow. I have been monitoring my internet bandwidth for over a week it has been clocking 65-70 MBPS consistently, and it was no different today. I connected using a LAN cable to ensure that everything would go smooth on the exam day. I could log in only after 25 min after I started trying. Although, this caused only an 8 min delay from the scheduled time.

The Procter was super friendly and patient with the entire screening process. But, his voice was very unclear and there was s lot of disturbance in his voice (he said that he had an issue with the microphone). This necessitated me to listen to his voice extra carefully.

I chose Quant-Verbal-IR-AWA as my section order. I would like to brief through all the sections so that it could help the rest to plan for uncertainties during online exam.

Quant:
Firstly, I had to click 2-3 times to select an answer choice. And had to do the same to proceed to the next question (it took at least 5-10 sec for the pop-up to even get displayed, and it counted!!). While answering the 8th question, I clicked twice on the answer option and the portal crashed! I started chatting using the Expect chat option. After 5 min. the Procter contacted me and re-established the test. Fortunately, it resumed.

I felt that the Quant section was relatively harder (time-consuming) compared to all the mocks I have attempted. Also, the lag for selecting the answer option persisted adding to my misery. I was really disappointed with the way I performed in Quant, considering that it was my strength.

Verbal:
My demoralized state got dragged into the Verbal section as well. The lag didn't just leave me at the quant section!!!
I knew that I was performing abysmally. Had to pull myself really hard to complete the section.

IR:
After a shocker in my 6th Official mock(scored a 1 of 8!), I practiced the Official questions from the IR pack. And yeah, it did prove to be quite useful.
The lag still persisted!!

AWA:
This section was really frustrating. Whatever I typed wasn't getting displayed on many occasions. It took at least 20sec to even see what I was typing. I lost 5-7min because of this. So, had to cut short my essay to finish it in time

Final score:
Quant: 47!!!
Verbal: 24!!!
IR: 7!!!

I sat dumbstruck for at least 10min trying to decipher how I even ended up with that score, considering all the effort I had put in for this day.

Preparation
I started preparing for GMAT in early December last year. Initially, I relied on self-study. GMATclub forum has been ever useful.

I took few mocks on GMATclub (both verbal and quant), 2 Veritas mocks, 1 Manhattan prep mock; I was scoring Q(45-49) V(33-38) I realized that I needed a structured approach to push through the 700 barrier.

1st official Mock (May 2021): 570 (Q47 V26)

Then, I found TargetTestPrep. The prep material is really extensive for both Quant and Verbal. I was kicking in 5-7 hours every day. In spite of hectic work schedules. I could see I was consistently improving my Quant and Verbal skills.

I took 5 mocks with a gap of 1 week between each mock. And I reviewed each of them. Found my weak areas and worked on the strategy as well.

2nd Official mock: 680 (Q50 V30)
3rd Official mock: 680(Q50 V30)
4th Official mock: 640 (Q48 V31)
5th Official Mock: 680 (Q49 V34)
6th Official Mock (3 days before my exam date): 660 (Q49 V31)

And my real exam score was completely unexpected.
Right now my thoughts are lingering in the blue. What my approach should be from here? My confidence has just taken for a toss. And the R1 applications are just around the corner for most of my target schools

Any suggestions will be really helpful.

I'm planning to retake the GMAT exam, but not an online exam again for sure!

And thanks for your patience and time to read till here.

There are bad days(2nd attempt) and there could be an extremely bad day(first attempt).

Just an update of my 1st attempt: I sent the feedback to the GMAT guys, they looked through the issue and declared that it was a technical error at their end. I was given a voucher for a re-take(only Online). (Really appreciate their commitment towards assisting grievances)

I took the test 2nd time after a month since my first attempt.

This time it was an ordeal lasting for 5 hours. There was an issue establishing the secured connection and resulted in the delay. However, the proctor was extremely helpful to get things right.

Scored a 680 (Q48 V35 IR3 AWA4.5).

I'm satisfied that I could match with the scores in my mocks. I was completely worn out at the end of the test (IR and AWA scores reflect my state during the test). I'm going ahead with my applications. *I hope low IR score wouldn't curb my chances.

Once the test started it was a very smooth experience.
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry to hear about all the technical issues and kudos to you for pushing through and finishing the test. Q47 is no joke and you did it in tough conditions.

With all the prep time you've already put in, going back and rehashing the same approach isn't going to yield significant results unless you give it a lot more time.

I'm guessing you'd like get this over with (and you might be facing application deadlines).

I'd shift your focus to a 50/50 split between building your test taking skills and doing more content study. A coach guide program could help to identify your critical remaining gaps and increase your prep efficiency to 80+%.

Happy to discuss in detail and schedule a FREE Assessment of your Test Taking Skills so you can focus your retake prep.

Arvind
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
A disastrous attempt at my 1st GMAT online exam [#permalink]
I had a similiar experience this thursday. I scored a 23 in verbal, altough I did a 45 in the last mock exam, and my worst score was a 35 in verbal before I started studying. But it was the same for me, I had to click several times to chose an answer, I got frequent windows pop ups that the Secure Browser is frozen, and the proctor distrubted me three times; he asked me twice to change my web cam and once to show my room during the quant section. However, for the quant part I got a 46, which shocked me because the last few days I did much better with verbal questions than with quant. Also, the proctor seemed so unfriendly, during the check-in he asked me to show my room and talked with me, but then he went silent for 10 minutes. I thought, ok, he is gone and wanted to close examity etc but in that second he replied again. In my opinion, GMAT is now a joke, and I am thinking about not attempting it again. Maybe I do the GRE instead.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
scfscf

Might be worth trying to get a refund or voucher if the Online deployment had technical errors.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
scfscf wrote:
I had a similiar experience this thursday. I scored a 23 in verbal, altough I did a 45 in the last mock exam, and my worst score was a 35 in verbal before I started studying. But it was the same for me, I had to click several times to chose an answer, I got frequent windows pop ups that the Secure Browser is frozen, and the proctor distrubted me three times; he asked me twice to change my web cam and once to show my room during the quant section. However, for the quant part I got a 46, which shocked me because the last few days I did much better with verbal questions than with quant. Also, the proctor seemed so unfriendly, during the check-in he asked me to show my room and talked with me, but then he went silent for 10 minutes. I thought, ok, he is gone and wanted to close examity etc but in that second he replied again. In my opinion, GMAT is now a joke, and I am thinking about not attempting it again. Maybe I do the GRE instead.

Sorry to hear that. Did you reach out to the folks at GMAC to see if you could get a refund?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep

Yes, I wrote them. They replied really fast and gave me a voucher code. :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
scfscf wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep

Yes, I wrote them. They replied really fast and gave me a voucher code. :)

Great!!
GMAT Club Bot