GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Feb 2019, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

     February 23, 2019

     February 23, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     February 24, 2019

     February 24, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2015
Posts: 92
A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 05:17
3
18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (01:47) correct 35% (01:46) wrong based on 1436 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

(A) raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head

(B) promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions

(C) reduce the responsibilities of each department

(D) have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads

(E) reduces the average number of employees per department

The Question is the same as an old gmat CR question. What makes this one tough are the options.

_________________

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 32
Location: India
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 03:50
10
I was confused between A and D.

But A says "have not raised the minimum qualification"- if it were "have not decreased the qualification"..then this option could have qualified as an answer.
_________________

When you are grateful - when you can see what you have - you unlock blessings to flow in your life

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2015
Posts: 92
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 05:18
2
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
B. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions
C. reduce the responsibilities of each department
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads
E. reduces the average number of employees per department

I get why D) is right, my doubt is regarding A)

Why is it wrong? Anyone care to clarify?

Thanks in advance
_________________

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

Retired Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 592
Premium Member
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 06:46
1
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
B. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions
C. reduce the responsibilities of each department
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads
E. reduces the average number of employees per department


The Question is the same as an old gmat CR question. What makes this one tough are the options.



This is an Assumption based fill in the blank question.

We need to get what is unstated in the passage...

There is some Unitron Corporation’s department heads are going to retire next year. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department..This is the main point...if they are not going to hire from outside then it means that Unitorn must hire some person who is well aware of the department i.e he must be senior.. if such seniors go out of company then such department will not have any manager... Hence D is the correct option..

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head ---> This option can't be correct because we need to logically fill the blank and before the blank we have so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head.. Then we can observe the both statements are contracting.

If they raise the qualification then some one will come into manager position then how can we say that the department has no manager...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 09:35
I was about to choose D when something stuck my mind and I went for C. Here are the 2 choices:

C. reduce the responsibilities of each department
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads

D is good but I had one possible solution in my mind...that the problem is because of more number of departments and few dept heads...what If the company decides to dissolve existing few departments? In that case, the leftover departments could be taken up by dept heads...

Choice C that I interpreted was something like ...some dept would be without dept heads next year...since unitron will NOT reduce the responsibilities of each department i.e. they will not dissolve any of the existing departments...

Can't this also be a possible answer? Or I interpreted the meaning of the word responsibilities too much ?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2897
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 13:11
2
RaghavSingla wrote:
I was about to choose D when something stuck my mind and I went for C. Here are the 2 choices:

C. reduce the responsibilities of each department
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads

D is good but I had one possible solution in my mind...that the problem is because of more number of departments and few dept heads...what If the company decides to dissolve existing few departments? In that case, the leftover departments could be taken up by dept heads...

Choice C that I interpreted was something like ...some dept would be without dept heads next year...since unitron will NOT reduce the responsibilities of each department i.e. they will not dissolve any of the existing departments...

Can't this also be a possible answer? Or I interpreted the meaning of the word responsibilities too much ?


Test option C and D using negation.

Negate C: Unitron WILL reduce the responsibilities of some departments. Nonetheless Unitron will still require department heads, albeit with reduced responsibilities. Hence negating C does not solve the problem.

Negate D: Unitron WILL appoint senior managers as department heads. Thus negating D solves the problem.

Thus D is the correct answer.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 841
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 13:16
3
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
B. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions
C. reduce the responsibilities of each department
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads
E. reduces the average number of employees per department


The Question is the same as an old gmat CR question. What makes this one tough are the options.


Conclusion of the question says that departments will be without department heads. The possible assumptions to reach this conclusion will be:-
1) No one from the company will be appointed as department head for those departments.
2) These departments will not be merged into other departments.

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head. So will the departments get their heads?
B. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions How about head?
C. reduce the responsibilities of each department does that mean that the departments will be reduced? no
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads This is exactly what we are looking for.
E. reduces the average number of employees per department Reduction of employees in department does not mean reduction in department itself.
_________________

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Status: GMAT...one last time for good!!
Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 58
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 19:20
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
B. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions
C. reduce the responsibilities of each department
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads
E. reduces the average number of employees per department

I get why D) is right, my doubt is regarding A)

Why is it wrong? Anyone care to clarify?


Thanks in advance


I rejected A because:
It could be so that Unitron awards promotions to say people who have more experience than better qualifications or maybe Unitron promotes people only basis 'promotion turns-say 3 years'.

Considering all these factors the premise states that only limited people can be promoted,no new heads to be recruited and no sharing responsibilities. So we can pre think that to fill that vacancy only someone on top of the hierarchy can be fixed.
_________________

Kudos for a correct solution :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 345
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 03:11
Although D is the best, Only problem I have with D is :

The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. :The number of employees other than current department heads including everybody in lower hierarchy from current department heads and upper heirarchy from Current department head.

unitron can fill the vacancy

A. outside the company
B. current department heads take over more than one department
These two are out of scope as per the argument. SO what else??


C. The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening takes two department each as condition that current department heads can't take over more than one department is not applicable to those.

what else??

D. any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appoint them as as department heads. but the question is ( Did "The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening " not included that, because they are also employee of the company?)???
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3631
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 09:33
abrakadabra21 wrote:
Although D is the best, Only problem I have with D is :

The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. :The number of employees other than current department heads including everybody in lower hierarchy from current department heads and upper heirarchy from Current department head.

unitron can fill the vacancy

A. outside the company
B. current department heads take over more than one department
These two are out of scope as per the argument. SO what else??


C. The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening takes two department each as condition that current department heads can't take over more than one department is not applicable to those.

what else??

D. any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appoint them as as department heads. but the question is ( Did "The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening " not included that, because they are also employee of the company?)???


Although I didn't get your questions clearly, I will try giving some information based on what I understood.

Here, the argument states that there will be departments without any department heads.

We are given that "Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department".

So, it implies the current employees who are not department heads could be promoted to department head. But author says "some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______." => Our assumption is not going to happen. Hence, D is the BEST answer.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2897
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 10:58
1
abrakadabra21 wrote:
Although D is the best, Only problem I have with D is :

The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. :The number of employees other than current department heads including everybody in lower hierarchy from current department heads and upper heirarchy from Current department head.

unitron can fill the vacancy

A. outside the company
B. current department heads take over more than one department
These two are out of scope as per the argument. SO what else??


C. The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening takes two department each as condition that current department heads can't take over more than one department is not applicable to those.

what else??

D. any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appoint them as as department heads. but the question is ( Did "The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening " not included that, because they are also employee of the company?)???


Your point is "almost"(!) valid. In the sentence "The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies." refers to only the employees who are below in hierarchy and does not consider the fact that people higher in hierarchy may also take on the position. Ideally that could have been clarified in the question stem. However consider this way: if D is the correct answer then automatically it is implied that in "The number of employees... " only people lower in hierarchy are considered since there is none suitable above (as per D). This is a case of an interesting cyclic logic; selecting answer D automatically eliminates the problem you mentioned !
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 222
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 10:45
7
A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

Here we need an option which will solve the problem of having more department head from within the company given the conditions in the argument.

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head

We already have a shortage of department heads and if you raise the minimum qualification further it will only aggravate the situation. Eliminate.

B. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions

That will mean more vacancies and further shortage of department heads. Eliminate.

C. reduce the responsibilities of each department

So what? It doesn't suggest the department with reduced responsibilities won't require a department head.

D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads

Now this will solve the problem and should be the answer as we can have more departments heads to fill up from inside the corporation.

E. reduces the average number of employees per department

Similar to C. It doesn't suggest that department with fewer employees won't require department heads.
_________________

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jun 2017
Posts: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V29
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 17:57
b. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions

Can some one explain why answer B is incorrect.

My prethinking - If any current head is promoted to a higher position , then some one else takes his position . So possibility of filling of position by a younger employee is eliminated.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2017
Posts: 128
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 09:45
sayantanc2k wrote:
RaghavSingla wrote:
I was about to choose D when something stuck my mind and I went for C. Here are the 2 choices:

C. reduce the responsibilities of each department
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads

D is good but I had one possible solution in my mind...that the problem is because of more number of departments and few dept heads...what If the company decides to dissolve existing few departments? In that case, the leftover departments could be taken up by dept heads...

Choice C that I interpreted was something like ...some dept would be without dept heads next year...since unitron will NOT reduce the responsibilities of each department i.e. they will not dissolve any of the existing departments...

Can't this also be a possible answer? Or I interpreted the meaning of the word responsibilities too much ?


my problem with D: the company does not have enough ppl to fill dept heads....isnt it safe to assume that they wd have even less ppl who are senior to the dept heads? besides....also, why would a company put higher level managers on lower level positions?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Joined: 11 Sep 2015
Posts: 3447
Location: Canada
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 09:48
Top Contributor
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

(A) raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head

(B) promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions

(C) reduce the responsibilities of each department

(D) have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads

(E) reduces the average number of employees per department


A student asked me to answer this question, so here it goes . . .

1) Read the question stem to determine the question type.
Tricky!
With fill-in-the-blank questions, it's often difficult to determine the question type.
The last sentence reads Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

IMO, this could be an Assumption question or a Strengthen The Argument question.
It doesn't really matter here, since the outcomes are similar.
If it's an Assumption question, then the correct answer choice is necessary to make the conclusion follow from the premises, and if it's a Strengthen The Argument question, then the correct answer choice helps to make the conclusion follow from the premises.

2) Read the argument and summarize the premises and conclusion
PREMISE: Several department heads will retire this year.
PREMISE: Number of qualified EMPLOYEES who could be dept heads = half of what's needed.
PREMISE: Unitron won't hire department heads from outside company.
PREMISE: A department head cannot handle more than one department
CONCLUSION: Next year, some departments won't have a dept head

3) Try to identify what the correct answer might be (before examining the answer choices)
If no luck . . . start checking answer choices.

(A) raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
Regardless of whether the question is an Assumption question or a Strengthen The Argument question, we can still use the NEGATION technique.
The only difference is that, with an Assumption question, we need the negated answer choice to DESTROY the arguments, and with a Strengthen The Argument question, we just need the negated answer choice to HURT the arguments.

NEGATION: Unitron WILL raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
If we make it even harder to become a dept head, then there WILL be departments without a dept head
Since the negated answer choice actually HELPS the conclusion, we can ELIMINATE A

(B) promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions
NEGATION: Unitron WILL promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions
This would result in even fewer dept heads, which means there WILL be departments without a dept head
Since the negated answer choice actually HELPS the conclusion, we can ELIMINATE B

(C) reduce the responsibilities of each department
NEGATION: Unitron WILL reduce the responsibilities of each department
This does not harm/destroy the conclusion, since each dept will still need a dept head.
ELIMINATE C

(D) have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads
NEGATION: Unitron WILL have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads
This means we're going to have a bunch of EXTRA people to become dept heads.
This definitely hurts the conclusion that some departments won't have a dept head next year.
KEEP D

(E) reduce the average number of employees per department
NEGATION: Unitron WILL reducesthe average number of employees per department
This does not harm/destroy the conclusion, since each dept will still need a dept head.
ELIMINATE E

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 06:27
GMATPrepNow wrote:
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

(A) raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head

(B) promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions

(C) reduce the responsibilities of each department

(D) have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads

(E) reduces the average number of employees per department


A student asked me to answer this question, so here it goes . . .

1) Read the question stem to determine the question type.
Tricky!
With fill-in-the-blank questions, it's often difficult to determine the question type.
The last sentence reads Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

IMO, this could be an Assumption question or a Strengthen The Argument question.
It doesn't really matter here, since the outcomes are similar.
If it's an Assumption question, then the correct answer choice is necessary to make the conclusion follow from the premises, and if it's a Strengthen The Argument question, then the correct answer choice helps to make the conclusion follow from the premises.

2) Read the argument and summarize the premises and conclusion
PREMISE: Several department heads will retire this year.
PREMISE: Number of qualified EMPLOYEES who could be dept heads = half of what's needed.
PREMISE: Unitron won't hire department heads from outside company.
PREMISE: A department head cannot handle more than one department
CONCLUSION: Next year, some departments won't have a dept head

3) Try to identify what the correct answer might be (before examining the answer choices)
If no luck . . . start checking answer choices.

(A) raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
Regardless of whether the question is an Assumption question or a Strengthen The Argument question, we can still use the NEGATION technique.
The only difference is that, with an Assumption question, we need the negated answer choice to DESTROY the arguments, and with a Strengthen The Argument question, we just need the negated answer choice to HURT the arguments.

NEGATION: Unitron WILL raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
If we make it even harder to become a dept head, then there WILL be departments without a dept head
Since the negated answer choice actually HELPS the conclusion, we can ELIMINATE A

(B) promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions
NEGATION: Unitron WILL promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions
This would result in even fewer dept heads, which means there WILL be departments without a dept head
Since the negated answer choice actually HELPS the conclusion, we can ELIMINATE B

(C) reduce the responsibilities of each department
NEGATION: Unitron WILL reduce the responsibilities of each department
This does not harm/destroy the conclusion, since each dept will still need a dept head.
ELIMINATE C

(D) have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads
NEGATION: Unitron WILL have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads
This means we're going to have a bunch of EXTRA people to become dept heads.
This definitely hurts the conclusion that some departments won't have a dept head next year.
KEEP D

(E) reduce the average number of employees per department
NEGATION: Unitron WILL reducesthe average number of employees per department
This does not harm/destroy the conclusion, since each dept will still need a dept head.
ELIMINATE E

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent


Thanks GMATPrepNow for that elaborate solution. A quick question. One of the premise tells us that "A department head cannot handle more than one department". Isn't it quite possible that any manager who is currently senior to the department heads might be handling more than one department at a time? Given that, (D) still doesn't hold as a premise already states that a department head can handle only 1 department at a time.
_________________

Thanks & Regards,
Abhirup

CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Joined: 11 Sep 2015
Posts: 3447
Location: Canada
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 08:36
Top Contributor
ovrup007 wrote:
Thanks GMATPrepNow for that elaborate solution. A quick question. One of the premise tells us that "A department head cannot handle more than one department". Isn't it quite possible that any manager who is currently senior to the department heads might be handling more than one department at a time? Given that, (D) still doesn't hold as a premise already states that a department head can handle only 1 department at a time.


It's possible that some seniors (employees that are ABOVE the department heads in the company hierarchy) might already serving as department heads, and it's possible that some senior are department heads for more than one department.
Even if we have all of this, there are tons of vacancies expected for this year, and answer D says that no senior managers will be appointed as department heads.
Since these people (seniors) cannot fill the upcoming vacancies, the conclusion that next year, some departments won't have a dept head is valid.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 20:47
GMATPrepNow wrote:
ovrup007 wrote:
Thanks GMATPrepNow for that elaborate solution. A quick question. One of the premise tells us that "A department head cannot handle more than one department". Isn't it quite possible that any manager who is currently senior to the department heads might be handling more than one department at a time? Given that, (D) still doesn't hold as a premise already states that a department head can handle only 1 department at a time.


It's possible that some seniors (employees that are ABOVE the department heads in the company hierarchy) might already serving as department heads, and it's possible that some senior are department heads for more than one department.
Even if we have all of this, there are tons of vacancies expected for this year, and answer D says that no senior managers will be appointed as department heads.
Since these people (seniors) cannot fill the upcoming vacancies, the conclusion that next year, some departments won't have a dept head is valid.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent


Thanks!! That helps a lot.
_________________

Thanks & Regards,
Abhirup

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2018, 20:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.