GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 05:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:45) correct 36% (01:45) wrong based on 1181 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

(A) raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head

(B) promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions

(C) reduce the responsibilities of each department

(D) have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads

(E) reduces the average number of employees per department

The Question is the same as an old gmat CR question. What makes this one tough are the options.

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 03:50
I was confused between A and D.

But A says "have not raised the minimum qualification"- if it were "have not decreased the qualification"..then this option could have qualified as an answer.

When you are grateful - when you can see what you have - you unlock blessings to flow in your life

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 05:18
A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due to retire this year. The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department, so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______.

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
B. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions
C. reduce the responsibilities of each department
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads
E. reduces the average number of employees per department

I get why D) is right, my doubt is regarding A)

Why is it wrong? Anyone care to clarify?

Thanks in advance

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

Retired Moderator
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 06:46
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads

The Question is the same as an old gmat CR question. What makes this one tough are the options.

This is an Assumption based fill in the blank question.

We need to get what is unstated in the passage...

There is some Unitron Corporation’s department heads are going to retire next year. Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department..This is the main point...if they are not going to hire from outside then it means that Unitorn must hire some person who is well aware of the department i.e he must be senior.. if such seniors go out of company then such department will not have any manager... Hence D is the correct option..

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head ---> This option can't be correct because we need to logically fill the blank and before the blank we have so some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head.. Then we can observe the both statements are contracting.

If they raise the qualification then some one will come into manager position then how can we say that the department has no manager...
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 09:35
I was about to choose D when something stuck my mind and I went for C. Here are the 2 choices:

D is good but I had one possible solution in my mind...that the problem is because of more number of departments and few dept heads...what If the company decides to dissolve existing few departments? In that case, the leftover departments could be taken up by dept heads...

Choice C that I interpreted was something like ...some dept would be without dept heads next year...since unitron will NOT reduce the responsibilities of each department i.e. they will not dissolve any of the existing departments...

Can't this also be a possible answer? Or I interpreted the meaning of the word responsibilities too much ?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 13:11
RaghavSingla wrote:
I was about to choose D when something stuck my mind and I went for C. Here are the 2 choices:

D is good but I had one possible solution in my mind...that the problem is because of more number of departments and few dept heads...what If the company decides to dissolve existing few departments? In that case, the leftover departments could be taken up by dept heads...

Choice C that I interpreted was something like ...some dept would be without dept heads next year...since unitron will NOT reduce the responsibilities of each department i.e. they will not dissolve any of the existing departments...

Can't this also be a possible answer? Or I interpreted the meaning of the word responsibilities too much ?

Test option C and D using negation.

Negate C: Unitron WILL reduce the responsibilities of some departments. Nonetheless Unitron will still require department heads, albeit with reduced responsibilities. Hence negating C does not solve the problem.

Negate D: Unitron WILL appoint senior managers as department heads. Thus negating D solves the problem.

Thus D is the correct answer.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 13:16

Conclusion of the question says that departments will be without department heads. The possible assumptions to reach this conclusion will be:-
1) No one from the company will be appointed as department head for those departments.
2) These departments will not be merged into other departments.

A. raise the minimum qualifications an employee must have to be promoted to department head. So will the departments get their heads?
B. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions How about head?
C. reduce the responsibilities of each department does that mean that the departments will be reduced? no
D. have any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appointed as department heads This is exactly what we are looking for.
E. reduces the average number of employees per department Reduction of employees in department does not mean reduction in department itself.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 19:20

I get why D) is right, my doubt is regarding A)

Why is it wrong? Anyone care to clarify?

Thanks in advance

I rejected A because:
It could be so that Unitron awards promotions to say people who have more experience than better qualifications or maybe Unitron promotes people only basis 'promotion turns-say 3 years'.

Considering all these factors the premise states that only limited people can be promoted,no new heads to be recruited and no sharing responsibilities. So we can pre think that to fill that vacancy only someone on top of the hierarchy can be fixed.

Kudos for a correct solution :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 03:11
Although D is the best, Only problem I have with D is :

The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. :The number of employees other than current department heads including everybody in lower hierarchy from current department heads and upper heirarchy from Current department head.

unitron can fill the vacancy

A. outside the company
B. current department heads take over more than one department
These two are out of scope as per the argument. SO what else??

C. The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening takes two department each as condition that current department heads can't take over more than one department is not applicable to those.

what else??

D. any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appoint them as as department heads. but the question is ( Did "The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening " not included that, because they are also employee of the company?)???
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 09:33
abrakadabra21 wrote:

The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies. :The number of employees other than current department heads including everybody in lower hierarchy from current department heads and upper heirarchy from Current department head.

A. outside the company

C. The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening takes two department each as condition that current department heads can't take over more than one department is not applicable to those.

what else??

D. any manager who are currently senior to the department heads appoint them as as department heads. but the question is ( Did "The number of employees other than current department heads that are identified for the opening " not included that, because they are also employee of the company?)???

Although I didn't get your questions clearly, I will try giving some information based on what I understood.

Here, the argument states that there will be departments without any department heads.

We are given that "Unitron is not going to hire department heads from outside the company or have current department heads take over more than one department".

So, it implies the current employees who are not department heads could be promoted to department head. But author says "some departments will be without department heads next year since Unitron will not ______." => Our assumption is not going to happen. Hence, D is the BEST answer.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 10:58
abrakadabra21 wrote:

A. outside the company

what else??

Your point is "almost"(!) valid. In the sentence "The number of employees other than current department heads who could take on the position of department head is equal to only about half of the expected vacancies." refers to only the employees who are below in hierarchy and does not consider the fact that people higher in hierarchy may also take on the position. Ideally that could have been clarified in the question stem. However consider this way: if D is the correct answer then automatically it is implied that in "The number of employees... " only people lower in hierarchy are considered since there is none suitable above (as per D). This is a case of an interesting cyclic logic; selecting answer D automatically eliminates the problem you mentioned !
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 10:45

Here we need an option which will solve the problem of having more department head from within the company given the conditions in the argument.

We already have a shortage of department heads and if you raise the minimum qualification further it will only aggravate the situation. Eliminate.

That will mean more vacancies and further shortage of department heads. Eliminate.

So what? It doesn't suggest the department with reduced responsibilities won't require a department head.

Now this will solve the problem and should be the answer as we can have more departments heads to fill up from inside the corporation.

Similar to C. It doesn't suggest that department with fewer employees won't require department heads.

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V29

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 17:57
b. promote any current department heads to higher managerial positions

Can some one explain why answer B is incorrect.

My prethinking - If any current head is promoted to a higher position , then some one else takes his position . So possibility of filling of position by a younger employee is eliminated.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 09:45
sayantanc2k wrote:
RaghavSingla wrote:

my problem with D: the company does not have enough ppl to fill dept heads....isnt it safe to assume that they wd have even less ppl who are senior to the dept heads? besides....also, why would a company put higher level managers on lower level positions?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due &nbs [#permalink] 22 Sep 2018, 09:45

A significant number of Unitron Corporation’s department heads are due

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap