Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Statistics and Sets Problemsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [20]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [16]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [13]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29907 [4]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: A student's average (arithmetic mean) test score on 4 tests is 78. Wha [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
A student's average (arithmetic mean) test score on 4 tests is 78. What must be the student's score on a 5th test for the student's average score on the 5 tests to be 80?

(A) 80
(B) 82
(C) 84
(D) 86
(E) 88

My first approach would be identical to the ones shown above. However, we can also solve the question using the weighted averages formula:

Weighted average of groups combined = (group A proportion)(group A average) + (group B proportion)(group B average) + (group C proportion)(group C average) + ...

We want the TOTAL average to equal 80
4/5 of the 5 scores have an average of 78
Let x = average of the 1 remaining test, which is worth 1/5 of the total average.

We get: 80 = (4/5)(78) + (1/5)(x)
Multiply both sides by 5 to get: 400 = 312 + x
Solve: x = 88

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: A student's average (arithmetic mean) test score on 4 tests is 78. Wha [#permalink]
Kudos
I follow Manhattan advice on this one and write the average formula as a first thing:

in order to reach an average of 80 over 5 test the students has to reach 400 points; he now has 78*4= 312.

400-312= 88.

Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [11]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Examining the known average can simply things. We need to reach 80. We currently have 78, four times. 78 is -2 away from 80. Having this four times weights our average -8 off what is desires. To 'catch up' to the average in one test, we must make up the full 8 point deficit in one test. We need an 88. 88 - 8 = 80.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I will suggest a little different solution (not a very great trick) but very useful for finding averages since it can save your "TIME" at the tests...
Average of 5 tests to be 80 suggests - in each test the student scored 80 (and this can make average 80). SO -
In 5th test the student has to score 80 for sure, plus any deficit to make up for the average. We know in 4 tests his averge was 78, which means he is 2 markes short of average(80 in this case) in previous 4 tests and he has to make up for this deficit in the 5th test. Hence he has to score 2 * 4 (deficit * no of tests) = 8. Remember, he has to score 80 also in the 5th test.
Hence in total - 80 + 8 = 88. Choice E

Here is how I would approach - 80 in the 5th test, and 2 *4 = 8 totl 88 n the 5th tests. SO it took few seconds to do the ques... Practise this kind of technique while solving questions n averages has been very handy for m... All the best!!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6272 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A student's average (arithmetic mean) test score on 4 tests is 78. What must be the student's score on a 5th test for the student's average score on the 5 tests to be 80?

(A) 80
(B) 82
(C) 84
(D) 86
(E) 88

To solve, we use the average equation:

average = sum/quantity

We don't know the individual scores for each of the first 4 tests, but because their average is 78, we can think of the first 4 scores as 4 scores of 78 each. We then multiply 78 by 4 to get the sum of those four tests:

78 x 4 = 312

Let's let n = the score on the 5th test. Thus, the sum of the 5 tests is 312 + 5th test score, or 312 + n. Also, because the new average will be 80, we substitute 80 for the new average. We can now solve for n.

Average = sum/quantity

80 = (312 + n)/5

400 = 312 + n

88 = n

The answer is E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

The standard average formula 'approach' is likely the easiest for most Test Takers to use on these types of prompts. However, there is another way to think about this prompt - since the average of the first 4 tests is 78, we can think of those tests as four 78s. For a 5th exam to raise the overall average to 80, that exam has to score 80 points on its own AND raise each of the other 4 tests to 80. Those 4 tests would require an extra 2 points apiece...

80 + 4(2) = 88 points

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

For questions like these we have a very quick method called deviation method.
Fisrt, Average is nothing but adding up everything and dividing it equally.

Let me take a moment to explain how this method works.
Say we are told average weight of a group of 7 persons is 60 Kg. If new person who weighs 76 Kgs joins the group, what will be the new average?

There are 7 people in the group initially and 1 person joins the group. And this new person's weight is 76Kgs.
Now just for a moment assume that the new persons weight was 60kg, which is the same as the initial average .Then if new persons weight was 60 Kgs then the average would remain unchanged. But the new persons weight is 76 Kgs which is 16 kgs more than 60 Kgs.
Average is dividing the weight equally among all people. So this deviation of 16kgs would be divided equally among 8 people of the group.

New Avg= 60 +16/8
New Avg= 62
In general:
New avg= Assumed value +or- (deviation/n+1)

let's take one more Say we were told that 4 Cell Phones were sold at average price of 1200 $, if 5 cell phone is sold at 1100$ what is the new average?

Here if the 5th Cell phone were to sell at 1200$ the new average would have been the same.

So lets assume the price at which fifth cellphone is sold as 1200. Now since the fifth Cellphone is sold at 1100 which is $ 100 less than the assumed price , So this deviation of - $100 would be divided equally among the 5 Cellphones in the group.
hence
new avge= 1200- (100/5)
new avg= 1200-20
new avg=1180/-

So in general ,
New Avg= Assumed new value +or- (deviation)/n+1

No lets try using this in above question,

Lets say the student scores 78 on the fifth test. Now since the new average is increasing the deviation must have been added to the assumed value.lets say the deviation is x
So
80=78+(deviation/5)
80=78+x/5
2=x/5
so x=10
This means deviation 10 from assumed 78 Hence the score on 5 Test must have been 88.

Probus

Originally posted by Probus on 15 Aug 2018, 16:07.
Last edited by Probus on 01 May 2019, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.9
Send PM