Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Clausesx   Subjunctivex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29942 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Re: A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into [#permalink]
Could someone explain the split between If/IS and If/were

I read that when you have a conditional, you always use WERE. When is this a rule and when is it not?

GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into [#permalink]
Kudos
kchen1994 wrote:

I read that when you have a conditional, you always use WERE. When is this a rule and when is it not?

The basic rule:
There are 2 ways to indicate a conditional situation.

"Were the piano out of tune, I would pay to have it tuned." (O)
"If the piano is out of tune, I will pay to have it tuned." (O)

So you use If/will or Were/would for conditionals.

But you never mix these two.
"If the piano is out of tune, I would pay to have it tuned." (X)
"Were the piano out of tune, I will pay to have it tuned." (X)

Rare Case:
If a given sentence is clear that it has subjunctive/conditional statement, you can use if/were as clauses.
The famous Johnny Cash's lyric from <If I were a Carpenter> runs like this:
If I were a carpenter, and you were a lady, would you marry me anyway?

So wrapping up,
use if/is for definitive conditional, if/were for purely speculative conditional.

Refer to page 269 of OG 2019 Verbal Review for further reference under Conditionals and subjunctives section.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [7]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kchen1994 wrote:

GMATNinja

The rules for if/then constructions are pretty straightforward. The verb tense in the "if" clause will dictate the verb tense of the "then" clause. As dcummins noted, there are three scenarios we might encounter.

1) Present tense in the "if" clause: "If my daughter forgets to eat, she will scream at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Forgets" is present tense, so the verb in the "then" clause will be future tense.

2) Past tense in the "if" clause: "If my daughter forgot to eat, she would scream at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Forgot" is past tense, so the verb in the "then" clause takes "would." (Think of "would" as speaking about the future from the perspective of the past.)

3) Past perfect tense in the "if" clause: If my daughter had forgotten to eat, she would have screamed at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Had forgotten" is past perfect, so the "then" takes requires "would have."

Back to the original sentence:

"A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than one wolf for every 39 square miles."

Because the verb in the "if" clause is the present tense "is," the verb tense in the "then" clause takes the future tense "will," so this is an instance of scenario 1 above. It's a little bit harder to recognize because we're accustomed to seeing the "if" clause first, but in this sentence, the order is flipped. However, the logic would be exactly the same if we'd been given: "If the density of the timber population in that region is greater than one wolf for every 39 square miles, the reintroduction of caribou into northern Minnesota will fail."

I hope that helps!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
The rules for if/then constructions are pretty straightforward. The verb tense in the "if" clause will dictate the verb tense of the "then" clause. As dcummins noted, there are three scenarios we might encounter.

1) Present tense in the "if" clause: "If my daughter forgets to eat, she will scream at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Forgets" is present tense, so the verb in the "then" clause will be future tense.

2) Past tense in the "if" clause: "If my daughter forgot to eat, she would scream at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Forgot" is past tense, so the verb in the "then" clause takes "would." (Think of "would" as speaking about the future from the perspective of the past.)

3) Past perfect tense in the "if" clause: If my daughter had forgotten to eat, she would have screamed at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Had forgotten" is past perfect, so the "then" takes requires "would have."

Hi GMATNinja & GMATPrepNow

I would argue that there is much complicated rules than presented above. I saw in many grammar books (not intended for GMAT study but I love English grammar for myself). I found an example here:

https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/gramma ... exceptions
Intern
Intern
Status:No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

(A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than

(B) would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than

(C) should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than

(D) will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than

(E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

The answer is D. Support the second approach.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
1. When the main clause is in present tense, it is grammatically wrong to use the past tense in the sub-clause. Hence would is incorrect in such situations and would is acceptable only in reported texts.

2. The word ‘would’ is sometimes used in subjunctive mood, where there is an element of speculation in the context. However, in the given example, there is no such speculation; It is a categorical ‘if --- then’ structure. Hence normal rules of the conditional sentences apply in the given case; In conditional sentences, while the subordinate conditional clause will be in simple present, the main clause will be in either simple present or simple future

3. Between D and E, let us simply ignore E for using the inappropriate ‘more numerous’ as if density is a countable noun.

The author is predicting, which means can be true or false . Isnt that somewhat speculative and not definitive .
In such case why will triumphs would .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Will vs would
Will wins as the verb used in the first part of the sentence is predicts which is in present tense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Prediction is conditional is nature, although we are using "will" in this sentence?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

(A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than X

It's nonsense to say that the 'density of the timber wolf population' is more numerous than...

(B) would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than X

"would fail provided" is not particularly stylistic

(C) should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than X

The normative 'should' is wrong. Importantly, the past tense 'was greater than' is wrong

(D) will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than CORRECT

(E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than X

There's no such thing as a 'timber wolf density'
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor

(A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
We cannot use present tense in the “if” clause and “would” (the past form of “will”) in the effect clause. Eliminate

(B) would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than
Same as A. Eliminate

The use of “should” distorts the meaning of the sentence. Eliminate

(D) will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
Correct.

We cannot use past tense in the “if” clause and “will” in the effect clause. Eliminate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GRE 1: Q163 V163
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Hi, i am a non-native speaker of English which is why i do not use 'idiomatic phrases' as a definitive tool to eliminate answer choices right away. So this is how i approached this question:

1. what jumped me off was the use of "numerous" to compare density (uncountable)- "density of ...more numerous than"- so choices (A) and (E) are out.

2.(C) doesn't make sense logically-"Expert predicts (at present) that something should fail (in the future) if .. density was greater" ( density was greater in the past ???)

3. Between choices (B) and (D), first off, we do not know the level of certainty with which the expert makes the prediction, therefore, it's not about 'will vs. would'- could be either as long as the meaning is not distorted. Ultimately, it was "greater than vs. more than" and i picked the wrong answer.

What went wrong /missing in my reasoning? GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM

Test Point: Conditional Tense

(A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than ("predicts" is a present tense, "will" should be used)

(B) would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than (Same as A)

(C) should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than (Same as A)

(E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than (" the density were more numerous than...” is not idiomatic)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
godswildchild wrote:
Hi, i am a non-native speaker of English which is why i do not use 'idiomatic phrases' as a definitive tool to eliminate answer choices right away. So this is how i approached this question:

1. what jumped me off was the use of "numerous" to compare density (uncountable)- "density of ...more numerous than"- so choices (A) and (E) are out.

2.(C) doesn't make sense logically-"Expert predicts (at present) that something should fail (in the future) if .. density was greater" ( density was greater in the past ???)

3. Between choices (B) and (D), first off, we do not know the level of certainty with which the expert makes the prediction, therefore, it's not about 'will vs. would'- could be either as long as the meaning is not distorted. Ultimately, it was "greater than vs. more than" and i picked the wrong answer.

What went wrong /missing in my reasoning? GMATNinja

Your first two points are spot-on. It's #3 that got you. :)

Check out our post here about when it's appropriate to use "would" and when it's appropriate to use "will," and let us know if you still have questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
BukrsGmat wrote:

more numerous is wordy and akward therefore out

if conditional better conveys the answer therefore out

Prediction should not be a command therefore out

The tense and meaning is spot on therefore our answer

were isn't the right tense and more numerous is wordy and akward therefore out

Therefore IMO D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts