GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 04:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Re: A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 11:32
Top Contributor
Priyankaagarwalcv wrote:
Please clarify more. First conditional specifies that there is no uncertainty. But the sentence says, "... Predicts....",which shows uncertainty. Will that not be a contradiction?
Sent from my Redmi 3S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Good question!
I'd argue that certainty can exist within a prediction.
For example: I predict that, if you score 800 on the GMAT, you will be pleased.

That said, when it comes to Sentence Correction involving conditional statements, it's much more important to look for parallel structure.

Cheers,
Brent
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 19:18
If..then constructions have strict verb tense rules as follows:

1. If Simple Present Then Simple Present or Simple Future

2. If Simple Past Then Simple PAST or WOULD VERB

3. If Past Perfect then WOULD HAVE <Verb>

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 05:09
. A) more numerous is not idiomatic
B) changes the meaning of the sentence.
C) 'was' is the wrong tense
D) Correct tenses
E) More numerous is not idiomatic. Hence (d).
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 12:49
Could someone explain the split between If/IS and If/were

I read that when you have a conditional, you always use WERE. When is this a rule and when is it not?

GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
B
A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 09:22
kchen1994 wrote:

I read that when you have a conditional, you always use WERE. When is this a rule and when is it not?

The basic rule:
There are 2 ways to indicate a conditional situation.

"Were the piano out of tune, I would pay to have it tuned." (O)
"If the piano is out of tune, I will pay to have it tuned." (O)

So you use If/will or Were/would for conditionals.

But you never mix these two.
"If the piano is out of tune, I would pay to have it tuned." (X)
"Were the piano out of tune, I will pay to have it tuned." (X)

Rare Case:
If a given sentence is clear that it has subjunctive/conditional statement, you can use if/were as clauses.
The famous Johnny Cash's lyric from <If I were a Carpenter> runs like this:
If I were a carpenter, and you were a lady, would you marry me anyway?

So wrapping up,
use if/is for definitive conditional, if/were for purely speculative conditional.

Refer to page 269 of OG 2019 Verbal Review for further reference under Conditionals and subjunctives section.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 14:23
kchen1994 wrote:

GMATNinja

The rules for if/then constructions are pretty straightforward. The verb tense in the "if" clause will dictate the verb tense of the "then" clause. As dcummins noted, there are three scenarios we might encounter.

1) Present tense in the "if" clause: "If my daughter forgets to eat, she will scream at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Forgets" is present tense, so the verb in the "then" clause will be future tense.

2) Past tense in the "if" clause: "If my daughter forgot to eat, she would scream at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Forgot" is past tense, so the verb in the "then" clause takes "would." (Think of "would" as speaking about the future from the perspective of the past.)

3) Past perfect tense in the "if" clause: If my daughter had forgotten to eat, she would have screamed at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Had forgotten" is past perfect, so the "then" takes requires "would have."

Back to the original sentence:

"A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than one wolf for every 39 square miles."

Because the verb in the "if" clause is the present tense "is," the verb tense in the "then" clause takes the future tense "will," so this is an instance of scenario 1 above. It's a little bit harder to recognize because we're accustomed to seeing the "if" clause first, but in this sentence, the order is flipped. However, the logic would be exactly the same if we'd been given: "If the density of the timber population in that region is greater than one wolf for every 39 square miles, the reintroduction of caribou into northern Minnesota will fail."

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 15:47
GMATNinja wrote:
The rules for if/then constructions are pretty straightforward. The verb tense in the "if" clause will dictate the verb tense of the "then" clause. As dcummins noted, there are three scenarios we might encounter.

1) Present tense in the "if" clause: "If my daughter forgets to eat, she will scream at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Forgets" is present tense, so the verb in the "then" clause will be future tense.

2) Past tense in the "if" clause: "If my daughter forgot to eat, she would scream at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Forgot" is past tense, so the verb in the "then" clause takes "would." (Think of "would" as speaking about the future from the perspective of the past.)

3) Past perfect tense in the "if" clause: If my daughter had forgotten to eat, she would have screamed at me for several hours in the middle of the night." "Had forgotten" is past perfect, so the "then" takes requires "would have."

Hi GMATNinja & GMATPrepNow

I would argue that there is much complicated rules than presented above. I saw in many grammar books (not intended for GMAT study but I love English grammar for myself). I found an example here:

https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/gramma ... exceptions
Current Student
G
Status: No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Sales (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 18:42
A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

(A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than

(B) would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than

(C) should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than

(D) will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than

(E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

The answer is D. Support the second approach.
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 21:04
daagh wrote:
1. When the main clause is in present tense, it is grammatically wrong to use the past tense in the sub-clause. Hence would is incorrect in such situations and would is acceptable only in reported texts.

2. The word ‘would’ is sometimes used in subjunctive mood, where there is an element of speculation in the context. However, in the given example, there is no such speculation; It is a categorical ‘if --- then’ structure. Hence normal rules of the conditional sentences apply in the given case; In conditional sentences, while the subordinate conditional clause will be in simple present, the main clause will be in either simple present or simple future

3. Between D and E, let us simply ignore E for using the inappropriate ‘more numerous’ as if density is a countable noun.

The author is predicting, which means can be true or false . Isnt that somewhat speculative and not definitive .
In such case why will triumphs would .
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2019, 21:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics