GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 17:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2013, 10:00
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:45) correct 20% (01:00) wrong based on 93 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

I found this one a bit confusing, could anyone please help?

Ultimate GMAT Grammar Q28:

28. Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a powerful army acted as both Imperial Guard and standing army during the expansion of the Persian Empire in the fourth and fifth century B.C.

a) told how a powerful army acted as both
b) said much how a powerful army filled the ranks of both
c) determined that a powerful army acted as such
d) was saying that of a great army which acted as each a
e) did tell how a powerful army carried out the responsibilities of a

Spoiler: OA and my question
A
I`m confused by the use of say vs tell.
According to the Grammar book from which the question was taken:
"Normally, you say something and you tell someone something."
Why is it different for this sentence?


Thx!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 480
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2013, 10:15
2
ale1teixeira wrote:
I found this one a bit confusing, could anyone please help?

Ultimate GMAT Grammar Q28:

28. Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a powerful army acted as both Imperial Guard and standing army during the expansion of the Persian Empire in the fourth and fifth century B.C.

a) told how a powerful army acted as both
b) said much how a powerful army filled the ranks of both
c) determined that a powerful army acted as such
d) was saying that of a great army which acted as each a
e) did tell how a powerful army carried out the responsibilities of a

Spoiler: OA and my question
A
I`m confused by the use of say vs tell.
According to the Grammar book from which the question was taken:
"Normally, you say something and you tell someone something."
Why is it different for this sentence?


Thx!


Hi ale1teixeira

Yes, "said" would have been better, but the only answer choice that is using "said" is awkward and not concise. (A) even though uses "told" it is the best of all the answer choices. In sentence correction one has to choose the best among all the five answer choices. In most of the sentence correction questions it is way easier to determine why an answer choice is incorrect than to determine why an answer choice is correct. If you are stuck between two answer choices both of which look bad then choose the one which is the less bad than the other.

Hope this helps,

Vercules
_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4323
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2013, 10:28
2
It doesn’t’ make much of a critical difference whether you say something or you say something to someone or you tell something or you tell someone something. But more importantly, none of the choices other than A carries the original intent of the text.

A) told how a powerful army acted as both --- the best choice. The use of both explains that a single army did two things.

B) said much how a powerful army filled the ranks of both --- filling the ranks is not the same as acting as – shift in meaning

C) determined that a powerful army acted as such --- determined is not the same as told.

d) was saying that of a great army which acted as each a – great army is not the same as a powerful army . was saying is wrong tense; as each a – a weird expression

e) did tell how a powerful army carried out the responsibilities of a --- carried out the responsibilities is not the same as acted as.; did tell is un necessary unless you wish to emphasize about telling; otherwise, the report was a simple narration. Told is good enough for the purpose.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2013, 15:08
Thank you very much for the answers.
I think I got it.
In this case, since all the other answer choices are really bad and clearly wrong, we take (A) as the answer even though the use of tell isn`t optimal.
Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 480
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2013, 15:12
ale1teixeira wrote:
Thank you very much for the answers.
I think I got it.
In this case, since all the other answer choices are really bad and clearly wrong, we take (A) as the answer even though the use of tell isn`t optimal.


Yes you got it right, but, usually these are not there with the correct answer choices. The case like this could be rare in actual GMAT, but still possible. So, just make a note of it.

Vercules
_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 75
Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book: Practice Test 2: Q28 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 16:50
4
Friends,

I have a quick question on Q28.

Q28. Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a powerful army acted as both Imperial Guard and standing army during the expansion of the Persian Empire in the fourth and fifth century B.C.
a) told how a powerful army acted as both
b) said much how a powerful army filled the ranks of both
c) determined that a powerful army acted as such
d) was saying that of a great army which acted as each a
e) did tell how a powerful army carried out the responsibilities of a

The book says "told" is always followed by the direct object. However in this example, neither option a) nor e) has an object after told/tell. IF told/tell can go without a following object, then what is the difference between a) and e)? Both options could be right!!

Saurabh
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4668
Re: Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 17:22
2
chaudhurysr wrote:
Friends,

I have a quick question on Q28.

Q28. Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a powerful army acted as both Imperial Guard and standing army during the expansion of the Persian Empire in the fourth and fifth century B.C.
a) told how a powerful army acted as both
b) said much how a powerful army filled the ranks of both
c) determined that a powerful army acted as such
d) was saying that of a great army which acted as each a
e) did tell how a powerful army carried out the responsibilities of a

The book says "told" is always followed by the direct object. However in this example, neither option a) nor e) has an object after told/tell. IF told/tell can go without a following object, then what is the difference between a) and e)? Both options could be right!!

Saurabh

Dear Saurabh,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you are relatively new to GMAT Club. Here's a important guideline you need to learn. Please do not start a brand new thread for a question that has already been posted on GMAT Club. Always search first, because most questions from most major sources already have been posted. It's quite likely that you will find the answer to you question in the discussion in a pre-existent thread, and if you don't, that's the appropriate place to ask your question. I have merged your post into such a pre-existent thread. You may find insight reading through the previous posts in this thread.

My friend, the grammatical piece you are missing is the idea of a substantive clause (also known as a "noun clause"). This is a full clause that takes the place of a noun. See this lesson:
Substantive Clauses
A substantive clause acts as a noun and can take a variety of noun-roles: subject, direct object, or object of a preposition.

In (A), the object of the verb "told" is the substantive clause that begins at "how" and continues to the end of the sentence. All that is the direct object of the verb--after all, all that is what is "told."

In (E), the construction "did tell" is awkward and incorrect. Everything after the verb is fine, but the verb is flawed.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 11 Oct 2016
Posts: 85
Location: India
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 21:09
a) told how a powerful army acted as both
b) said much how a powerful army filled the ranks of both
c) determined that a powerful army acted as such
d) was saying that of a great army which acted as each a
e) did tell how a powerful army carried out the responsibilities of a
_________________

Hit kudos if you like my post

Today's preparation determines tomorrow's achievement.

Re: Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2017, 21:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Aaron’s report on the “Persian Immortals” told how a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.